Cold cathode fluorescent lanterns?

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of the Energizer CCFL lights and was impressed with the output. Does anyone know what kind of lumens per watt CCFLs put out? Are there any quality CCFL lanterns available? The only thing I have seen is the cheap plastic, not waterproof offerings. Any thoughts or feedback on this technology?

Thanks,
Alex

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know what the efficiency is and have not seen but single tube CCFL lights using one straight tube as in the engizers and a U tube in the out of production coleman micro flourescent lantern. I like the flood pattern of them better than anything LED I have seen for area lighting. My guess is the CCFL in the energizer 4AA lights are about 5 watts equivelent output. First time I used one I didn't realize they have a warm up time of a minute or two before they reached full brightness.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think CCFL lights are among the most underrated here on CPF. Their output and small size make them impressive. The Energizer CCFL gets trashed because they used a single 5mm led behind a lens as the forward light source - crummy. But, the CCFL portion of the light runs like a champ. My wife has one as a nightstand light that she uses for reading all the time. I've been using nimh in it, and it's run through a good many charges and is going strong.

Matte tape over the lens improves the 5mm beam alot, btw.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have both the energizer CCFL with LED light and standard bulb and I will say the LED portion is more irritating than useful. I have considered making a heat sink and putting a 3watt LED in the Arcwhite version. IMO it would be nearly ideal with a high output LED spot and CCFL flood and 4AA format. I even took a doublebright apart and used the CCFL tube and ballast in a rayovac 4AA kids lantern and it makes a nice little lantern.

attowatt

Enlightened
Here are pics of one I installed in my 1987 mustang. Some see it and think it looks funny, but when it comes up to full power, as Lynx_Arc wrote, they are impressed. I dont remember what current draw is, but it cant be too much. i installed a 6volt regulator as well.

The slide switch still works for the ccf, so I can open door without light coming on.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been meaning to take apart my Energizer Arcwhite and use the tube in a 4D lantern. I think I may have just found a good one for that task at walmart. They have the 4D Coleman collapsable ones for 11 bucks. They appear to use a PR base incandescent bulb. But the bulb is housed in a nice frosted cylindrical tube that looks like it would work perfect for the CCFL tube. The run time is around 8 hrs on 4AA isn't it? Its gotta be pretty awesome on 4Ds.

This is the one I am thinking would make a good host:

link

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I once considered a CCFL 4D lantern and even have a host for one but decided a single tube wasn't bright enough to bother with such a large lantern and the cheapest I have found the tube/ballast combo was about $6-$7 which would make the lantern cost perhaps nearly the same or more than a nice 15-18 watt version premade. I also haven't found a small enough switch to run one/both tubes and perhaps a LED nightlight also.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally put mine together. It was actually very easy. I will have to post pics. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Since the Arc White CCFL tube had a runtime of about 8 hours on 4AAs, with the 4Ds, it should be around 48 hours. Now we're talking!

Compared to an LED lantern, I like the smoother and more even beam of the CCFL. And unlike normal fluorescents, CCFLs don't mind being cycled. This tube should last the life of the lantern.

SemiMan

Banned
Tested this about 2 years ago. On a fresh set of batteries, the power draw was about 2 watts. I would rate the output perhaps in the 50-60 lumen range. This is a small CCFL and in general, efficiencies of CCFLs drop as their size does.

Semiman