Maglite 2D SSC P4 Micropuck Tutorial (loads of pics)

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Following on from 3rd Shifts great tutorials, here's my own.
In this tutorial I plan to show how to build a Maglite 2D fitted with a SSC P4 emitter powered with 2 D cells by a Micropuck boost driver.

Parts list:
Here's a list of where I got all my parts, there are alternatives, so look around for yourself. Bear in mind I'm based in the UK, you may find a better deal depending were you live.

Maglite 2D - This one was custom machined by CPF member RCatR, see here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160689
Or for a standard maglite (if you are in the UK) www.7dayshop.com have many colours at a good price.
Heatsink - from Warren at Litemania in dealers section see here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153522
Driver - Luxdrive MicroPuck 2009A SHO 500mA from http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/ .Please note: these were not on the website, but I emailed them and they got some in a couple of weeks (very good customer service).
Conductive glue - I use two part epoxy mixed 50/50 with zinc oxide powder (borrowed from work).
Heat sink compound - RS supplies.
Tool list:
Hacksaw
Pliers
Allen keys
Side cutters
Wire strippers
Soldering iron
A nice cup of tea and biscuit (optional)

Here's the nice new Maglite 2D

DSC00086.jpg

Reflector

Take everything apart. Take the head off the body, unscrew the front and remove the clear lens, o ring and put in a safe place. Take the reflector and cut off the long cammed straight. Leave around 2 to 3mm of tube. BE CAREFUL don't clean any plastic bits off the reflector with your fingers/a rag etc, it will scratch VERY easily.
Sorry forgot to take any pics.

Switch mod and driver

Remove the rubber boot on the switch with fingernails or small screw driver (gently). Undo the hexagon grub screw with an Allen key.

Push the switch down and push it out the back of the body.

Use the same Allen key to undo the bulbholder, remove and throw it in the bin. Cut the long tube down to the base of the switch body.

DSC00092.jpg

Cut/snip the negative tag down to the same length as the plastic tube. Solder the black wire of the Micropuck to the negative tag at the bottom, and the red wire to the positive on the side of the switch. You can cover the bare wires with heat shrink tubing as I did, but it's not necessary.

DSC00097.jpg

Re-install the switch, place the Micro puck through the Maglite first so that it dangles out the top when the switch is in place. DO NOT PUT BATTERIES IN, the Micropuck will die if powered up without any load (i.e. LED) connected to it. You can guess how I found that out....

Emitter/Heatsink

Take the emitter and straighten the two leads gently with a pair of pliers.

DSC00089.jpg

Put the conductive glue on the heatsink and place the emitter. The heat sink from litemania come anodised so there's no need to isolate the SSC emitter base, it also has a locating ring which really helps centre the emitter. Once stuck leave to dry. You can apply slight pressure during curing, I did this with an old 27mm optic and a battery.

DSC00090.jpg

Wire up emitter

Once dry, you now have to solder the output leads from the micropuck to the emitter. Before that, you need to cut down the emitter leads. I just used a pair of side cutters.

DSC00094.jpg

Now tin the emitter leads and the driver wires with solder. Pass the two wires through the heatsink holes and solder to the emitter leads. Steady hands required. Make sure you get the wires the correct way round.

Green = Negative

Orange = Positive

The negative side of the emitter has a "U" shape removed from the metal.

DSC00099.jpg

Now you can put some batteries in an check it works before final assembly.

DSC00098.jpg

I don't like parts rattling around, so I glued the driver down to the underside of the heatsink, and place some more glue around the holes where the two wires enter to prevent any movement during use.

DSC00100.jpg

Once the glue has set, insert the heatsink into the Maglite. Put some heatsink compound around the heatsink to ensure good heat transfer to the body of the maglite.

DSC00101.jpg

Be aware that depending on the colour finish the fit of the heatsink can be loose or tight. If tight you will need to sand the inside of the maglite. This one was loose, so I used a centre punch on the outside of the heatsink to make four burrs, which made a tight fit.

Now screw on the head and power up.

DSC00102.jpg

DSC00103.jpg

Other stuff:
If you want a more powerful output you can use two micropucks, that should give around 850 to 900mA to the emitter, but run time will be reduced.
I've not had time to take any current measurements, Lux measurements or beamshots, I'll try to update over the coming weeks.

Now go, build, enjoy.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
Essexman said:
A nice cup of tea and biscuit (optional)

That brings back memories of the old country. The English can handle everything from stubbing a toe to the Apocalypse itself providing there's a cuppa at the end of it.

Thanks for the great tutorial. :goodjob:

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Nice tutorial!
I have the heat sink/emitter on order and planning to mod my 1st Seoul M*g soon. I planned to direct drive it with a resistor. Now I may have to try a puck. Is this the same one you used: Puck

Thanks for the tutorial!

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Take a look a the application notes found from the link above. It has the connection diagrams. It shows a buck/boost parallel setup that is rated to 7v, not sure if it'll handle fresh 18650s.

nanotech17 said:
Anybody knows how to attach 2xmicropucks in 1 maglite?
2 x micropucks with 2 x 18650 cell is it ok?

