What's The Best LED Drop-In For The Mag Solitare?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the best drop-in or pill or whatever now for the mag Solitare? I'd really like to use one of AW's 3.7V AAAs but one that will accept an alkaline or primary Li-ion AAA would be acceptable. Thanks.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sandwich Shoppe said:
The most you can run the Solitaire modules is on 1.9 volts input. The Solitaire module can only run on 1 x AAA battery, AAA lithium, NiMH, alkaline or carbon zinc.
from
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_52_82&products_id=861
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_52_82&products_id=865
Solitaire modules use a 3mm LED. They are only good for 20mA not the 1000mA of the Cree in the L0D-CE. Also they are only plugged into the bulb socket and not heatsinked to the body of the flashlight. So trying to push them with any 3.7V Lion will destroy them. The AAA lithium referred to above is an Energizer L92 primary at 1.7V.

While the drop in is about 4X the stock bulb it is only about as bright as the L0D-CE low on NiMH.

If you wanted a really bright AAA light you are limited at present to the Fenix L0D-CE, LiteFlux LF2 or Baltic SSC with SPECIAL ULTRA POWER. Note the basic Baltic SSC like the Huntlight FTA3 Cree is designed for max runtime with a reasonable brightness and is not very bright.

If You do not want to spend the money to buy a Fenix L0D-CE, look at the Fenix E1. It has a tiny but bright hotspot. The hotspot is actually brighter than my L0D-CE high with it's rather wide hotspot.

Here is a comparison review with beamshots of the Soli module, E1, and 1st (or 2nd) generation Dorcy.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129046

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all!

LEDninja,
Thanks for a very informative reply and for the link with the comparison shots.

You know, I've been around here from the beginning and I just can't keep up with things any longer especially since the monster Cree and P4 explosion and I don't hang here as much as I used to. If you're not here everyday, flashlight technology is moving so fast, you're left in the dust!

My wife has an old, (probably at least 15 years), Solitare that she REFUSES to give up. To her that dim, yellow beam looks fine and she LOVES the form factor of the Solitare. Enough's enough though and I want to upgrade it.

I knew there were drop-ins but wasn't sure of what was available now. Again, thanks for all the suggestions and the 3mm LED plug in looks fine.

P.S. Oh yeah, a little tip. If you want a super flood beam from those tiny reflectors, paint them with the GP/epoxy mix or paint. I've been doing it for years and it gives a huge flood beam and has the extra benefit of glowing after you turn the light off. Great for close up work or lighting a dark path in total darkness.

kavvika

Enlightened
Whatever you do, go for the dropin at the Sandwich Shop and pass on the lt-3. The lt-3 is much more expensive and dimmer. I was planning on buying the sandwich shop dropin but there was a L0D-CE for sale for a price I could not pass up.

Pathlight

Newly Enlightened
Gene,
I have a module from sanwich shope and it's pretty good. I did a mod which I
like much better though. put in a Nichia CS U bin 5mm led. pulled reflector out
and enlarged opening for bulb (VERY CAREFULLY). used a Li-ion 10280 and a
spacer, no resister. it draws 40ma max. if you use a 10440 batt. it might draw
more. always check.

The result is brighter, with much better flood than ss mod. and has adjustable
focus. Best of luck.

Cheers, Gordon

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:
If You do not want to spend the money to buy a Fenix L0D-CE, look at the Fenix E1.

Then when you're done looking at it's blue-purple, ringy beam, throw in a $7 SSC and prepare to be blown away! For about 2/3 the price of an LOD-CE, you get comparable brightness, way better regulation, and hassle-free single-mode operation. Plus, you can get it in natural finish.

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a bulb from a MiniMag into my Solitare, and then dropped in a li ion battery.
The Li-ion somewhat overdrives the MiniMag bulb, but doesn't make it insta:poof:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried running mine in a soli in candle mode. The TerraLUX TLE-20 does not work well in a soli. It just glows dimly. I put mine back on my 2AAA minimag.
MattK said:
I understand that a TerraLUX TLE-20 can be modded to fit a solitaire (mod as in cut/file the PCB to be smaller)
EDIT
I guess the TLE-20+10440 Li-on will work. But I don't have a 10440 to try out.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It works but not as well as in a 2 cell light. Sort of 1/2 the output. or a little less. I am useng NiMH (1.2-1.3V) which could have put the module into moon mode.
I just tried the TLE-20/soli with an Energizer L92. It is much brighter ~+50% than with a RayOvac hybrid but not as bright as the ARCmania SMJLED module from the Shoppe.
IIRC the stock bulb of the soli is really dimmm and a little too orange yellow. So any LED that lights up is an improvement. At least it is white.
MattK said:
Hmm, one of my customers said it worked and he just had to file down the PCB - weird.