2 & 3 Cell Maglite TerraLUX SSC P4 U drop-in

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2~3 Cell MagliteTerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U

I should have a tracking number for them before the week is out - as soon as I do I'll post a pre-sale link. :)

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

MattK said:
I should have a tracking number for them before the week is out - as soon as I do I'll post a pre-sale link. :)

Thanks Matt, in dealing with TerraLUX, did they give you any idea in the lumens for running 2 cells.
140lm seems a bit optimistic.

Patriot

Flashaholic

orbital said:
Thanks Matt, in dealing with TerraLUX, did they give you any idea in the lumens for running 2 cells.
140lm seems a bit optimistic.

I think it's boosted right Matt? The L2D CE is getting 140 lumens out of 3.0 volt. I would imagine that Terralux should be able to be right of there too.

Thanks for the update Matt.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup - it has a boost circuit. I've been told to expect 125-150L at the emitter.

They'll ship before this Friday so we'll start pre-sale in a few days. :)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it going to be the same overall brightness as the 3-6 cell module when being run on 4 cells?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen it yet so I'm hesitant to make promises but yes, that's basically the understanding that I have.

martonic

Enlightened
Is the 3-6 cell Terralux the brightest on 6 cells, or does it "max out" at 4 cells?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't done enough experimenting to make an authoritative statement but if it's brighter at 5/6 cells my eyes cannot see it.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
I haven't seen it yet so I'm hesitant to make promises but yes, that's basically the understanding that I have.

Great! This thing is gonna make a 2C Mag one hell of a light! I can't wait for one!!! :rock:

mvpulsts

Newly Enlightened
So, whats the difference between this and the TLE-6K2 from lighthound?

barkingmad

Enlightened
So has anyone tested if it does actually get brighter at 3 -> 4 -> 5 -> 6 cells or does the runtime just increase?

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I think up to 4 there is a slight increase in brightness on a light meter but mostly the runtime is effected.

Cydonia

Enlightened
TerraLUX TLE-6EX-B.... what does the "B" stand for? Beta?
With the extra boost stage I worry that this drop-in will generate even more heat than the previous 3-6 cell version. Any thoughts? Newbies review of the 6EX seemed to show... very high temperatures of over 100C in about 10 minutes of operation. (Was the module he tested defective? Newbies latest update on May 5 does not say this)

But the idea of a Mag 2C + UCL lens + TerraLux = 100+ regulated lumens on dirt cheap alkalines with good run time is so appealing... and at this price that... well, who can complain?! It just bugs me that premature failure and/or LED degredation and color shift could occur from excess heat :thumbsdow

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TLE-6K2 came before this - it uses a luxeon K2 and is only about 2/3 as bright at best while using the same amount of power.

B is for boost wise guy. Newbies whole review is based upon a defective unit. I've since sent him a new unit and hope he'll find the time to redo it. We've shipped nearly 500 or maybe more of these at this point and about 99.9% of our customers are thrilled - many coming back to buy more.

Any day now - TerraLUX is a bit short-handed this week as most of their staff is at a tradeshow so our order's being packed a bit more slowly than usual. Very soon!!! :)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im curious to know how it compares to my 2 cell ...i wonder are they using the same circuit as there 1w 2/3cell from before or is this a new circuit...have you got a price set already ?

Last edited: