Surefire G2: Long in the Tooth?

Confederate

Enlightened
Just about a year or so ago, Surefire's G2 flashlight could be had for $26 discount. Now they're going everywhere for $36. But do they offer anything over today's new LEDs for roughly the same price? The G2s incandescent flash heads go for $17 and often don't last through two or three sets of batteries (one failed recently after one set of batteries). And Surefire has reduced the estimated bulb life from 30 hours to 20 hours.

Still, I have to say I still like the little lights. It's just that they seem to be vastly overpriced and out of date with today's new offerings.

Why has the G2 gone from a fairly reasonable $26 to a horribly overpriced $36, and what, if any, advantages do they have over available LEDs?

Am I missing something?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/sf_g2nitrolon.jpg

The Surefire G2 is a popular little flashlight, but has
its time both come and gone? The $17 replacement
head and one-hour run time make it a tough sell in
today's LED market.

Last edited by a moderator:

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I have a G2 and never had any problems with the bulb blowing from what I've heard very few people ever have SF bulbs blow running them at spec(ie 2 123As in G2 no RCRs) but that still doesnt explain the markup, I got mine free with my HDS

kwando

Newly Enlightened
i have two G2's but have the original P60 bulb removed and replaced with cree drop in modules... great lights..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't forget the Brinkmann Maxfire LX which is like a G2 except it sells for $17. Of course, quality of the Surefire is better.

Incans still have their place on the market. It is the light most people are used to, it penetrates better in fog then most white LEDs, and render color better then LEDs. A good incan can put out a lot more light then any single LED can provide.

LED have better efficiency, toughness and size but they still need to catch up on brightness and Color renditioning.

I think the MSRP was $36 but some places sell it for cheaper. Then Surefire stopped selling to businesses that sold their lights lower then MSRP. Dealers either had to stop selling Surefires or raise their price to MSRP.

mdocod

Flashaholic
spend some time outdoors, not in your backyard, I mean out the woods, when it rains, in the fog, in the snow.

Then spend some time trying to light up objects in environments with lots of various light pollution. (like an address on a front porch positioned in such a way that the porch light only blinds you from reading the address)... Then make the address numbers black on an old brown/blackened rotting-wood background..

Then you realize that it doesn't matter how cool LEDs are, the trade off of using an incandecent is worth it in many situations. The G2 is not meant to be a bargain light, You're paying for the SF name and warranty.

You also haven't taken into consideration all the available after market options for the G2, it can be made a creeLED light for about $13, it can be made brighter, it can be made rechargable, it can last a lifetime. There will be parts available for it for years to come. You can't say that about most of the new fancy china made LED lights.

(this argument coming from a guy who hates when companies are able to justify huge mark-ups because of their name. The G2 price doesn't bother me much, but lights like the U2 are so far beyond overpriced I can't even begin to fathom the amount of gold that would have to be contained within the U2 to make it actually worth the price, lol)

Confederate

Enlightened
Well, these are the types of replies I was hoping for. One of the main reasons I like the Surefire G2 is the brightness. I give them to galfriends of mine to hold in their hands to and from their cars. The lights are so bright they can temporarily blind assailants, plus the fact that they can reinforce the fist for punching.

I've been using an Inova T4 for my primary light around the house. I've also been watching the new Felics offerings, which are starting to really throw light with LEDs. I'd have to say Inovas are my favorite at the moment, but I'm interested in the LED head for the G2. Where is that available?

A techie at Surefire said some flash heads blow when people change batteries. The sudden increase in voltage can do in some heads that are defective, and they said they would replace those.

Is the light worth $36? That's what I'm still struggling with. If anyone here has used theirs aggressively, camping or otherwise, I'd be interested in hearing from you. I will do some outdoor testing to see how well the T4 and T3 compare at longer ranges.

Thanks for the replies! Oh, and has anyone ever used the more powerful flash heads? They last only 20 minutes, "but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends, it gives a lovely light!"

http://www.batterystation.com/G2multi.jpg

Just like M&Ms...how about one in international orange?
They do have a certain appeal....

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd totally buy a G2 in orange!! Let's do it, Surefire!!

