I am a newbie and I am a torchaholic...

praetor coda

Newly Enlightened
I'm a long time viewer 2nd time threader and I have to say, You customizers and modders of the portable electric torch are awesome! I am inspired to do the same but I don't think I am brave enough to mod my Surefires. So I purchased a few mag lites to canibalize,...I mean experiment with. Using available xenon and luxeon bulbs from Victorinox stores, I managed to change out the filament bulbs of the Mags and replace them with the better luxeon/ xenon bulbs with success and now I have the modders bug, as you might relate when some of you began, but I am afraid I don't know where to begin. I don't know anything about the luxeon/ xenon bulbs or lumen measuring...hell, as you can possibly tell I don't even know the lingo. Basically, I want to learn to build/make my own torches, Where do I began. I found other torches that maybe 2nd rung to the surefires and prime for modding...Target department stores sells them and they are pretty good, too. They're made by Eddie Bauer and a company called River Rock Designs I've seen some Innova's also. I don't know if any of you guys are fimiliar with these brands. But I think they're good candidates for modding.

I have a few questions:

Where might I find the bulbs you guys use in your customs and mods?
are there kits available
how do you remove some of these torch heads to get to the bulbs/circuit boards?

Although I made my own clamps from stock aluminum with the holes being the .050 oversize so i could fit flat vacuum belts within the ID of the clamps, which make a nice tight fit over the torch head which grips the headsafely and securely while I turn the torche's body with another similar clamp, twist and turn the torch head comes off anf the rubber belts prevent scratching the anodized torch bodies. this system doesn't always work. is there another way?

Also, with all the magazines out there, some insipid, such as biking, running, boating Some are essential such as, machinist workshop, homeshop machinist, the digital machinist and guns and ammo
grinser2.gif
, is there a magazine on flashlights? If it sounds stupid look over my insipid list, again. If not, why not? It would be like publishing this web site. Covering the same aspects this site does. Specially the customizers and modders zone, where aricles and photos show how to machine custom torch bodies and mod existing ones, the articles could even be given in parts depending how long it takes to do a project. Man, would that be awesome! Had I the capitol, that is the first venture I'd invest in. Well thanks for stopping by and reading my thread. I hope to learn by following projects/and mod logs.