ARGH! Sooo many options - please help replace my Jil EDC!

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
OK - pretty simple, here are my "requirements" and with all ya'lls knowledge in here, you should be able to help me pick the PEFECT light.

~$100
Pocketable (around the same size as my Jil would be great - smaller would be perfect!)
Clicky
Bright (at least as bright as my Jil 1.3w UP)

powersource, does not really bother me - I am cool with any of them - not too keen on rechargables...maybe I have just not been convinced yet!

Have at it! Customs or off-the-shelf options are good with me.

Sproles

PS - I am NOT a modder, so it needs to be easy!

Radio

Modulated Moderator
Hi Sproles!!!! Member #358!! wow! Nice to meet you Smaller and brighter CR2 light is a tough one! You can either get another JIL or try an ORB Raw NS Two stage with a Cree emitter. Might run you just a smidge over $100 but not bad and if you like the size and feel of the JIL you'll love the ORB NS! Happy hunting!!! Oops, you said no rechargeables! You could also go with a regular ORB raw that takes standard CR2's and not rechargeables! But I still think you would like the NS!

Last edited:

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
OK - I have looked at the Orbs - I am getting the feeling that they are not the best for fit & finish. Is that correct?

Plus - I do not think they are CLICKY - so that drops their stock price alittle bit in my eyes.

So - on the P1d - they are twisty, right? Seem bright enough and nice size, but it is not that much different from what I have in my Jil...is it?

Your advice is appreicated.
Sproles

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have a mighty hard time finding one the size of the JIL (or smaller) that has a clicky. In fact, I don't see how thats possible.

Its up to you to balance the size factor vs. the clicky factor. I find the addition of the clicky to be worth the gain in length, as lightning-fast deployment is a big plus in my book. Its also easy to use a clicky with one hand, but my JIL is too tight for one hand usage. If size is more important, than the clicky might not work.

The Fenix P2D is my EDC, as it is very bright, pretty small, and has a clicky. It is larger than the JIL, though. Downside is that it loses the lo-medium-high operation on a RCR123, and all levels are high.

cheers

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often carry small lights in my pocket (usually a CR2 Ion XT, with twisty)

However, I do have an Amilite T5 that is CR123 and clicky, with 2 levels, that I find very good for EDC use; size to me is acceptable.
150810491-M.jpg

150810521-M.jpg

Draco w/AAA Li-on, FireFlyIII,AMilite T5, Cr2, ION XT

Hope this helps.

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
SO - the question is... (thanks for the reponses too) do I try to find a CR2Ion or find some sucker wanting to sell his Draco for a steal or p/u a Jet 1 MK-IIx (w/ the CREE) and battery options or get an Intelli from Jil or what?

I am SOOO freakin' confused with all the options. It really is quite amazing! Am I the only one that thinks this?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice-
Sproles