Bump in the night, an emergency and a dead LED

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few hours previous to last nights 1 a.m. application of Murphy's law I had a conversation with js where we concluded that at some point in time your favorite light becomes technologically obsolete but yet it still fills the niche and purpose that you put it to and that is how it became your favorite, or one of them. The likelihood is you will keep using it.
I have two Nuwai TM-800X3, http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111651&highlight=tm-800x3
and run both on 4x C cells. I really recommend them in spite of newer technology in lights now available. I recently charged my 4 PowerX 5000 C's and let them rest a few days.
Last night at about 1 a.m. my furry burglar alarm went off! Yes, all ten (10) ankle biters decided there was something in the fenced back yard and if you ever had dogs for pets you can tell when they bark just how serious they are about the disturbance. They were very serious. In the past it has been meth-heads, illegal aliens, neighborhood drunks, bobcats, coyotes and collard peccaries and yes, I live in suburbia!
On my way out in the dark I grabbed a Glock and this is where Murphy starts working, I picked up the one without the weapons light. When my hand swept across the chest where a myriad of lights stood I felt that familiar grenade knurling of one of the Nuwais and so it went with me.
Here is where real life is different than the best laid plans. I had a real threat to respond to and no back up tools, only had just what was needed to get the job done. The TM-800X3 is tri-lux, the first press of the switch is one LED, 2cd press is two LEDs and the third is Three LEDs. On 4 Cs these lights can realistically surpass 200 torch-lumens it seems and are much brighter than on 3Ds. My first press I got nothing but a very dim glow. It looks like the LED was over powered and blew. The inherent nature and value of this light is the built-in back up, the second and third clicks gave me much needed light.
The intruder fled; near-naked men waving guns and glowing LEDs are a frightening sight but the truth is no one wants to go up against ankle biters!
The common mod for the TM-800X3 is to substitute 4C NiMh cells for the intended 3D Alkaline cells. Apparently the 0.3 volts over voltage on the one LED was too much; the circuits are three parallel circuits of the LED on a resistor. I run the other TM-800X3 on BatterySpace Powerizer 5000 and have had no problem with them. It is reported elsewhere the PowerX is a strong battery. Well, I am going to post in the mod section now because I think this repair warrants a Cree upgrade.

Last edited:

Weylan

Enlightened
I think the intruder was just frightened by the mostly naked man standing in the doorway! <GD&R> by no means the glock and the dogs, that would be too easy.

I would love to suggest like you said the Cree upgrade, but also the light I have come to like is a 3 LUX3 LED 2C MAG, with a PTS2, 3x IMS reflectors, using 2x 18650s, and MAXFLEX running 1000ma. This combo works for me outside, but not everyone can get the MAXFLEX to run at this current it seems. Inside I have to scale it back to 750-500ma because inside it is just too much light in general.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Ha, I read the title and expected you got robbed or something because your light was dead, but alas it was a better situation that that and you were fine.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably wouldn't run an emergency light on old-style nimhs (MAYBE on the new low discharge nimhs...) because I know I'd forget to keep them refreshed and they'd be flat when I needed them. Probably just me...

C4LED

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
I probably wouldn't run an emergency light on old-style nimhs (MAYBE on the new low discharge nimhs...) because I know I'd forget to keep them refreshed and they'd be flat when I needed them. Probably just me...

Same thought here...

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Good point. I do keep on top of the self discharge problems. All emergency lights are ready any-time. Murphy's law again the TM-800x3 I grabbed was next to a MagCharger that was plug into a live charger and powers a 5761 for @900 torch lumens.
My personal vehicles that I do not drive often sit on float chargers too. Most people do not take the time to keep any of their batteries serviced. When I work nights, the first thing I do when I get home is drop all lights or baatteries into a charger and then I take off my coat.

big beam

Enlightened
Hi NL
Let us know how you get the head off the nuwai.I can't seem to get mine apart.I would love to mod mine with a driver and SSC and run it off alki's.Ni-mh are a pain to keep topping off.Please keep us posted.

DON

luminari

Newly Enlightened
wow, that's some scary stuff. Glad it worked out ok... Yeah, it's for times like these that I wish I still had my Tesla-6.

Dogs rock! How big are "ankle biters"? :D

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
luminari said:
wow, that's some scary stuff. Glad it worked out ok... Yeah, it's for times like these that I wish I still had my Tesla-6.

