Retailer Shipping Costs

QuinnK

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in the "dealer" forum, feel free to move it if it's misplaced.

I order a lot a computer parts and learned a long time ago it's a good idea to check out shipping costs as well as prices when internet ordering. Good examples:

I've ordered a few things from Battery Junction with usually $8+ for 1-3 day USPS, and a number of things from Lighthound... some with free shipping and some in the $5-6 range for 1-3 day USPS. For the type things I ordered, both seemed reasonable to me. I also ordered 12 ea 123As and a battery case for them from AmondoTech. The batteries and case were $21.95 and the 1-3 day USPS shipping was $12.25, total $34.20.

I realized what the shipping cost at AmondoTech was when I placed the order, so there's no complaint there... but, although $1 123As sound good, I don't think I'll be able to afford ordering anymore $1 Titanium batteries. I can add more expensive batteries in with an order somewhere else and come out ahead. I prefer to pay what someone needs to charge to make a fair profit, then pay a reasonable shipping charge... rather than pay extra on shipping charges to make up for an unusually low product price.

Just my personal opinion, others may definitely feel otherwise. :)

No big deal or major complaint, just a comment. :)

Take care... Quinn

EDIT: I mis-typed, the shipping was $12.25 rather than $12.95... corrected.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't complain too much, shipment from BJ to here costs $ 18.25 :mecry:

So whenever I need a couple of AA's I surely shop in the US.....:wave:

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
I too have a huge problem with companies not charging reasonable shipping. I understand 'small' packing/handling fees but it has gotten out of control many places. A recent order quoted UPS 2nd day air from 13 to 33 dollars for the same items depending on which website.

I have noticed a lot of that on CrapBay as well...25 dollar cell phone with 85 dollar shipping. I guess they figure they can get the people who buy without reading and that some will not dispute it.

Just more examples of how people get over on each other. Makes the very few businesses that are fair seem like utter saints! It's all relative.

And Kilovolt...add customs and you could almost fly there and get them yourself :laughing:

swampgator

Enlightened
sejvaar said:
I have noticed a lot of that on CrapBay as well...25 dollar cell phone with 85 dollar shipping. I guess they figure they can get the people who buy without reading and that some will not dispute it.

Yep, love those ebayers who charge $15 for a product that weighs two ounces. I guess they do that so they don't have to pay fees for the higher auction sale price.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Quinn,

I guess you should have gone with FedEx ground shipping for $9.30. That would have brought your total to $31.25. That's only $0.25 per gram for shipping... :(

Tom

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I sort of understand this on ebay b/c they dont have to pay the auction fee on shipping costs so they put part of the price into shipping cost ie sell a $50 dollar item that costs $5 for $25 with $30 shipping and they only pay the ebay fee on $25. But I hate when online stores use high shipping costs to make up for low prices

jason9987 said:
I sort of understand this on ebay b/c they dont have to pay the auction fee on shipping costs so they put part of the price into shipping cost ie sell a $50 dollar item that costs $5 for $25 with $30 shipping and they only pay the ebay fee on $25. But I hate when online stores use high shipping costs to make up for low prices

They both share the same purpose. To deceive buyers and lure them into viewing their page and consider buying and waste their time

cutlerylover

Banned
I use to hate that on ebay but I gotta admit, in ALL cases where shipping is more than actual cost its just buisness...and no matter how tricky it is to buyers/shoppers you cant blame them for that...People as consumers have to be smart about their purchases...If you dont like it you dotn have to buy it, you know...Most of the people who sell thgins on ebay WANT money...plain and simple and there will always be ways to try to lure people in...like in the case of knives for example..I often search ebay for used knives, and there are people whos ell cheapo chinese knives for $5, but in their description they mention that the knives are just like benchmade, Kershaw, Spyderco, etc...so that those words show up in the search for those other knives...

Expensive shipping with cheap product costs have always been a problem on ebay...for one it lures people in to look at the item, and like people already mentioned the sell;ers not only save a bunch of money on ebay fees, but they also get to cover their selling fees with the extra cost, so selling on ebay is free for them...

All Im saying is that consumers have to be responsible and know what they are spending their money on before they do so...No one is making anyone buy thigns, we do it on our own...

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Yeah on ebay you definately have to watch the shipping, and stay away from those that don't list it. My friend got ripped off on ebay because something he bought on ebay that had a hight cost of shipping since they were making money on the shipping. Well he had to return it becuase it wasn't working, unfortunately he didn't read the fine print and the shipping wasn't refundable, and of course when the package did come it was like 1/16 the actual cost of shipping on the postage tag in a standard bubble evelope you can get at walmart for 25 cents. They only had one of the items and only refunded the actual price of the item without shipping.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I look at my "out the door" price. 95% of the time, a higher priced item with low shipping trumps the lowball price with high and sometimes outrageous shipping charges. Just something you should already know if you've done a lot of shopping on line.

I checked out some cell phones on eBay and sure enough, $64 S&H, $25 S&H. Reported them and eBay delisted them all.

If you think you're exception from the rule and tilt the table in your favor to have an unfair advantage over competitors, don't think that your competitors won't report you.

QuinnK

Newly Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Quinn,

I guess you should have gone with FedEx ground shipping for $9.30. That would have brought your total to $31.25. That's only $0.25 per gram for shipping... :(

Tom

Hi Tom... The last time I checked, shipping for 12 batteries only (no case) was priority mail $9.70 and Fedex ground $10.95. May vary at different times, I don't know. I didn't figure a per gram cost for shipping, guess I'm more interested in the per battery cost. As I indicated earlier, I was aware of the shipping costs at the time, and got a nice battery case I wanted included in the $12.25 shipping... so I have no complaint on the order I received. :)

I was simply commenting on the fact that some retailers pretty much just pass on the shipping costs, with their regular overhead included in the product cost... and some retailers show a lower product cost, then make up some by adding to the shipping cost. I personally prefer the 'include your overhead in the product price and keep the shipping cost reasonable approach'. But... each retailer has a perfect right to determine that as he sees fit, and each potential buyer has a perfect right to determine where he/she decides to purchase.

As I said, no big deal and no intent to offend, just giving my opinion on a factual situation... I knew what I was doing when I ordered, and don't have to buy batteries there should I disagree with the pricing philosophy. :)

Take care... Quinn
aNorthEast.gif
cLeftTop.gif
cRightTop.gif

cLeftBottom.gif
cRightBottom.gif

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What annoys me is when retailers don't post their shipping costs prominently up front.

Even the rigged eBay shipping "calculators" (which calculate something much higher than the pure shipping cost when you put in you zip) at least tell you early. If I have to go through the ordering process to find out my shipping (from a company, private individuals may actually not know), I usually infer that they have jacked up shipping and don't bother to go through the process to find out.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Try typing in a zip code for Hawaii (like 96822) and then looking at the shipping cost. I was thinking about ordering an air rifle online and shipping to Colorado as a test came out to $27 for UPS ground, for Hawaii it was $108! :faint:

Nothing against the retailer though, just shocked by the shipping price.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
Hawaii gets hit a lot with pricing. Even retail things there are more expensive than the mainland. But 108 seems excessive...I guess the cost per hour to row across the pacific is going up.