Malkoff        

Thread: DX 30mw (NewWish) modification.

Default DX 30mw (NewWish) modification.

Looked through the archives and saw one article on modification of newwish laser pointers. My question is..
    Whats up with the wires running up to the sensor beside the ir filter???? I know that the third pin on a diode is for photo...uh can't think of the word right now.
    anyway it monitors the output to make sure it doesn't exceed a certain point and then with the circuitry below limits the power going to the diode. I'm not looking to pot my laser to the max (yes there is a pot on the 35mw too) just get a few more mw's

Will include pictures if anyone wants to see the guts of a DX 30mw (it is truly a newwish) laser.

If it can't be modified, I don't want it.

DX 30mw 50mw. BFG (phraug) 150mw putting out 120mw Homemade 100mw, 150mw DVD burner laser.

Default Re: DX 30mw (NewWish) modification.

My question is about the remote in the back... what's that thing on the side for? It looks like another IR diode to me... just wondering...

Oh, and about the wires... My new leadlight 110 has the same thing, plus a whole new pcb board different from the ones pictured online and the IR filter is a bit tilted upwards instead of like the older ones... But I don't know, sorry. Tried to work on it a bit, knocked off a couple things that seemed useless to me, and it still works. So, I'm not complaining. :P

Thanx;
    DDL
    Last edited by Daedal; 05-06-2007 at 09:17 PM.

I honestly don't know what's up with the remote. it's just a dot on an indent. mabye so you can feel where the volume and channel buttons are in the dark.

as far as the wires and whatnot are concerned, I know they are for limiting the laser to a specific output. Up to the reason for the bent filter is to split the beam to the sensor and out the front of the laser. it determines when the output is too high and regulates the power to the diode to reduce the output. My question is more directed at the folks who actually know how to fix these things. I'm electronicaly inclined but not savy, savy! (bad pirates of the carribean pun) is it possible to just clip these and bypass the sensor? will it be detrimental? will the circuit fail without input from the sensor?

DX 30mw 50mw. BFG (phraug) 150mw putting out 120mw Homemade 100mw, 150mw DVD burner laser.

Flashaholic*

How did you remove the guts? Does the silver tip screw off or is it a press fit?
    TIA-
    Rob

It is press fitted. Now mind you I didn't find this out until after I ground the entire case off of the laser module. I tried for hours prying with a knife and pulling ever so slowly so as not to damage the tip of my laser. I wanted ultimately to get to the optics in the front to clean them off as they had gotten dust from my pocket in it. a q-tip with alcohol didn't do anyting so I got frustrated and cut it off. I then decided I had to look at the circuit inside it and for the potential of replacing the diode in it. So, I took same dremel with cut off tool and cut the entire barrel off. Once the cap is removed, you can essentially push the module out of the barrel. although geting the cap off will require more patience than I'm capable of exhibiting. You can pull it off but be warned. The cap is 1/4 inch brass all the way around.

Flashaholic*

Maybe I'll try it, if I can do it without destroying the outer casing. Removing the foam ring around the battery negative spring reveals that it is indeed a Newwish laser, stamped in the brass inner housing, so I'm assuming it can be tweaked a bit. My electronics background goes back 45 years, my LED flashlight experience is about 4 years of modding, designing, etc., now this comes along to drain my wallet once again. This 30mW amazes me with it's power - must be more than 30 - cuts tape, pops balloons, would like to see what it could really do before self-destructing!
    Thanks for the info, if I'm successful I'll post photos.
    Rob

Flashaholic

YIKES!!

30mW of green should not pop balloons or cut tape; this is due to the leakage of dangerous levels of IR energy from the pump diode, through the optics that converts IR to green. These lasers are capable of producing upwards of a few hundred milliwatts of IR energy from the IR laser itself. Be Very Careful since you cannot see the IR energy and it will reflect from and be transmitted by surfaces and substances differently than the visible green energy...

Many of these cheap lasers have NO IR filter at all, as it does cost something to include one in the assembly. This is a VERY BAD practice and will definitely lead to eye damage, and probably already has affected many uninformed users of these devices.

Anyone with one of these nasty hazardous lasers should either invest in a set of protective goggles, or an eyepatch. If you can't afford or think you don't need goggles, you will need the eyepatch - if for no other reason than to preserve one good eye for your non-laser viewing pleasure.

The laser diode's internal photodiode (that 3rd pin) is not used in these designs because it does not monitor the green output; it can only monitor the IR output of the pump diode. Depending on crystal alignment and quality, the green output will vary significantly with a given IR input.

The slanted glass part in the front is not an IR filter, it is a beam splitter. It samples a portion of the green output and directs a beam onto the sensor (that connects to the wires running back to the driver PCB). The signal from this sensor tells the driver board how much output energy there is, and the driver circuit adjusts the IR laser power to achieve the desired output power. APC = automatic power control.

I've reverse engineered and derived mods for several of these driver boards; it's basically a matter of desensitizing the sensor feedback loop to push the IR diode harder. It should be apparent that by doing so, it is possible to set the driver for an unobtainable level of green output - and fry the IR laser diode from overcurrent. Setting up the driver properly is critical to achieving a reasonable lifetime from the laser. I've included calibration instructions in some of my modification posts; search and ye shall find.

Arrow Re: DX 30mw (NewWish) modification.

