golston 7w-ssc mod?

jb1219

Newly Enlightened
Can i just drop a SSC star into this light? Would i need a resistor? The golston runs on 2 cr123a batteries.

anyone tried this simple mod? (this would be my first attempt at modding anything and i need it to me easy!)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've done a couple, leaving the stock electronics (resistor).

lexina

Enlightened
I guess it depend on whether you will be running your SSC on 2 X CR123 or 1 X 17670. If you are sticking to 2 X primary CR123s, then the resistor should stay as 6v is too high for the SSC. If you are going to use a rechargeable 17670 instead, you can afford to use a smaller resistor (I believe the stock resistor is 1 ohm), say, 0.5 ohm.

jb1219

Newly Enlightened
Thanks lexina... this is my first ever attempt at a mod of any kind and i need to keep it simple! I'll be using 2 cr123a batteries and try to just swap out the star. I looked at the golston star and it has a single wire soldered to the + terminal. So i guess all i have to do is drop in the SSCP4 and solder the wire to the +.

Where's the best place to purchase a SSC p4???

PS- thanks guys for your help... i'm a total beginner but this is going to be fun!

lexina

Enlightened
jb1219 said:
Thanks lexina... this is my first ever attempt at a mod of any kind and i need to keep it simple! I'll be using 2 cr123a batteries and try to just swap out the star. I looked at the golston star and it has a single wire soldered to the + terminal. So i guess all i have to do is drop in the SSCP4 and solder the wire to the +.

Where's the best place to purchase a SSC p4???

PS- thanks guys for your help... i'm a total beginner but this is going to be fun!

You also need to make sure one of the -ve pads on the SSC star is connected to ground. Usually this is done by connecting a short wire to one of the tiny screws. Take a look at how it is currently done on the Golston. Finally, it's good to have a multi-meter that you can use to check for continuity before you power up.

You can get your SSc stars from several places: PhotonFanatic below -
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/85330

DealExtreme, Kaidomain etc (I think Litemania is out-of-stock at the moment).