Thoughts on the Surefire 9AN?

jgdawes

Newly Enlightened
Having read through a copy of the 2007 Surefire catalog my father has taken a liking to the 9AN. In one way this makes me happy as another person has been infected with flashaholism (he already has an E2E :)), on the other hand I can't offer any advice in this instance. He'll be using it around the house to check on things and for walks in the woodland. What are your opinions of it?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some 10-15 years ago I started with a 6R,
switched to 8X soon,
next step 9N (because of the lower level)
almost instantly made my own batt sticks as the originals arent this good (actual runtime: 1:35 hours with batt loaded the day be4 use)
BUT:
no longer in heavy use!

Switched to Fenix L2P last year, 8X modded to Lux III w. modbar.
Seemed brighter nearly everywhere (in-/outdoors, in snow the yellow incan seems low on batts immediately from 1st use).

Now I use Fenix L1D-CE and the 6P modded with cree and Flupic 850.
L1D is a very great small light, 6P/cree definitly brighter than the SFs AND both feature several output levels.
Now count in much smaller size and weight and more runtime ...

in this size/output class the incan is dead, screw it!
Get Your dad a Fenix L2D-CE (or something special featured here, but with same global data --> batts + size)

jgdawes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice, yellow. I've looked up the L2D CE and it seems perfectly suited for him along with a 9P and P91 for a little more light!

Size15's

Flashaholic
I really like the 9AN beam as well as the size/heft of the flashlight itself.
However, SureFires rechargeable flashlights are intended for heavy-use being actively used and recharged every night as a dutylight.

defusion

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I really like the 9AN beam as well as the size/heft of the flashlight itself.
However, SureFires rechargeable flashlights are intended for heavy-use being actively used and recharged every night as a dutylight.
And keep in mind the batteries are NiCad's, so you will notice the memory effect! A good charger is needed that will drain the batteries, and charge them fully each time you charge it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
in response to
And keep in mind the batteries are NiCad's, so you will notice the memory effect!
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157544 <--click here

Personally, If the Surefire does still contain NiCad cells as standard, I would not buy the product, doing so is like telling SF that you're fine with them charging big bucks for small amounts of 108 year old technology. If we want to see them use new tech, we have to stop convincing them that the old crap is fine, vote with your wallet! LOL. There's nothing in the 9AN that NIMH or Li-Ion couldn't do better.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Ni-Cad is also pretty harmful to the environment. The thing is, Sure-Fire wants us using primaries for as long as possible.

Primary batteries have their place over lithium ion, such as temperature extremes and emergency preparedness, but Surefire really needs to get with it! Even Inova has been offering flashlights with Li-ion technology for some time now (T4).

I really like the Surefire rechargeable lights, but will not buy them because of the batteries.

cfromc

Enlightened
I had that light for over one year and I hardly ever used the low output. As size15 said, this serves better as a duty light than a house light unless you are going to use it quite often. I sold it because when I needed to use it, it only had half the charge because it had been sitting for several weeks. I originally bought it because I thought it was the perfect light based upon the specifications. I didn't realize how fast those batteries self-discharge. Now, its lithium or l-ion all the way for me. The 9an/9n has its place, especially if you will be using it enough to have to charge it at least once a month, or preferably at least twice a month.

defusion

Enlightened
cfromc said:
I had that light for over one year and I hardly ever used the low output. As size15 said, this serves better as a duty light than a house light unless you are going to use it quite often. I sold it because when I needed to use it, it only had half the charge because it had been sitting for several weeks. I originally bought it because I thought it was the perfect light based upon the specifications. I didn't realize how fast those batteries self-discharge. Now, its lithium or l-ion all the way for me. The 9an/9n has its place, especially if you will be using it enough to have to charge it at least once a month, or preferably at least twice a month.
If you only need to recharge it twice a month i can imagine it being cheaper to just buy a 9P/G3, and run primaries. And for us, who know about the wonders of Li-Ion 17500's in the aforementioned lights, they don't have much place at all.

