Has anyone received this message from "Paypal"??

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received this message from "Paypal" ,

PayPal as a regulated financial services company is required under law
to assess its customers against certain lists of individuals and
entities which have had sanctions imposed against them. PayPal as a
financial institution is required to comply with these regulations in
multiple jurisdictions where we do business.

Where a potential name match is identified, PayPal's policy is to lock
the account and request further identifying documentation. The decision
to lock your account has been taken solely by PayPal in line with its
compliance policy in regards to the legislation covering financial
sanctions.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. To regain access to
your account, provide the following documentation within the next seven
days:

" A copy of a government-issued photograph identification (i.e.
passport, driver's license) that provides date of birth
" A copy of a utility bill verifying your address

Include the email address associated with your PayPal account on all
copies.

Fax the information to Attention: Compliance at +303-395-2802 or mail
the documentation to:

PayPal, Attention: Compliance
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145
United States

PayPal currently does not accept scanned documents. Reply to this e-mail
with all questions at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Lisa
PayPal Compliance Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Has anyone else received this, I strongly think its phishing since the email address "they" sent this message to is not registered with Paypal. In my part they can leave the account locked since theres NO way im sending them all the stuff, even if its a legitimate request.If this is phishing , this guy are getting good. WATCH OUT

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Original, they'd like you to send them enough information to get a credit card in your name, huh?? Brilliant...

I'd fax them something. It'd be a big piece of paper with a nice little message telling them to "Shove off", so to speak..

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paypal adresses every member with it´s real name, that´s the best way to distinguish a mail from paypal from pishing (I suppose it did not have your real name in it cuso).

Eric

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's free to fax, just send them thousands of pages of black from your computer.

Doesn't half mess up the fax machine, especially if it's thermal paper !!

Last edited:

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
abvidledUK said:
If it's free to fax, just send them thousands of pages of black from your computer.

Doesn't half mess up the fax machine, especially if it's thermal paper !!

ha thats a great idea or give us the fax # and we can all do it :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
What, its a spoof? I was going to send my DL and Electric bill in right after I got off the phone trying to help this guy out in Nigeria with a lil money problem.... :lolsign:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, searching on the FAX number finds:

PayPal freezes out British user...

PayPal has frozen Brit Mohammed Hassan's account and banned him from using the service if he refuses to fax the company a raft of personal information. The online payments service told him his name is "similar to or a match to" a name on the US government's anti-terror assets freezing list.

The Office of Foreign Assets Control Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN) is operated by the US Treasury and designed to prevent money laundering and funding of illegal organisations.

...quote of same email...

We contacted PayPal with a series of questions. They confirmed that in Mohammed Hassan's case, his account will be closed unless he faxes his passport to them - action he told us he is not willing to take on principle. Unlike banks, PayPal does not require identity verification to set up an account.

PayPal refused to provide any details of how many customers the bans are affecting, or whether the policy had led to any genuine terrorist assets being seized.

Mohammed works for the UK government, in a job which requires security clearance. He said: "I am not a terrorist or a criminal. How the hell can PayPal link me to that name on the SDN list, is it because my name is Arabic? Or is it because PayPal are just plain stupid?"

I would be very interested to find out what PayPal Security tells you...

Searching on the the FAX number shows some hits from late 2006--And even though a few sites that show comments--everyone says that it is a scam--a few original posters have said that they contacted PayPal and that they unlocked their accounts...

I too believe that this is a scam--but if it is, the diss-information on the web supporting this is amazing. Salt the web with fraudulently sourced overseas newspaper article (how hard to scam a journalist), a few "bogus" complaints (in English, Spanish, Arabic), let some real comments in as warnings, and post a comment from the original poster that this is real.

-Bill

savumaki

Enlightened
My spam filter catches 4-5 a day with a similar message, sure are a creative bunch.

Just once I wish I could tell them, 'go ahead, close my account, see if I give s__t'.

javafool

Enlightened
I think you are best off to notify spoof@paypal and leave it at that. You may not want to pick a direct fight with someone that probably has the resources to kick your butt royally without batting an eye.
I would not contact them directly in any way. Anything you send only provides these thieves with information about *you* that they probably did not have before.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sure that that this was a phishing scam. I did search of a quote from your Paypal E-mail to confirm my suspicions. Based on the search, this might be real. According to his webpage New York Times #1 bestselling author George R.R. Martin got the same E-mail. He called Paypal and they confirmed it was real. Plus, he can't just say no and get his money back from Paypal. His account was automatically locked until this is resolved, and he can't withdraw money or close his account while it is locked.

You could try to log on to your Paypal account. If it is frozen, the E-mail could be real. In any case, it would be smart to check with Paypal directly before sending any information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin
http://grrm.livejournal.com/7831.html

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Putting on Tin Foil Hat" :tinfoil: ...

Everyone one of the "First Person" accounts state that they got the email and went online to find their accout was locked.

Would it not be an interesting scam to bang on a small PayPal account (with stolen passwords or attempts at hacking) to get PayPal to lock the account, then once the account has been locked--send the email asking for information.

If the person mails the info to PayPal (appears to be their real address), then paypal fixes the account. If the user faxes the information--the crook has enough information to get the accout reactivated (if they want too) and they also have enough information to do almost anything else they want with all of the ID provided. If the user does nothing, PayPal keeps the cash anyway and the crooks try again.

Hmmmm.... Everyone is a winner--except the PayPal user.:thinking:

-Bill

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
PoliceScannerMan said:
What, its a spoof? I was going to send my DL and Electric bill in right after I got off the phone trying to help this guy out in Nigeria with a lil money problem.... :lolsign:

Me too! I was going to use the money from the lottery I won in the Netherlands to help the other Nigerian with his problem.

On a more cogent note.

I have been recieving "payment complaints" spam which appear to come from ebay. I think this is elegant. It appears real and I suspect many will respond in anger to the link in the body of the email.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My account is NOT locked...everything is working fine. I did took out all the funds received with NO problems or warnings. What gave out the spoff alert was the email-address I received this to. Thats particular address is NOT registered with Paypal, and I do have my real name on that account. The mail had my name on top I removed it before posting.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd still call Paypal. If nothing else, it will let them know that this is going on. Paypal could then put up some kind of warning for its users. When you hear from them that this is a hoax, you will not be worried about having money in your Paypal account.

Schemers sometimes mix a little truth in with the lies. This may be an example. The SDN list is real, it is supposed to help prevent crime. This may be why it is effective getting people to put down their guard.

The Specially Designated Nationals List (SDN)
http://www.epls.gov/epls/jsp/FAQ.jsp#24
http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/index.shtml

Text version of [size=-1]Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) and Blocked Persons[/size]
http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/sdn/sdnlist.txt

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be a good idea for everyone to check the SDN list to see if someone with their name is on it. Especially if you are of middle eastern descent.

I just checked and "Cave Dave" is not on the list, but if the same name as mine appeared on the list I wouldn't keep much money in my paypal account. Oh wait, I'm a flashoholic I have no money in my paypal account :broke:

PS: While terrorists hide in caves, not all cave dwellers are terrorists! :xyxgun:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The phone number given is in Denver, Colorado. PayPal is I believe in Omaho, NE. They may have a compliance division in Denver but that's just something to think about. Please do forward that email to [email protected] and they will let you know if it is real or not. Please let us know also.