Ohh, back on topic - I think the G2 is totally worth it at $40. I've been through a bunch of batteries without blowing a bulb, even the P61.. and it feels so good in the hand on a cold day ;)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulb life varies widely, I had one bulb that didn't make it through 1 set of batteries
but Surefire sent me another bulb for free. I bought LED drop in's for my G2's and
they work very well, no anodize to scratch and I added a clickie to it as well. Nice
size as well.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Confederate said:
I've also been watching the new Felics offerings, which are starting to really throw light with LEDs.

I like that! I'm going to start calling them Felics from now on...
Glad to see another Inova disciple on board too :)
As for the Original Topic, SureFire G2... well, the economics of primary lithium CR123A batteries being what they are... ($3.70 a piece for one SureFire CR123A where I live...and that's about the cheapest good quality... wouldn't want to use those "$1 blue ones" in an incandescent like the G2) places most SureFire lights beyond my economic envelope. The G2 would cost $7 an hour to operate for me. (unless I ordered in el cheapo blue wrapper batts from batterystation ;) )

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
I use el cheapo CR123A batteries in all of my SureFires (G2, E2e, E1L, L4, E1e). No problems.

I'm getting intrigued by these new-fangled Felics lights...

Size15's

Flashaholic
Confederate said:
The G2s incandescent flash heads go for $17 and often don't last through two or three sets of batteries (one failed recently after one set of batteries)
Where is the evidence for this?
Did you call SureFire, explain that the bulb failed so soon? In this rare instance SureFire have replaced such lamp assemblies since this is not normal.

Confederate said:
And Surefire has reduced the estimated bulb life from 30 hours to 20 hours.
Do you have any evidence for this?

I agree with wanting the G2 in orange though. I've been wanting that for years!

Al

Merkava_4

Newly Enlightened
kwando said:
i have two G2's but have the original P60 bulb removed and replaced with cree drop in modules... great lights..

I'm curious as to which Cree drop-in module that would be. :grin2:

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
IMO, no, the G2 is not worth the price at $36. It's a good light, just no a good value.
There are competing aluminum incans just as bright, for less.
Or a $17 (last one I got was only $11) Maxfire LX. The G2 should be priced $25 MSRP.
It's plastic afterall.
For $36, you can get some very bright LEDs, Huntlight for example.
For not much more, a Streamlight TL-3.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confederate said:
Just about a year or so ago, Surefire's G2 flashlight could be had for $26 discount. Now they're going everywhere for $36.

G2s are the only Surefire lights I still own, having got rid of my others. Of course the G2 is a little overpriced, but all Surefire lights are overpriced. Even so, the G2 is still a decent value. The G2 is a good emergency-backup light for outdoors use, and also to carry in a car for emergency use.

The G2 is WAY too expensive per hour to use for normal, everyday flashlight purposes, given the cost of cells and replacement incans.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
A G2 is my EDC. I have been using it for at least 4 years now. I have no clue how many sets of batteries have been through it, probably 4 dozen and I am still on the original P60 lamp. And the G2 has been used fairly hard and has been dropped a few times. I even used it for an hour solid one day and managed to melt the lexan lens. I would not give up my G2 for anything. I have a 6P and a Z2, but the G2 is the one that gets used the most.

On the other side of things, I want an orange G3, but I'll take an orange G2.

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Whether the G2 is overpriced or not, is a matter of opinion I think. I don't think it's overpriced at all.
And I certainly can't relate to the P60 lasting two or three sets of batteries. The very first Surfire I ever bought four years ago, a 6P, is still running on the original P60 according to the new owner of it.
My three G2's have been usedheavily and never blown a lamp assembly.
And as mdococ said, they work extremely well for "real world" use!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a G2 (green) and really like it. The nitrolon housing is wonderful, as I've used it on hikes (mud, dirt, sand, water) and working on the car and haven't worried a bit about scratching or marring the body. The grips on the body are great too, so it is easy to hold when wet or when wearing gloves. And I love the fact that I have a nice, rugged, trusty incan when needed.

Something that I've learned, with many applications, is that specs don't add up to the whole of an item. This is an intrinsically great little light.