Dogs rock! How big are "ankle biters"? :D
American Eskimo, 20 lbs. 20",Sunny, 8 years old is the biggest and Apple Head Toy Chihuahua, Miracle, is the smallest, 2.5 lbs., 4 " 13 years old and 8 of the menagerie in between to inlude 3 different dachshund mixes, small Pomeranian, Deer Chihuahua, Rat Terrier, a fur ball that is as small as a yorkie and the viscious one that bites me everyday if I do not hold her, all in the palm of my hand, Miracle's aunt, Grable, 15 years at 3 lbs.

Hans

Enlightened
big beam said:
Ni-mh are a pain to keep topping off.

Not really. Switch to Sanyo Eneloops. Just about the most important development in NiMH technology for many years.

Hans

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Learjet said:
My 10kg cat may mistake some of those as rats. :D

I'm thinking for things that go bump in the night keep a 6D handy.
Our local Pack Rats and Antelope Jack Rabbits are bigger than the "huas"! I almost lost one to a hawk one day while the dog played at my feet! A 6D is still too close for me, but again with a good hot wire in it I can see where to aim.

big beam

Enlightened
Hans said:
Not really. Switch to Sanyo Eneloops. Just about the most important development in NiMH technology for many years.

Hans

The mod for this nuwai light takes 4C cells
DON

BTW I wish they made eneloops in C and D sizes!!!

Learjet

Enlightened
big beam said:
BTW I wish they made eneloops in C and D sizes!!!

I've been running Vapextech 9000mah for my D's and they don't seem to self discharge nearly as badly as the small AA/AAA cells. I've been quite happy with them.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Northern Lights said:
American Eskimo, 20 lbs. 20",Sunny, 8 years old is the biggest and Apple Head Toy Chihuahua, Miracle, is the smallest, 2.5 lbs., 4 " 13 years old and 8 of the menagerie in between to inlude 3 different dachshund mixes, small Pomeranian, Deer Chihuahua, Rat Terrier, a fur ball that is as small as a yorkie and the viscious one that bites me everyday if I do not hold her, all in the palm of my hand, Miracle's aunt, Grable, 15 years at 3 lbs.
You've got a bunch of SMALL dogs.

When I was a kid, I had a Minpin who weighed 5 lbs, but she thought she was bigger...Much bigger.

Now I have one that weighs 7 lbs, but at least she understands that. Fewer lawsuits this way...

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
big beam said:
Hi NL
Let us know how you get the head off the nuwai.I can't seem to get mine apart.I would love to mod mine with a driver and SSC and run it off alki's.Ni-mh are a pain to keep topping off.Please keep us posted.
DON
I need to bump this so you guys pick up on the new post. I just took the head off the newer light. The light is 4 parts, tail cap, tube, head and bezel. Head and Bezel are locktite on. I used a cigar lighter/torch around the bezel just hot enough to be just under uncomfortable. Do not heat enough to melt plastic. Then use rubber strap wrenches. Once the bezel is off use an edge like a needle size screw driver and pry around the edge of the reflector,do not touch the inside of it. Once up enough grab it and lift it off. Look in and see the retaining ring, it is threaded. When you replace it notice it was riding on the negative contact solder points of the Lux III LEDs, you put it down on the positive and you shorted it. Each LED carries a jumper to ground that goes under the star. That is not a thin head sink. My old one had a damaged LED. So the newer one gave up one of the two good ones and I put it into the old one. Took 20 minutes from start to finish, darn forgot to look at the BIN code.

Last edited:

ensile

Enlightened
does everyone in america own a gun or many guns? every-second story has a glock in it!!

ESD

Newly Enlightened
ensile said:
does everyone in america own a gun or many guns? every-second story has a glock in it!!

Glocks are quite popular for self defense applications and deservedly so, but the actual percentage of the population that owns guns of any sort varies greatly depending on locale. The most general correlation is areas with higher crime are areas where fewer of the civilians have guns.

Many of us also have dogs and Dakota, the smallest of our three, is 20X his smallest while Rugby, our biggest, is 8X his biggest. ;-) People stop what they are doing and turn around when they hear his BIG DEEP WOOF.

Of course, many of us also have flashlights...