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys.

rcnuk - yep that's the same one.

nanotech17 - sorry I've no idea ! I've only ever used the micropuck as a boost driver. You could try posting the question in the ElektroLumens area of this site. Wanye (Mr ElektroLumens) has much more experience in using the micropucks.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
Wonderful tutorial and a very handsome mod! I have been getting interested in those pucks for a while now, but my knowledge of them is sorely lacking. I guess it's time to do some reading up.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Ikonomi said:
Wonderful tutorial and a very handsome mod! I have been getting interested in those pucks for a while now, but my knowledge of them is sorely lacking. I guess it's time to do some reading up.
Howdy neighbor.. ')
Nice tut and pics. I'm interested in doing similar with 2C or 3C, possibly with AW's C-li-ions and agree completely. The time for reading has arrived.

ThanX
X.

Timson

Enlightened
rcnuk said:
Nice tutorial!
I have the heat sink/emitter on order and planning to mod my 1st Seoul M*g soon. I planned to direct drive it with a resistor. Now I may have to try a puck. Is this the same one you used: Puck

Thanks for the tutorial!

I did a DD version from 3 x NiMh C's and 2 parallel 1 ohm resistors (total of 0.5ohms of resistance)

On fresh cells I'm getting 900ma to the emitter. :)

Tim.

knot

Banned
Wow, that looked incredibly easy. Why am I buying mag dropins with no good heat sink? How much for one of these with a cree ( or SSC P4) for a 3D mag? (point me to a thread?)

Perhaps I should wait for the 10watt HID module - like the first calculators @ $200.00 the price of HID is bound to come down.

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
knot said:
Wow, that looked incredibly easy. Why am I buying mag dropins with no good heat sink? How much for one of these with a cree ( or SSC P4) for a 3D mag? (point me to a thread?)
Get the pucks from theledsupply. Other 3 parts from Sandwich Shoppe.
Total price "to your door" looks to be about $70US inc. shipping.
I factor in 2 pucks (aka 2009's) because I would want to drive the SSC with Two 2009's in Parallel, Buck/Boost arrangement as shown on page 6 of the .pdf Application Note.
In my theoretical project... with a 4C cell Maglite... would give about 65% efficiency and about 800ma to the LED. That gives the range and flexibility for 4 NiMh AA's or even Lithium AA (yes, in a C Maglite with battery spacer sleeve).

Apart from my Crank Generator project... I've strenuously avoided getting sucked into this modding business. But with such junk floating around out there and so few options for LED Maglite upgrades... I'm going to have to drag out ye old soldering gear and plunge right on into the fray.
:thumbsdow

Thanks to Essexman for another fine tutorial with pictures :)
(Sorry to hear you lost a MicroPuck from having no load... if you had the extra one, would you have used it in parallel to drive the LED at near twice the curent?)

Cydonia

Enlightened
knot said:

I just re-read your question and see it would be for your 3 cell mag. From what I understand (or don't understand) a single MicroPuck can't take over 3volts. To go higher, you have to use 2 MicroPucks in a Buck/Boost configuration. Schematic is on page 6 of that Application Note pdf. I believe... you would have to use this arrangement for a 3 and 4 cell set up in the 1-7 volt range. For 5 -6 cell and beyond, the Wired BuckPuck 3023 ($17.99) is the best way. 95% efficiency (as most buck's are) VS. 66% for two MicroPucks in Buck/Boost. I carefully checked the size of this 3023 module and it can fit inside the 26.3mm new C cell Maglite! Good for a 5-7 C Mag or a 2C using li-ion?

Aepoc

Enlightened
I mounted a Piglet on my mag mod. I used the same heatsink and a seoul P4. The only other thing different about my light is the clickey tailcap and its sub 1D size. My favorite mod up to date.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow this thread is growing. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Nanotech17 - Those drivers you gave a link for appear to work from 12V input, so I guess they're buck drivers (i.e. they reduce the voltage), I was using a boost driver.

Knot - Yes this is a fairly easy mod, depends if you have all the tools, and time.

Cydonia - Remember that the base of an SSC P4 led is positive, so you need to isolate it from the heatsink, the heatsink you gave a link to is bare alu, the one I used was anodised to isolate it.

I've since built another mag for myself (I sold the other Two) using two micropucks, much brighter, around 15,00 lux at 1m, I'll get round to taking some current measurements one day. Also you can use three micropucks..........

My master plan would be to have another switch to give Hi (two or three micropucks) and Low (one micropuck). I have a suitable switch, I just need to find the time.

There are many different drivers/batteries that you can use. Here's an old thread showing some drivers and what they can be used for https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111824&highlight=driver+guide

Back to work......

joedm

Newly Enlightened
Great work. I did something similar with a Mag4D but used a DX 800mA driver.

Anyway, just wanted to say that in my mod the nice cup of tea and biscuit wasn't optional. :twothumbs

Oh yes beamshots please.

Last edited: