Which Arc LS 123 battery holder do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA FACTS

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I just received my first Arc LS. Its a second. The bezel is first rate and so is the 123 cap, but the finish on the main housing connected to the bezel is pretty worn. Having said that, Its fairly white and has good output.

Regarding the 123 battery compartment; mine takes 2 1/2 turns from on to when the cap falls off. Also, I have ran surefire, toshiba, and sanyo batteries with no problems. I read other who have had problems in these areas. It has the green pcb and rubber washer and I suspect its the 400ma hybrid. I paid $49.95 from Arc.

My questions to you pros out there is;

Did I get lucky and get the better 123 battery compartment availible for the older LS?

Would you guys return it because of the finish on the main housing? Its worn in many spots to the metal but the light functions perfectly.

Thanks,

Tomas

Banned
My opinion only:

I'm much more concerned with reliable operation than I am with the beauty of the finish. Since I buy my flashlights to be working, functional tools rather than as techie works of art I would keep it.

Besides, if it is carried and used the finish will eventually look like yours does now, even on a "perfect" example . . .

tomsig01.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Personally, the only time I have an issue with the finish is when it's a 1st. For $120, I don't want any flaws. With a 2nd however, I'm only concerned about functionality and that it works like it should.

If it were if-fact a 1st and you paid $120 for it and it's cosmetically flawed, I'd take issue with it and send it back. Now, with that being said, I'm fearful as to whether or not you'd get anything better on the retun unit. If everything else is fine (IE: works as advertised, good centered white beam), you may be better advised to keep it.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would keep it. I mean after all, it is a second.
smile.gif

Peter stated that a second may have blemishes, beam tint variations, brightness variations, etc.

A lot of people are saying there are scratches on their Arc seconds. I wish I had taken a before shot of mine. It looked like someone took it to a dremel tool and ground the HA off in several spots. Then I realized it was silver-filled conductive epoxy. If I wouldn't have read "munroe's" post about this I would have thought it was bare metal showing. So I used mineral spirits and a rough SOS pad and scrubbed as hard as I could and it all came off. Now there are just a couple small scratches that are "real". So be sure that some of your scratches are not silver epoxy.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy with the beam and the operation then I would definitely keep it.

To answer your second question about which battery holder you have...
The old style 123 pack had a raised nipple on the bottom while the new style has an inverted nipple on a raised pad.
Peter called it the castle in the moat.
smile.gif

SuRgE

Enlightened
Sean,

You the MAN!!

What I thought was metal was silver epoxy like you said. Used a sos pad and rubbing alcohol and BAMMMMMMM my Arc SLS that I paid $49 for looks new.

Thanks, I was alittle depressed because it did look like someone took a dremel to it.

Over and out,

Happy camper!

Status
Not open for further replies.