I need some help with the Ultrafire C3... (issue with 14500 batteries)

Boom Stick

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty, here's the deal. I can get the sucker to light up on every conceivable AA (non lithium) battery I have in the house, but I only got a speck of light for about .001 seconds from AW's 14500's and then nothing. It isn't like it burned out or anything, it still lights up just fine on the regular AA's. Also, I just noticed how amazingly long AW's 14500's are compared to normal batteries so could that be affecting things? Ultimately I'm just guessing here. Does anyone know why I'm not getting light out of this bad boy or what I could try?

P.S. Yes, both my AW 14500's are charged. Both are at 4.16.

Last edited:

Boom Stick

Newly Enlightened
Well, I figured it out. The problem is that the AW 14500 is too long. The flashlight isn't completing the circuit. I should be able to fix the problem with a copper washer (best solution I can think of). The same problem is detailed about another flashlight in this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119978
I'm still open to whatever better solutions someone may have however.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
ernsanada said:
Ultrafire 14500's fit with no problems.
Same here, that and Alki AAs are just about the only cells slim enough to fit in my new C3--even my low capacity NiMH are too wide. Not that it matters, since mine burnt out after 2 seconds and I've been trying to get a RMA from Kaidomain for over a week no response.

Boom Stick

Newly Enlightened
lowatts said:
Same here, that and Alki AAs are just about the only cells slim enough to fit in my new C3--even my low capacity NiMH are too wide. Not that it matters, since mine burnt out after 2 seconds and I've been trying to get a RMA from Kaidomain for over a week no response.

Well, the too wide problem is really minor to me. Of course I had to dremel the tube out to fit the AW protected 14500's, but the length problem is much different. Their ain't much that can be done about that. I'm using a copper wire ring for now till I find a washer that fits, but from the start this flashlight wasn't supposed to be a mod. Oh well, stuff happens.

Latest posts