LED Keychain suggestions?

espy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to this stuff but was wondering what advice you guys might have on an LED keychain. I've been looking over the Photon Freedom as well as the Inova Microlight 2, but I'm open to other ideas. Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated!

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom, Fenix E0, or Fenix L0D-CE.

Thats the order in size, price, AND average output. Figure out how much you are willing to pay. Figure out how large of an item you want on your keychain. Then go from there.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened
I've had a white Photon Freedom for like 3 years on my keychain and it's very reliable and has nice modes. Batteries last for ages (I only changed them twice because I wanted the light to be brighter :D)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another possiblity are the Dealextreme coin cells -- 10 for $4.68 shipped. Those are decent enough quality, and cost next to nothing -- a good idea to have a bunch stashed around, and as gifts etc.

As for something awe-inspiring, I'd have to say L0D-CE on 10440 LiIon. It's nearly my highest overall-output LED Light, in a keychain form factor!

PhantomZ

Enlightened
the photon and photon clones are great. it's small, light, durable, easy to press on single handed and cheap. it's bright enough for me which i use it to do a quick check in and around my car before i get in at night. i tried using a cr2 ion and other similar size/type lights but i find that it's not as easy to use as the photons/photon clones. it adds weight and length and you have to maintain the threads every so often cause of all the lint or crap from riding in my pocket. the plastic body on the photon is more durable, at least for my needs and wants for a keychain light. it's always on my car keychain and since i'm getting into my car it's quicker to use the keychain light since i'm holding it already then using my main EDC on my belt. i also have a photon on my regular keychain as backup for my main EDC.

dardar

Newly Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
Another possiblity are the Dealextreme coin cells -- 10 for $4.68 shipped. Those are decent enough quality, and cost next to nothing -- a good idea to have a bunch stashed around, and as gifts etc.

As for something awe-inspiring, I'd have to say L0D-CE on 10440 LiIon. It's nearly my highest overall-output LED Light, in a keychain form factor!

+1 for dx or kd photon clone.
On the 10 I received, 6 was gone (give away) during the first week.

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
I know they aren't popular here, but the Princeton lights can be found at local retail outlets such as ****'s Sporting goods. They are cheaper than the really nice coin cell lights but nicer than the 10 for $5 lights from China.

I found the $7.99 Princeton to be a nice compromise for me. Stuck one in my son's stocking at Christmas, too.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=853763&cp=562638&pg=3&searchSort=TRUE&sr=1&origkw=LED&kw=led&s=A-StorePrice-DSP&parentPage=search&searchId=20878196391

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
martytoo said:
I know they aren't popular here, but the Princeton lights can be found at local retail outlets such as ****'s Sporting goods. They are cheaper than the really nice coin cell lights but nicer than the 10 for $5 lights from China.

+1

My Princeton Tec coin cell lights have all been great.

I particularly like the Impulse (formerly known as the Eclipse 2) for its versatility: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Princeton_Tec_Impulse_LED_Flashlight.php

Never used it for EDC, but it's a really wonderful light for outdoors use. The auto-turnoff, detachable carabiner, and adjustable hat clip are great features. So far its been completely reliable despite taking quite a beating during camping and backpacking trips.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Stay away from the Inova Micro. Static electricity will turn them on without you knowing it. All four of mine have this problem. Would be a great light if this problem was fixed!