MacAttack through Windoze ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought...

If you are running Windoze on the new iMac, are they then also susceptible to virus etc attack, that the iMac/Apple combination is very good at protecting you from via built in Apple firewalls etc ?

If it did attack you, would it only attack Windoze applications, or attack iMac too.

Not a problem for me, yet, but I am probably going to upgrade my iMacs to newer ones later on this year.

kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
It should affect only the Windows part, there are no virus or something like that for the OS X, because it has a completly different structure than WIN.

Ok, some Antivirus-producers are telling different stories........

I´ve got my iMac now for 2 years, 24/7 online and no firewall, no antivir installed and nothing.....

The only thing that could happen is that you could send infected files from your HD by mail to other (WIN)users and so would infect those PCs

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
kingoftf said:
I´ve got my iMac now for 2 years, 24/7 online and no firewall, no antivir installed and nothing.....

Do you not have the standard Apple Firewall installed, which shows everytime you boot ?

Along with the security patch updates ?

As you, no problems at all, just done repair/verify disk permissions, (Disk Utility) speeds it up a lot.

Last edited:

Sable

Enlightened
Any virus you pick up through your Windows partition should only affect that Windows drive - especially if you don't have any HFS+ drivers loaded into Windows (Do they even exist?).

In other words, the Windows VM or boot partition won't know how to write or read to the file system OS X is using by default, so any virus the Windows side picked up should stay localized to just that part of the drive. With VMWare (And Parallels, I think) you can just take your Windows VM install and trash it from OS X, too - no more virus! :)