Looking for EDC flashlight.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
Looking for an EDC flashlight. Here are a few of the major features i'm looking for:

-All weather/waterproof (Can survive heavy downpour, soaking, puddles).
-Very rugged (Survive heavy weight on it, drops, sand, ect).
-Long run time (I guess at least 5 hours).
-Small (Keychain carry).
-LED
-Decent light output for individual.
-Cheap price ($30)

I was interested in the ARC AAA (Bit expensive) and the CMG Ultra G (Don't know if they still sell them). Anything else out there to consider?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the Fenix AAA lights. I prefer the E1 ($25 - 5% at Fenix Store). LOD-CE is the top of the line. E0 for looong run time. Check Flashlightreviews.com for technical assessments.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
I recommend the Fenix L0D-CE also. It's well worth the extra investment (~$50). I've been carrying mine for a few weeks and absolutely love it.

The output from the different brightness levels is amazing. First, medium level (default) will make you smile. A quick twist on the bezel puts it in low mode and will give you the satisfaction of having a long-running light. Then, another quick twist puts it in high mode and WOW! All that light coming from a AAA battery. (I'm not a big fan of the next two modes: strobe and SOS. But it's nice to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.)

Amaze yourself, your family, and friends and get a Fenix L0D-CE.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since when are Fenix lights waterproof?? True, the Fenix would smoke a standard 5mm LED as far as output, but for decent output I (personally) can get by just fine on a single 5mm LED. It sounds like this will be a beach light, possibly, and while I think Fenix would be a good light on a keychain I don't think it'd go so well on a jetski key or something..

Arc is a possability. CMG is out of business but there are still some around, the lights were replaced by Gerber and are a possability.. How about the Inova X1??

winterzelt

Banned
I know you said 30 bucks but if you wanna have something that won`t let you down take the Fenix P1D-ce . small (a bit thicker but no prom) ultra bright twisty (good for pocket carry) great spill and throw etc. :dedhorse:

ensile

Enlightened
once he see's the output of some of these new lights he aint gonna worry about attaching it too a keyring

ensile

Enlightened
he's looking for something rugged, i'd avoid anything with a glass lense, they can shattter from drops, then your seal is compromised.

good luck, i think you'd be after a pelican or some kind of over the budget arc ( If size is of huge importance). I've heard good things about the gerbers. Flashlight reviews like the gerber trio (tritac), but they are more rugged than petit. :)

where are people getting the arc's from, i can't find them or the EDC ultimate, and whilst i'm on the subject of hard to find things, Atwood accessories, why are they so hard to find, and then when u find them you nearly choke on the price.

/rant

Last edited:

adnj

Enlightened
Fenix lights have been shown to survive a washing machine cycle. I doubt that a surface craft will provide much more of a challenge.

If you are on a jetski, you might want a whole a pelican l1.

vector_joe

Newly Enlightened
Well, this may not fit all your criteria, but you may want to look at it. I just picked up the River Rock 1AA 1W Luxeon last night at Target for $23. I actually hadn't been looking for that one, but saw it and picked it up. Just checked a couple of threads here and it seems to get a favorable review.

At flashlightreviews.com it is listed as 4 stars and is listed as the nuwai X-1. It probably isn't quite small enough for keychain carry even though it is only a 1AA light, and will only last between 1.5-2.5 hours depending on the cell type.

I'm pretty sure that it is my new edc, replacing my inova x1.

arty

Enlightened
Don't forget the Peak Matterhorn. I have a 3-LED ultra power model that costs $35. The single led in lug style is about $30. In ultra power it will put out good white light, and is less expensive than the ARC AAA.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
After reading through the responces so far I narrowed it down to 4 choices:

-Arc AAA
-Ultra G
-Fenix E0
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Peak LED Solutions "Matterhorn" 3 LED[/font]

Now the Arc AAA seems a bit expensive. The Ultra G is not available. The Peak Matterhorn doesn't really last that long with 50%+ brightness according to flashlight review.