Don't forget that IR goggles are like 10 bucks or less. Mine were 6 bucks I think.

I got mine from safetyglassesusa.com they even came with a neat little protective pouch. A little research showes that a rating of IR 3.0 will do the trick, but I got the IR 5 to be sure....

Go here: http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ir-protection.html

Just wanted to say great site, 10$ shipped for glasses, using paypal too! Nice and easy, everyone should wear protection!

ok, I managed to get the tip off (scratched and gouged it all to hell though... figure it's got a date with the dremel sanding tip later). now what? does the module unscrew or something?

"Odorimashou. Yume no naka e itte mitai to omoimasen ka?"

Corona - although I admire your passion for safety, it is probably misplaced with these new-wish lasers. All the models I have ever tested in the 50mw range and below are definitely IR filtered - and leak MUCH less than 1mw of IR on any given day. The IR from pointer style lasers is not even remotely as dangerous to our eyes as some have been lead to believe, as it comes out in a flood, and terminates rapidly - the optics and MCA are more in danger of IR damage than our eyes are. Honestly, These are good lasers - all the 50mw and below have good IR filters, and generally speaking put out their advertised power levels or more ! I have only personally seen one 50mw one that is under powered - I had one 50mw one that put out over 80mw right outta the box ! And no, not due to IR spillage, either - it was just either mislabeled, or a "hot" one - very nice Laser ! Although 30mw should not be able to pop balloons, cut tape, etc - I think Robk is just dang lucky, and not in any danger. He's got a hot one there, and should take good care of it, as plenty of folks would buy it in a heartbeat if he were to put it up for sale !

Rob - damn gad you got more than you paid for on this deal ! That is AWESOME !

ScarabDrowner - the module should be able to just push out from the other side - I used a flat tipped screwdriver to push the board, and optics assy out through the front.

got it, thanks. (accidentally started pushing on the switch instead of the module, popped one contact off the board. gotta resolder it down before I'm done)

"Odorimashou. Yume no naka e itte mitai to omoimasen ka?"

Flashaholic*

Rob - damn gad you got more than you paid for on this deal ! That is AWESOME !

Yeah, I think I got lucky. I posted the balloon pop vid, I should post a short video of cutting tape. This 30mW is VERY bright. I should send it down to you for testing some time, but I'm too happy playing with it! I almost don't want to take it apart, don't see how I could improve it without destroying it.

I got a new DVD writer in today, my third LG GSA-H42N (in 3 diff computers), my favorite right now, so I have an older 8X that I am going to cannibalize tonite or tomorrow for the diode. Those red diodes are amazing too, instant smoke when focused. This one will go in the Elly you were so generous to send me. Haven't figured the circuitry yet, but looks pretty easy.

Rob

just ordered a pair, thanks for the link!
    1 Radians Chief
    IRUV 5.0 Lens
    Overspec $6.15
    Subtotal: $6.15
    Shipping: $6.99*
    Tax: $0.00
    Total: $13.14

Hey those glasses you linked there, does anyone know what wavelengths they work on? I want something with good protection around the 808 and the 1064nm range, and can't find anything below a few hundred $$!

Also, abotut he NewWish lasers, I have managed to hear very good things about them up to the 50mW range, how about upwards? How good is the one on DX for $120? I think it's about 200mW.

Thankx;
    DDL

What I had been looking till now are ones like these:
    http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/psl-14.html

As with the previous post (long tima ago) about modifying the newwish I have a problem with my optics not lining up correctly. Once I removed the "splitter" my beam moved to the side of my optics and now has horrible scatter although removing the splitter did increase the output power of the laser itself. Once it's all going in one direction it's going to be better regardless but I have to push one direction to get the beam back oriented over the optics. So I got it aimed correctly but I need an o-ring or something to align it right. tightening it down all the way makes it mis-align. HMMM. I got a great idea for a dvd laser home. Now I gotta find my mini-mag.

I think it's because the splitter was designed poorly and at a bad angle so they had to align the beam to shoot a different direction. once I removed the splitter the compensation they made for the beam is nullified. check out the image.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by SenKat
    Corona - although I admire your passion for safety, it is probably misplaced with these new-wish lasers. <snip> I have only personally seen one 50mw one that is under powered - I had one 50mw one that put out over 80mw right outta the box ! And no, not due to IR spillage, either
    Understood, and well said, and I retract my blathering about the NewWish lasers' quality and IR filtering. But there are a lot of nasty knockoffs out there!

Yeah, this is definitely a "hot" one, which the lucky few do encounter on occasion, I've played with one myself (a Leadlight) and it would pop balloons etc. Even with the IIIa label on the barrel

Just keep those eyepatch vendors starving

Oh, no - never retract ! It was well intentioned !!! If anyone runs across the nasty knock-offs, they should be well prepared that it could very well be an IR spewing light - and maybe 5mw of green as opposed to 195mw of IR ! It is a very real possibility with no kind of QA available for some of the unscroupulous (spelling ?) vendors out there - so you have a valid argument as well !

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker
    Just wanted to say great site, 10$ shipped for glasses, using paypal too! Nice and easy, everyone should wear protection!
    how was your only $10.00, what safety glasses did you get? and how did I manage to pay more, what did I do wrong? i'm looking to get another pair.