5-Watt Luxeon "Torch" Using 3 Lithium Cells

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
I may or may not be venturing into well-posted territory regarding the very nice 5-Watt blaster light that was recently jacked from my truck. :mad:
Anyone else remember this light? Despite the high current draw and expense of the CR123 cells it swallowed, it was a well balanced unit and hurt the eyes when needed. This Essential Gear model is not well stocked lately, adding to my loss.
A link or date of any thread on this unit would be appreciated.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you like to know? I still use one of those. It's my knock around "work" light. Are you looking for a place to buy, or just looking for some info? It runs even better on two protected 17500 Li-ions. I say it runs even better, because it appears to stay in regulation longer. (plus, no more batteries to buy!)

It's actually a Nuwai light. There are several variances of the same basic model, which include slightly difference body styles (the head, mainly) and difference colors of anodize. It's ALX-053L, ALX-153L, ALX-253L, ALX-353L.

Here's the site and page: http://www.cosmosled.com/5_watt_led/alx-053l.htm

That one, right?

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't hear much about these. Even with all the newer stuff out, I still like my 253L. I call it my U2 killer. It uses one more 123, not much bigger, costs about a third as much, runs twice as long and is brighter. Only one level though.... bright! :)

Dave

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 253L is brighter than a U2? I've compared my 053L with a U2, but the U2 appeared to have the edge, although, it's really hard to compare because they've got difference beams. The Nuwai's is all flood, like a Surefire L4, and the U2's is more narrow and throwy. These Nuwai lights are really great, though, and built like tanks.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trashman said:
Your 253L is brighter than a U2? I've compared my 053L with a U2, but the U2 appeared to have the edge, although, it's really hard to compare because they've got difference beams. The Nuwai's is all flood, like a Surefire L4, and the U2's is more narrow and throwy. These Nuwai lights are really great, though, and built like tanks.
I'll go along with you about the spot. Compared to two U2's though, in a ceiling bounce test, the 253L wins. Could be I just got lucky with the lottery.

Dave

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
45/70 said:
I'll go along with you about the spot. Compared to two U2's though, in a ceiling bounce test, the 253L wins. Could be I just got lucky with the lottery.

Dave

It could also be that the 253Ls are brighter than the 053Ls. Mine is bright, by any measure, though. I first saw the 053Ls for sale, and then about a year later, I started seeing the 253Ls. It could be that they started pushing the LEDs a little harder with the 253Ls. It could also be that the passaround U2 that I had was a bright one.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love my 253. I'm surprised that it doesn't get mentioned more often. It was a great value at the time. I run it on three protected RCR123 3.0v. LOTS of 'free' lumens. I love the floody beam on such a bright light.

IgNITEor

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Trashman, 45/70, & LED Thrift, for your info! Yep, that's the one in the link.
Nice black finish, slender profile, good grip. So the Nuwai is the original design?
I've already made the replacement purchase. Should have waited a little longer to check out the other versions. (I'm considering self afflicted a@# kicking now).
I will look into the 17500 Li-Ions. Gotta get the battery system together as I like keeping the beam output as fresh as possible. Thanks again for the input!

AZLight

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Pentagon L3? Very nice light and you can catch it on ebay for a very reasonable price.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Have you looked at the Cree and Seoul LED lights, twice the efficiency of the Luxeon. Produces the same output as a Luxeon 5 at half the voltage.

Nuwai ALX-053L review

Flashlight Review Cree page

The Fenix L2D-CE on turbo has more output then the Surefire L2 on high.

The Lumapower M1 might be a good replacement for your lost light(probably more expensive). Runs on a 18650 for 4 hours on high and 26 hours on low.

I hate it when people steal your stuff.

Last edited:

big beam

Enlightened
I run mine(253L) on 2 17500 and changed the emitter to a WXOS lux.This is the light I use to load coal in my furnace(lights up the whole chamber).It's very bright with about 1 hr of funtime ER runtime.

DON

Latest posts