Blew up L2T driver board. What now?

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Here comes a sad story.
:mecry:
I was modding my Fenix L2T with a seoul. It seemed succesfull when I got the emitter on the inner part of the L2T, because it fired up when I pushed it on the top of the battery tube with batteries. But when I reassembled the head... Nothing.... I disassembled the head and I smelled burned electronics. The inner part was quite warm.:awman: The LED still works, I checked it. The driver board still smells bad.

So I screwed my driver board, what can I do now? I loved my L2t and I like to have a great light in this form factor. I like to use it with two nimh AA batteries (2.0 - 3.0 Volts) Can I buy a 700 ma (or more at a max of 1000 ma) driver board somewhere cheap? Where can I get such a cheap nice driver board for an L2T? Or is it better to buy a L2D for the money?

Thanks,

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1T/L1S tube and 14500 direct drive might be cheaper/easier than sourcing and fitting a small diameter regulator as efficient as Fenix's, plus it'd be a "fun" light. Then you could get that L2D also as a direct replacement (too bad the L1D tube doesn't fit so you can't just get that and switch tubes).

Krit

Enlightened
I think circuit might dramage from ground of Seoul Emitter short to circuit housing. Be careful when use seoul. It's ever happen once already with my first mod.

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
bfg9000 said:
L1T/L1S tube and 14500 direct drive might be cheaper/easier than sourcing and fitting a small diameter regulator as efficient as Fenix's, plus it'd be a "fun" light. Then you could get that L2D also as a direct replacement (too bad the L1D tube doesn't fit so you can't just get that and switch tubes).

Thanks for the idea, it would be a fun light indeed, but I already have a cree cr123 light and a Rexlight 2.0 on its way (I hope). So I don't see any needs/function for this option.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Direct drive the Seoul from 2AA Alkalines or 1.7v Li. 10-20 lumens for a long time.

Or just sell the body and tailcap (people always need both) and send the head to me. I'll pay postage. I'd convert it to direct drive off a Nekomane CR123 body.

dapyro

Newly Enlightened
I did once promise myself that I wouldn't buy lights over 50 dollars, so that is holding me back from buying an L2D.

Is it possible to use the driver of an 1AA light? I tried my L1P /civictor V1 head (modded with a seoul) on my L2T body, and it is an impressive nice and bright light this way. But can the driver handle this voltage for a longer time? I am no electronics expert.

Will it be possible to use the driver of a cheap 5 dollar 1AA light from kaidomain or dealextreme?

edit: I found that people even used the combo with an L1P head on an L2P and with a Cr123:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/112025&page=6&pp=30

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115076

Last edited: