Questions about my old Surefire M2

ryball

Newly Enlightened
So I went and ordered a beam filter for my old M2, and instead of actually taking measurements to be sure, I just ordered the one that was listed as compatible with the M2. My mistake. My head is 1.25" and it looks like Surefire lists the M2 head as 1.47"

So I went to the surefire website to look, and found out that my M2 looks a lot different than the one on their site.

Here is the pic they have listed:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/m2ha_large.jpg

Mine looks more like a C2 pictured here:

http://www.surefire.com/surefire/content/c2_large2.jpg

My body says Millenium Series M2 Centurion, it came with the p60/p61 lamps, and I knew they changed the clips so that you can clip a lanyard onto it (mine does not). I guess my question is, did the M2 used to have the head like the C2 and did they change it? My serial # is A005xx if that helps any...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Your M2 is really old from back when it didn't have a shock isolated bezel.
I have one of these really old ones too.
The M2 shock isolated bezel was created sometimes afterwards and then after it was released SureFire created the C2 (and also C3).

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, one of the very early M2's is the same as a current C2?

Is the only difference between a C2 and M2 the shock isolated bezel?

Mark

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey I got both of these here SF.M2 styles. I wonder if SF could've made the SI bezel the same size as its first gen series? :thinking:

Enjoy!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M2 comes with both the P60 and P61 Lamp Assemblies, the shock isolated bezel and two o-rings on the TailCap end of the body. The C2 comes with the P60 only, and only one o-ring.

SureFire could've shrunk the Z32 shock isolated bezel so that it was the same diameter as the standard "6P" bezel, however, new lamp assemblies would be required with smaller diameter reflectors (less intense beam etc)

Instead, SureFire made the M2 bezel more durable, tougher, more abuse resistant. I know, I field-tested proto-type M2 bezels. Now-a-days the M2 bezel has recently been on a diet since weight-loss is what troops want and the M95 WeaponLights (using the same bezel as the M2) are issued to thousands of troops.

Al

CLHC

Flashaholic
Probably wouldn't look appealing with that "rubber" surround like the earlier SF.SI bezels had as seen in the HK.MP5's dedicated forearm weaponlights.

Personally, I like the look and feel of the current production SureFire.M2.

Enjoy!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just so we're clear, the current production M2 does not have the same bezel as the M2 in my photo:
al-u2i.jpg

I don't have a photo of a current M2 bezel online yet but Tadgear does here

CHC said:
Probably wouldn't look appealing with that "rubber" surround like the earlier SF.SI bezels had as seen in the HK.MP5's dedicated forearm weaponlights.
The shock isolated bezel used by the MP5 and other forends is the Z32.

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
New version, fins are gone and the head is more textured compred to the rounded earlier version. Fins have more heat transfer I reckon....

Size15's

Flashaholic
jumpstat said:
Fins have more heat transfer I reckon....
Fins (aka increased surface area) transfer heat away when there is active air flowing across/through them (think CPU heatsink & fan combination).

In most cases with flashlights it is just as important (if not more important) for there to be metal mass into which to sink heat from the source (which we'd rather didn't overheat), and heat is transferred through skin contact far better than to the air via fins.

As SureFire have become better at understanding the thermal issues [especially concerning LEDs] they have refined how they manage heat in their products. In most cases this has resulted in a move from bezels with fins to those with better-placed, more effective use of metal mass and thermal routing from source to sink.

Al

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire does invest in R&D (not like some others) which is then transformed into capable, reliable, quality illumination tools.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
I don't have a photo of a current M2 bezel online yet but Tadgear does here
'Ahh, now I see said the blind man. . .'

Okay, I didn't know about the 3rd generation of the SF.M2. Like that "fluted" bezel look.