So far i'm really leaning towards the Fenix E0. Is it a good light like the review states? Nice long life, durable, great price. (brighter then Arc AAA?)

I think the sand comment threw people off. I just wanted to mention sand and dirt becuase when I work out this thing will be in my pocket and I do it outdoors through all weather conditions. This thing is definately going to dip into puddles and take a beating.

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultra-Gs are available - I'd bet if you offered the price that you'd pay for the E0 you'd get somebody to sell you one..

carrot

Flashaholic
The E0 is a good light. I have had it on my keychain for a full school term and while it is starting to get ugly, it has yet to fail me. I have inspected the E0 for watertightness and I am satisfied that it will shed water easily -- it has an o-ring sealing the LED inside the reflector and another between the body and the head.

But if reliability is of utmost importance, it has been claimed that the more expensive Matterhorn and Arc-AAA will stand the test of time better than the Fenix E0. I am inclined to believe that, but by no means is the Fenix E0 a slouch, nor do I have any real reason to doubt the reliability of the E0. Where runtime is concerned, however, the E0 beats all.

five-0

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
The E0 is a good light. I have had it on my keychain for a full school term and while it is starting to get ugly, it has yet to fail me. I have inspected the E0 for watertightness and I am satisfied that it will shed water easily -- it has an o-ring sealing the LED inside the reflector and another between the body and the head.

But if reliability is of utmost importance, it has been claimed that the more expensive Matterhorn and Arc-AAA will stand the test of time better than the Fenix E0. I am inclined to believe that, but by no means is the Fenix E0 a slouch, nor do I have any real reason to doubt the reliability of the E0. Where runtime is concerned, however, the E0 beats all.

Yeah you can't beat $19.99 for the E0 [can buy two E0's for the price of one Arc AAA]. Great price point, great battery life. My only concern is the duribility. Can it stand up to my vicious workout routine. Running through soaking rain, laying in soaking puddles. Can it survive the desert conditions of Iraq where I will be soon? Getting dropped, stuff dropped on it.

I need a good light becuase I hear the lights tend to go out pretty frequently on US bases in Iraq. Good to have an EDC light and they are just all around useful. Even in my current location a light would be very useful.

The Arc AAA Premium is nice but it cost almost $45 dollars after S&H. The Matterhorn acording to the review doesn't have the greatest battery life.

So far I am really leaning towards the E0. If anyone has another light to throw in or anything to say feel free.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
If you are at all interested in the Matterhorn, I recommend considering the 1-LED model over the 3-LED model. According to Flashlight Reviews it seems the 1-LED Matterhorn is similar in brightness (brighter, even) to the Fenix E0. It should also have longer runtime than the 3-LED model. In any case, this thread prompted me to order a 1-LED Matterhorn so I can evaluate it for myself, having already sampled Arc's previous generation of lights.

I believe that the Fenix E0 should have no trouble living in the desert environment, but I am unfamiliar with the wear and tear the desert may cause on lights.

With flashlights it tends to be that you get what you pay for, but as you go up in price you get less value... I believe that it is generally agreed that Peak and Arc are on par, and Fenix appears to have made a "better" design, utilizing a spring in the body to prevent the circuit board from being crushed due to over tightening (a rare Arc problem)... and with better regulation.

On the other hand, there are those who believe Fenix quality is suspect, as the lights are manufactured in China as opposed to the USA. But Fenix has also shown that they are not your average Chinese manufacturer, opting to improve the products over time, listening to the consumers, and generally offering a great product with excellent value...

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
...According to Flashlight Reviews it seems the 1-LED Matterhorn is similar in brightness (brighter, even) to the Fenix E0....
The 1-LED Matterhorn starts out brighter than the Fenix E0 but its' runtime has a typical alkaline battery decay where it drops below the E0's perfectly flat output in about 40 minutes. and drops steadily from there. At 3 hours it is about 2/3 of the E0's output, and about half at 9 hours.

The E0 has excellent regulation which to me puts it in a different class from the Mattehorn as far as light engine design is concerned. It also costs 1/3 less, shipped....

Last edited: