THREE hours $$$ 20 $$$ CR2-ION XRE Upgrade

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Previous, I have shown you guys about the 30 minute $$$ 10 $$$ CR2-Ion XRE Upgrade.
Well this time I decided to step up the ante a little bit to a 3 hrs $$$ 20 $$$ XRE Upgrade :sssh:

So here goes.

Step 1. Completely disassemble the light, first off by removing the retaining ring, pill, LE can, reflector etc. [5 minutes]

Step 2. Apply a small amount of solder to the center trace, with a needle nose plier you should be able to remove the exist Cree X-Lamp 7090. Fire up your oven & preheat to 300F. Apply a small amount of solder paste, align your new Cree XRE Q3 and drop them in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let it cool. [15 minutes]

Step 3. Turn down any McR-XR reflector to size. 0.530" OD & 0.420" length (not including alignment ring). [30 minutes]
1reflectorjc8.jpg

Step 4. Bore the LE insert to hold the reflector. [30 minutes]
a) 29/64 thru drill
b) Bore a shoulder 0.532" ID & 0.205" deep
2lesv9.jpg

Yeah I kapton mine. The OD was mirrored polished and chrome I didn't want to leave any marks there.

3overviewnh9.jpg

This is what you get after 2 hrs of prepping and machining. Worth it? Prolly not!

Step 5. Reinstall the head/oring/lens/reflector/LE [10 minutes]
Do not tighten down the head just yet. Just screw it in enough so the oring is barely compressed.

4oringswf2.jpg

Using a small jewler's flathead screwdriver push the oring inward. Why the H@!! do I have to do this? Well because the oring is undersize, the ID should have been 1.5mm larger. So you're stretching it and hidding it when you poke it with the screwdriver.

Step 6. At this point insert the pill (converter/can) and reinstall the retaining ring. You should have a perfectly aligned phosphor layer (thanx McGizmo). [10 minutes]
5alignmentdg6.jpg

Step 7. Finally tighten down the LE vs head. Make sure the retaining ring on the other end is not pushed out. The LE head is now ready for action. [5 minutes]
6headwr5.jpg

Step 8. Well install some batteries, Krytox lube the threads & orings and the the puppy rocks! :rock: [5 minutes]
7donetg8.jpg

So after three hours of work and $20 of parts (reflector/$13, XRE emitter/$7), the ION is back in commission and able to pump out just as much lumens as the next guys around the block.

Now sending the light back to the original owner :( :ironic: it's so so hard. ... :ohgeez:
Can this be improved upon? Yes, but leave that to the final ION mod chapter. TBD at a later time and place :whistle: :lolsign:

ENJOY EVERYONE! :buddies:

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice mod, really nice, I love the reflector...

Btw, can I borrow your lathe ?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan just wanted to show off his Hardinge HLV-H :) I knew I should have bought that one when I had the chance!

Mac

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx guys for the good words.

Led_Blind: service is free if you live near me. Just drop by and I'll guide you thru the mod process yourself.

cmacclel: some of us choose to guy big house, nice cars, and have the latest computer/gadgets. I like to buy oldies stuff :D

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonathan,

You disappointed me! I thought you were going to show me how's it's really done..with a LARGER reflector =p

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icarus: Hey Freddy, U're alive. Welcome back my friend.

goldserve: This unit belongs to one of the guy in the Exotic Coating GB. I can't do just anything I like to it. Besides I don't think he'll like it when it's part bare Ti and part TiN. And his original requirement is to keep the low/hi intact. The 1.5mm enlargement solution is to be used with the FluPIC (EXCLUSIVELY!) heheh!