2AA Pack Prototype (TSP-2AA) *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsp2aa1.jpg

tsp2aa2.jpg

This is the latest prototype of the TSP-2AA. This pack will become the standard 2AA pack for the LS series.

Some points:

- This is the first prototype. We are eager to put this into production but want to test it further. We will be sending first articles to some key CPFers for more testing. Please, don't contact us, we will contact you. There are only about 4 available.

- The first articles will show minor changes from the prototype pictured above. Specifically the aestetic flow of the pack to head area.

- This design is a melding of Mike, the Mystery Engineer and myself. Criterias where to make the pack as light weight and slim as possible, reliable with any brand of AA and to cushion the cells as much as possible.

- The lanyard loop was removed and the outside diameter was reduced. The reasoning with the loop was that at this size (vs the 123 pack size) the light is less likely to be on a lanyard and more likely to be in a pocket, pack or pouch (this fits in a standard 2AA flashlight pouch). The lanyard loop adds a lot of bulk to the pack. This is another one of those things where actually seeing the pack in your hand is a lot different then what the pictures above can communicate.

- Total weight with 2AA NiMhs and a rev2 head is 3.6 ounces.

- Finish will be natural HA on outside and inside. The exception is the threads, which are chemkoted.

- This pack has been designed to work with every version of the LS. We and the CPF beta testers will test it with every iteration we can find.

- To simplify things, this is the only 2AA pack we will be making for awhile. We choose the TSP version because it has a spring.

- List price will be in the $40 neighborhood. If we can find a way to make the price lower, we will.

Stay tuned, the beta test will probally occur in about 2 weeks.

Peter

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter - can you post a pic comparing the new TSP 2AA against an old 2AA with loop ?

Length might be similar I guess - no loop vs switch

TIA

Klaus

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Time will tell, but I see a potential issue with this thing engaging when placed into a pocket. For most lights this size (E2, E2E, etc), many users carry those in their back pocket, riding next to their wallets. I see the potential for this this thing to 1) turn on while placing it down into the pocket and 2) coming on/off as a person sits down throughout the coarse of the day.

I do like the narrowness and the looks of how it attaches to the head-unit. I'm assuming it will be krurled, similar to the head?

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Peter,this is great!
grin.gif
I think this is an excellent idea.Can't wait to get a 123 tsp and a 2aa tsp.
grin.gif
grin.gif
icon14.gif

David

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure somebody's already mentioned this, but: I think the issue can be solved, or at least minimized, if the clickie tab wasn't so extended outwards. The conical shape's just too inviting for accidental ons while being carried or if it was dropped onto the tail.

I'd suggest having the tailcap be a very low dome, somewhat flat type, with the outside edges of the tailcap encircled by a rubber stopper-like ring, where the ring's just a tad more raised than the click area.

I'd think of it like the SF E2's TSP, except that the outer edge is raised by a rubber ring to a height slightly above that of the actual rubber clickie. I think it'll minimize accidental switching, and for those who don't like a conical shape TSP, it'll still look like a somewhat flat cap...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to prevent a rehash of everything discussed in the previous TSP thread: This is the switch we are going to use for the forseable future. Yes, we have other switches in the works, but they will probally not be ready until next year.

As far as the unit coming on by accident, I refer you to the TSP-123 beta testers. Yes, it is an issue, but maybe not as much as it might seem. I've been carrying the pack around in my back pocket for the past couple of days and I have not found it on. Of course, the 2AA beta testers will also check for this.

Peter Gransee

Termac

Newly Enlightened
I've found that the simple nylon holster that comes with a popular machined aluminum AA flashlight is very good for the ARC-LS with 2xAA. There is a bit of extra length though, so it should be perfect for this new part.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Peter, I understand this Kroll switch is what we're stuck with for the foreseeable forture. I was thinking though, about the possible accidental on/off thing........ what if you built up the tubing "around" the tailcap. It's difficult for me to describe what I'm talking about, but in essence, the talicap would be "in" the end of the tubing, with surrounding tubing around it. You'd actually have to purposely want to put a thumb or finger "into" that area to engage the switch.

I'm probably explaining this stupidly, but hopefully you get the drift.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand. McGizmo made several mods like that. I have one on my desk. He calls it a "guard".

It does further reduce accidental turn on. But, it is more difficult to use in a hurry. After using it, you may like it better, or you may not. I tried them both and had other people nearby try them as well. We all prefered the exposed switch.

Now ideally, the switch would be a low profile design (think E1), and that is where we may go. But not that long. The LSx with a TSP-123 is shorter than the E1 with it's TSP.

Of course, the goal here is to shrink the size as much as possible while maintaining usability.

Peter Gransee

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Understood. Ideally the switch on the Inova X5-T is the best I've ever seen or used. Very low profile, with a great feel to it.

Correct, the LS + TS-123 is still shorter than E1, but not by much. My only point is that the longer the LS gets, the closer it is to losing one of its main advantages. Output per size. As it stands now, size and runtime are the advantages of the LS2 compared to the E1x + KL-1 configuration. The closer the LSx gets to the competitors size, that advantage starts becoming a non-factor for people making a purchase decision.

When you take the LSx with 2 x AA configuration, with the TSP-AA switch and compare that to the E2x + Kl-1 setup, size is no longer a factor for purchasing. It then comes down to other factors, such as cell type, quality of product, support, runtime, output, etc. In this example, the LSx comes in 2nd-place as it relates to output and runtime, even possibly size (I don't have an LS with the 2 x AA attached sitting in front of me).

Just points to be considered, that's all.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Peter. Very nice. I know that I had so much praise for the TSP-123, that I will be one of the lucky four to test the TSP-2AA.
TIA for choosing me.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not until later. The clip would be an add on accessory most likely. Too soon to say.

The first light to get a clip will be the Arc-AAA.

Peter Gransee

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have a question here...2 actually...

The interior of my Arc sLS 2 AA pack and 123 pack look extremely different, any huge reason for this? And on the same subject--why HA for the inside and outside? Is it better than chemkote? Cheaper? Easier to do?

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Hmmm- Arc did it - they made a product that is unreliable, ugly, and well makes me want to vomit.

gransee you said yourself that the more there is - the more things to go wrong

Keep It Super Simple so you can keep it super, simple.
wink.gif

I would pay $50 for an HA 2AA pack that was the width of the 123pack all the way down with a nipple lanyard hole on the end- is that too much to ask?

Leave the tail caps to surefire - Arc needs to stick to simple and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts