Can the Inova 24/7 safely use a 3.6v Li-ion cell?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody tried to use a 3.6v cell in the 24/7, which is designed for 3.0v? My Ultra Fire WF-138 charger does not properly charge my Soshine 3.0v RCR123's. I do have two 3.6 volt cells which may charge properly, but I need to know if the 24/7 is one of those LED lights that "definitely cannot" be used with 3.6v, "or else!" Thanks.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ons won't fit in it, not mine anyway. I haven't been able to get 3 different style/brands to fit yet. Maybe that's telling us something!

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
Li-ons won't fit in it, not mine anyway. I haven't been able to get 3 different style/brands to fit yet.

I don't understand. My Li-ion fits fine after I ground down the inside of the brass barrell!:whistle:

jarris50

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I use a rechargable 3.6v Li-ion.The one i use is a "MP" brand and fits nicely with no modification to the light. unfortunately I don't recall where these came from, I have to many batteries. Here's a pic if it helps..

EDIT: I found where I got them from. Lighthound.com and there on sale $1.99 each.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1330

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
jarris50 said:
Sorry I wasn't very clear. I use a rechargable 3.6v Li-ion.

Great! I have two 3.6 volt RCR's that I have been afraid of trying. Now I will try them. Thanks.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo DV8 said:
Great! I have two 3.6 volt RCR's that I have been afraid of trying. Now I will try them. Thanks.

Be afraid.... be VERY afraid! I popped a 3.6 volt RCR123 in mine and the white LED section quit working in ten minutes. When I unscrewed the battery cover, it popped off under pressure and a puff of smoke came out! The red and yellow sections still work. I went to purchase another 24/7 and when I got it home I noticed that the red and yellow LED's in the new light are not the same as my old one. The new red and yellow LED's are more narrowly focused, but splotchy. Brighter throughout a narrow angle directly in front of the LED's, but very little spill beyond. It really reduces greatly the off-axis effect of the "hyper-seizure" mode. (Alternating red/white/yellow fast flashing.)

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this thread got bumped, I gotta say the 24/7 worked great in leu of a headlamp. I hooked it to the neckcord of a fleece pullover, and it was fantastic for camping.

Windscale

Enlightened
There have been various threads about 24/7 got blown with 3.6v R123as. I have used UltraFire 3.0v R123as without trouble. UltraFire makes a little charger for 2 x R123as and switchable between 3.6v and 3.0v. I won't try 3.6vs under any circumstances.