SSC/Cree all my Lux lights now, or half now and wait to see what's around the corner?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure I can see a lot of sense in throwing money into modding all my Luxeon-based lights with SSC, when something better is likely just around the corner (or two?) I've SSC'd two, and am thinking of doing another two, but am also thinking of leaving several as-is to await the next big developement in LED's. That way, instead of tossing big money into modding all my lights, only to all be "obsolete" shortly, I can play it conservative and frugal by "leapfrogging" my way through technological advances. Half my lights would always be on the cutting-edge, the other half would be yesterdays news awaiting tomorrows LED breakthrough. What would you do? What does our collective crystal ball predict about future LED advancement: leaps-and-bounds, or baby steps?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SSC/Cree all my Lux lights now, or half now and wait to see what's around the corner?

I would do the lights that you use most often, and then followed by maybe a few of your favorite lights. Then i would leave the remainder. No point in doing all of them if you arent using them that often. I think a few members here mentioned they thought that the current technology would last maybe a year? or something like that?

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Re: SSC/Cree all my Lux lights now, or half now and wait to see what's around the corner?

I personally face this dilemma and since you asked, here's my point of view.

Most of us would have far more flashlights than we would ever need in the course of our life and to upgrade every single one of them the moment a new LED comes out would definitely be a tax on most wallets here. There's also the time required to change out the LEDs from the lights. But some would argue that the time is well-spent. But the worst case scenario I would absolutely hate to be in would be the introduction of a newer, more efficient, brighter LED just a few months after I have upgraded all my lights. Then what do I do?

Furthermore, although Cree and Seoul LEDs have brought up the bar in efficiencies, I wouldn't go as far as to call my luxeon lights useless yet. They still produce sufficient brightness for normal use so they can be great for loaner or gift lights for budding flashaholics. Keeping in mind that human eyes can only perceive an appreciable increase in brightness when the amount of lumens produced is at least twice more, luxeons still have not fallen that far behind yet in terms of practicality.

So keep a few of them stock, upgrade another few of them and light them up to have a good laugh at the old luxeons before you change them for the next generation LEDs. Hope this makes sense to you.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Turbo DV8, I think you're doing the right thing by sampling and upgrading a few lights here and there ...but not going out and converting everything over ... just to find your cutting-edge lights behind the times in a year or so.

As has been said, I still like the tint of a few Luxeons I have ... and even the floody 5mm cluster lights. Appreciate the nuances of each as you keep your ear to the rail waiting for the next best thing. :)

big beam

Enlightened

TDV8
I think most of us are wondering the same thing.What I did was to replace the lux emitters in the lights with tints I didn't like with some of the warmer tints the SSC come in.What I found is that I didn't use some of my lights just because I didn't like the tint.Now because they have warmer tints (and their brightness is so much better) I tend to use them more often.I don't think there will be a leap in emitter performance like this in the near future but you never know.So I left the lights I like and use most the way they were.
PS hope this helps with your :thinking:

DON

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

I replaced a few that were easier to do...also sometimes the Seoul is better- depending on the reflector, and if you want a tighter spot or a more even spot that blends into the spill. I don't need every light to throw 100 yards.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
"What I did was to replace the Luxeon emitters in the lights with tints I didn't like with some of the warmer tints the SSC come in. What I found is that I didn't use some of my lights just because I didn't like the tint. Now because they have warmer tints (and their brightness is so much better) I tend to use them more often."

I have three Luxeons: One is an older (Lux I?) 3-watt which is in a light I got from DAE (very blue for a Lux). One is a 1-watt in a Lowes/Task Force 3AAA light and the other is in a "Vika" (Lux III, I believe). The latter two have very warm, white tints ... almost ivory or vanilla in color. Comparing these two to Nichia or I bin Luxeons, you'd think the newer Luxeons were actually xenon lights.

The SSC P4 light I have is in the same body as the Vika (both powered by 1 x 18650) so 99% of the difference between the two is the emitter.

The Seoul is very, very white and perhaps half again as bright as the similar-appearing Vika. But for color rendering, I'd think my two best Luxeons would win.

I still prefer the Seoul ... but it's because it is brighter and more efficient.