viper576

Newly Enlightened
I like my 9AN I have had mine for 5 years ran into problems with the bulbs blowing up. Surefire just replaced the light comlpetly. I own the 9AN and a Stinger HP. I use my 9AN for checking around the house when I hear noises and the HP for looking for things in the house and checking behind the business at the end of the block.

bones_708

Enlightened
I love my 9AN and think it's a great light. I've had it for 7? years and still use the same bulb and battery. Of course I also have a 9N also and it is still using it's original bulb. With all of that if he is not using it 4-5 times a week or doesn't mind messing with batteries and such (because the batteries will self discharge), then have him look at a stinger. Very close to the same size, same type of battery (stinger can use the surefire but not the reverse) but with in flashlight charging it's always ready to go. Much easier for someone just getting their feet wet and a good light in it's own right and he saves $90.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the first gen SF.9N and really like this light due to the dual lamp assembly of High and low. But it seems to be more suited for "duty light" as Size15's stated above.

When I purchased the SureFire.9N back in 1994/1995, I also bought the SureFire.8X and have used this particular model more than its brethren, since this one is a "workhorse" of a light in its own right.

Enjoy!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
yellow said:
Some 10-15 years ago I started with a 6R,
switched to 8X soon,
next step 9N (because of the lower level)
almost instantly made my own batt sticks as the originals arent this good (actual runtime: 1:35 hours with batt loaded the day be4 use)
BUT:
no longer in heavy use!

Switched to Fenix L2P last year, 8X modded to Lux III w. modbar.
Seemed brighter nearly everywhere (in-/outdoors, in snow the yellow incan seems low on batts immediately from 1st use).

Now I use Fenix L1D-CE and the 6P modded with cree and Flupic 850.
L1D is a very great small light, 6P/cree definitly brighter than the SFs AND both feature several output levels.
Now count in much smaller size and weight and more runtime ...

in this size/output class the incan is dead, screw it!
Get Your dad a Fenix L2D-CE (or something special featured here, but with same global data --> batts + size)
Sorry, but you are lost on this one. LEDs are total CRAP for woodland work. LEDs are great bedroom lights, but live that ghostly blue garbage inside your house when going to the great outdoors-- where adult lights are required.

BUZ

Enlightened
Better off getting a G3 and two AW 17500 cells with a lumens factory high output lamp!

p3180026pc4.jpg

p3180028kg1.jpg

Last edited:

CDI

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone make new LiI batteries for the 9AN? I have one, and have been sorely disappointed with the self-discharging battery.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but you are lost on this one. LEDs are total CRAP for woodland work. LEDs are great bedroom lights, but live that ghostly blue garbage inside your house when going to the great outdoors-- where adult lights are required.
I had my 9N as my primary bike light for nightrides,
the 6P-Flupic-Cree-18650-Mod easily outshines it (+ has 2.5 hours runtime on high).
better give those lights a try
("ghostly blue"? Never seen something other than one of those "a hundred 5mm leds in a shower head" lights?) ;)
but we might see "a light" on a different basis, I agree.
My concerns are small size, and an illumination not too far, a bit on the medium side, not a thrower with extreme output for a tad of an hour. Thus a light just like the 9N is.

but how about a pic?
(Sorry bout this one again, dont have any other).
Unf. the 9N does not shine at a rock wall here, but even those single Cree at left are almost same brightness and our brain gets confused about the white output (white=brighter).
Even when they are same brightness, as soon as any power led is around, one thinks the incans batts are drained.
amllrpqr338m5hvg4.jpg

Now consider the 9N runs on 2,7 Amps!
A multiemitter at same size with 3 leds will be quite more powerful.
... but thats another story
(means this one is in the build here)

Last edited:

defusion

Enlightened
BUZ said:
Better off getting a G3 and two AW 17500 cells with a lumens factory high output lamp!
+1
and you probably won't really need the lumens factory bulbs either, output of a P90 on li-ions will probably be pretty close to the 9AN.
But it has the advantage that you CAN get a different bulb.

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
If you decide you want one, mine's for sale with a third battery and a leather holster. PM me if interested. It and the T2 got replaced on my duty belt by a Gladius, so it's just sitting on the shelf now.

-Lawhund