Surefire A2 or Surefire L4?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Don't really know much, but I do have a two of the SureFire.A2s and they're great! It's my current EDC lights. I do not have the SF.L4, but opted for the SF.L2 which I have no regrets whatsoever purchasing. It suits my uses.

What I like about the SF.A2 is the dual lighting of low LED and the instant Bright of incandescent. That in itself is very practical for what I'm using it for on a day-to-day basis. No complaints about EDC'ing either, since we're people that adapt to our ever changing environment. Then again, your methods may vary accordingly so.

Enjoy!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
IndecisiveFlashaholic said:
I cant decide between the two. I have heard excellent things about both. Any advice?
What are the intended applications. If its specific applications it is easier to recommend to you.

CLHC

Flashaholic
IndescisiveFlashaholic said:
. . .mostly used on camping trips. Walking about the trails, card games, reading etc...
If not both SureFires, then go with the SureFire.A2. Just my thoughts on it, that's all.

tussery

Enlightened
It will be mostly used on camping trips. Walking about the trails, card games, reading etc...
I would go for the A2 first since there is no low output from the L4 and 100 lumens to read it way too much light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It will be mostly used on camping trips. Walking about the trails, card games, reading etc...
If that's the case, the A2 is more versatile. Even if you equipped the L4 with a two-stage switch, the A2 comes ahead as utility light.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd go for the A2 with its dual output. White would be good for reading though and the yellow green is also a feasable choice.

greenLED

Flashaholic
IF, check my review of A2 LED colors for more information on what color may best suit your needs. It really depends on what you'll be using your light for.

Milkyspit offers modding services, changing the stock LED's for pretty much whatever you need/want.

Also, Atomic Chicken's started offering custom spare LED rings for the A2. IIRC, there's the option for multiple levels (within the LED!!) and even 2 or 3 color LED's on the same ring. Pretty neat stuff!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm an L4 fan, but I'd have to say the A2 because of it's dual output modes. If you don't have a specific need or use for colored light then you'll probably be very happy with white LEDs. :)

Turt

Enlightened
I've owned both... For what you are describing, the A2 seems to be the way to go. At the end of the day if you are going for WOW factor, L4 wins.

cslinger

Enlightened
A2 without a doubt. It is just such a darn good light. The LEDs work more then well enough for walking a trail or any number of utility type/close range uses and the Incan really gives you a lot of light and throw when needed. Mine are with white LEDs.

Chris

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the A2, but I think my L4 is obsoleted by new Cree or SSC lights. The L4 gets very hot within a few minutes, too hot to hold the head. I hear tints vary toward green, many have donut holes in the beam. The Lux5 LED's rated life is a little low (5k hours, IIRC) and expensive to replace. Runtime is modest. Needs a 2 stage switch to be really useful. Can't use 2 rechargeable 3.7 volt RCR123 batteries.

luigi

Enlightened

For this kind of usage I recommend the A2 with white LEDs.
The LEDs will give you a broad soft beam for the tent, card games and reading with a very very long runtime.
The incandescent beam can be used to illuminate the trails when walking, you can even hike using the LEDs using the incand from time to time to spot things and check the trail.

Luigi

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
luigi said:
For this kind of usage I recommend the A2 with white LEDs.
The LEDs will give you a broad soft beam for the tent, card games and reading with a very very long runtime.
The incandescent beam can be used to illuminate the trails when walking, you can even hike using the LEDs using the incand from time to time to spot things and check the trail.

Luigi

Agreed. After 10-15 minutes, the L4 may actually light the cards on fire as it gets very hot. The A2 will also get hot, but you have the low light option. Additionally, I prefer the incan beam of the A2 outdoors over nearly any LED, except maybe the USVOH Seoul in my HDS. Anyway, go for the A2, you won't be disappointed.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Have them both, and for your chocie I would go for the A2! it is the most versatile of them both! The led light on the A2 is plenty light for most times. And you have the incan in the same light, which I really prefer using outdoors!

For me, my L4 serves only one purpose, and that is to iluminate things, like my back yard, not to use for longer periods. It really is a wall of light!

Took me some time to decide to buy the A2, the only regret I have is that I didnt get it sooner!

Illum

Flashaholic
tussery said:
I would go for the A2 first since there is no low output from the L4 and 100 lumens to read it way too much light.

when low light is optimal and having a flashlight with only "high" becomes less than ideal, when your eyes gets adjusted to the dark you realize you dont need that bright of a light, but in cases when your walking and you need to spot something, then high beam becomes very useful. good thing with the A2, you can turn the tailcap to where the LED provides constant illumination and the xenons available with a slight pressure of the thumb.:naughty:

What color stock led's would anyone suggest? As a personal opinion...
well White for starters:whistle:....but now since Bawko invented the Aviaitrix rings, it doesnt really matter what color you buy first as you can change them out for other colors as necessary:grin2:

I've beem impressed by what I hear about the L4, but having never owned one Im shifting more in tune with the A2...:ohgeez:

Last edited:

gramanam

Newly Enlightened
With the A2 you can also get the Avatrix (sp?) upgrade from Atomic Chicken and get white + another color.
This way you can get the best of three worlds. Bright light (Incandesant light), Dimmer white light (2 white LED's), Other color (other color LED, red and green are popular choices).

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, I hate to echo what other people say... but, I too would recommend the A2 over the L4 for its versatility.