Anyone know any "Coating" tricks for glass plastic windows?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know they have your UCL (ultra clear lens) and muti-coated glasses and plastics.
is there any oils, or sprays, or simple easy chemicals to do any of these kinds of coatings?
especially an "anti-reflective" type of coating?

for example on our camera lenses they have some kinda oily type of substance on the face of them when new.

certannly there is SOME types of "coatings" that a normal person playing around can test, experiment with and stuff like that.

anything you know about coating multi-coating, or what they do to glass or plastic to change the optical properties? products that claim changing optica properties, anything, science fact, old wives tales.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing that remotely comes close that I've come across is the stuff that I saw on TV for "repairing" scratched up eyeglasses.

I don't have any experience with it, but it was some sort of liquid that supposedly filled in minor scratches and renewed plastic eyeglass lenses. I'm sceptical that it would work well, but other than that I haven't heard of any products like you describe.

Maybe Rain-X, the water-beading aid that sheets rain off auto glass, would be something you could test, but I doubt it would affect a flashlight much.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looked at from an angle, camera lenses can have an 'oily' coloured look from the nonreflective coating without there being any actual liquid involved.

Nonreflective camera lens coatings work by having some very thin transparent layers, thin enough that they can cause interference effects in light hitting them in certain ways.
Oil films on water can spread out until they're a similar kind of thickness to the lens coating, and give a similar appearance even though the oil films are liquid and the lens coatings are solid.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh thanks for that, then i wouldnt be ruining anything to clean these with oil removing cleaners.
it just looks like its oily. that makes sence.