Orb Raw Not Impressed

greenstuffs

Banned
I've just got an orb raw cree nothing great in my book
The fit and finish is not that great still machine marks and the surface is not purely smooth.
The light will not tailstand when you install a split ring or a leash very dissapointing i really like the Fenix's design in this matter.
Threads are very loose and the flashlight wobbles a little bit.
Light engine is direct drive and the output will just go dimmer, the 1 Hr in high only the first 20 min are at highest then it starts dropping towards the low 15 lumen at around 50 min.
Light engine is held by preasure and now the lense, optices, LE doesn't even hold in place. It just pops out.
No orings can be found in the light thus not waterproof and makes the feeling of the twisty motion very gritty.
This is a very expensive light at a $100 for a flashlight thats not even waterproof.
I've seen chinese lights with better bulid for half of the price.
Only thing that saves the light is the awesome beam but thats due to a MCR18 reflector.

Last edited:

Rob187

Enlightened
Wow. I am really surprised by that. I really like mine. It has developed a problem with the threads that Orb is going to sort out for me.

Orb are completely upfront about the 'issues' you raise - like direct drive, no o-rings, etc. I don't think it is fair to criticise it on those grounds. And the one thing you do like, the beam, you attribute to a component. Might as well attribute the brightness to Cree while you are at it.

I see it as a 'wow' light - with an amazing output for it's size. No, it is not the most practical but it is gorgeous and highly desirable.

I'll buy it off you for half the price you paid if that is what you think it is worth....

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there, greenstuffs

Sorry to hear you don't like yer ORB RAW Cree. But nothing you've put down as a fault or a dissappointment is suprising nor would the manufacturer claim otherwise. Most of it is mentioned in the reviews variously available on the 'net and linked to from the Orb site itself.

The main thing is it's form and size and output. Tiny and bright and not too fussy who knows it. I really love these lights in case you wondered, but obviously not everyone will.

I see Rob187 has just posted more or less the same while I was composing this reply!!!

If you want to sell it, I'm sure you'll get buyers very quickly...just PM Rob187 or me!!!!

Be lucky...

PS - I really think the remark about Chinese lights needs clarifying - which Cree based, RCR2 powered, hand lathed, Less-than-2-inches-long, much loved and sought after Chinese lights are you talking about, by any chance ?

(I'm Chinese by the way :grin2: )

Phredd

Enlightened
Have you contacted Rob? I've spoken to him a few times and he seems like a really good guy. I think he would try to work with you if you aren't happy with your Orb.

Phredd

brightspot

Newly Enlightened
greenstuffs said:
I've just got an orb raw cree nothing great in my book
The fit and finish is not that great still machine marks and the surface is not purely smooth.
The light will not tailstand when you install a split ring or a leash very dissapointing i really like the Fenix's design in this matter.
Threads are very loose and the flashlight wobbles a little bit.
Light engine is direct drive and the output will just go dimmer, the 1 Hr in high only the first 20 min are at highest then it starts dropping towards the low 15 lumen at around 50 min.
Light engine is held by preasure and now the lense, optices, LE doesn't even hold in place. It just pops out.
No orings can be found in the light thus not waterproof and makes the feeling of the twisty motion very gritty.
This is a very expensive light at a $100 for a flashlight thats not even waterproof.
I've seen chinese lights with better bulid for half of the price.
Only thing that saves the light is the awesome beam but thats due to a MCR18 reflector.
I think you make a valid point. When paying $100.00 or more for a light you expect a quality durable product not a flashlight that the lamp falls out when you change the battery. Even if the company tells you it does'nt have o-rings and such

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't have the Raw, only the NS, but I will say that I've been very happy with it. It's the brightest light by volume that I've ever owned including HID lights.
The only issue that I noticed you mention that the manufacturer doesn't tell you about up front were the gritty threads. Ok, I agree that the threads should be fully checked, cleaned, and lubed before a product is sent out. Maybe one slipped through the quality control check. If you contact Rob at Orb and he will make things right for you. Hope you get things resolved :)

greenstuffs

Banned
I think its my fault for not researching any further before purchasing the light.:ohgeez:

I don't think by contacting Rob will solve my issues from the inputs of this thread my light seems to be totally fine.
I originally bought the light as gift for my GF i will see if she likes it if not it will be in the BST. Hopefully she doesn't notice the flaws of it.:naughty:

The light is very cute and gorgeous as other people have mentioned otherwise i wouldn't even bothered.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion support and other thoughts to my humble opinion i now feel better and accept the light as a keychain cute piece of light instead of the ubber survival ultra rugged flashlight.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
Nice review and nice recovery. Orb fans are a passionate crew. I bet your GF will like it.

ensile

Enlightened
yeah it's funny i read the specs a few days ago, i think it was the smooth ? anyways it had tritium glow sticks installed, and yeh i remember asking myself what was the attraction to it, there were no 0-rings or anything of real errr... Substance, there was nothing too the light, but what appeared to be a hand-made hand-finished un-regulated keychain ornament.. I just remember thinking "who the hell would buy this" i think after I read specs, then saw the price.. i immediately thought of an e1L and smiled.. yeh really a 'collectors' piece, or for someone who wants to say they have it all..

ensile

Enlightened
wait no the smooth had no tritium. thats right it was just a plain version, all show, no go (from greens opinion, not much show either.)

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightspot said:
the lamp falls out when you change the battery.

Mine doesn't. I'm not sure what is holding it in place, but it seems to stay put.
You should ask Rob about that.

Mine is a Raw Ti Rainbow, which should be mechanically identical to yours.

The cost of the Orb in the US is obviously affected by the decline in the
value of the $ vs the £.

If you want a tiny light that is regulated, waterproof, can tailstand with
a lanyard and is of impeccable build quality, get a Draco or perhaps
its little brother, the "Drake", when it becomes available.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenstuffs said:
I don't think by contacting Rob will solve my issues from the inputs of this thread my light seems to be totally fine.
Of course you shoul contact rob if you received the light from him that way. The wobbling and "popping out of the LE" is not ok. I have 8 Orb Raws (5 from rob himself, 3 from CPF members) and none have these issues.

Eric

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear that, I dont see Why they dont make an orb in Al with the design of the Ns and the Ti, It doesn't make sense to me I thought about getting an Orb but got a CR2 Ion XRE modded instead. The Draco looks awesome but I dont have the money I cant imagine making a "little brother" to the Draco its go to be pretty damn small.

Sable

Enlightened
I thought the LE in a Raw was supposed to be removable - or, in other words "pop out." The one that Quickbeam got for Flashlight reviews did. It's so you can upgrade the LE fairly inobtrusively, if I'm recalling correctly (Not that, as near as I've seen, it's terribly easy to get spare/upgraded light engines).

Russianesq

Enlightened
the NS and the original Orb are very different lights. I would highly recomend the NS but can not do the same with the Orb. The NS solves all the above shortcomings. THe only disadvantage is that it is slighly more heavier and costs more.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Orb lights are more custom made jewelry than tools, thats why they have the elite following. I dont mind the "litttle things" on my Raws since I know they are buiolt that way, and like most people here say, the NS takes the build a stpe further addressing the so called "issues" with the regular Raw. But perfection comes at a premium and that why the NS cost a bit more. Im taking care of the little imperfections on my Raw Cree with a chrome bath from Modamag ( and hes doing gold too!!), and you always have the option of selling in the BST thread, im sure it will go faster then you can say Wee!!!