PHOTON freedom with cree ??

winterzelt

Banned
I was just curious since i love my little photons ... would it be possible to put a cree xre or seoul in there ? Or is the company already planning that?:naughty:

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Totally newbie question ..... but aren't those button cell batteries the same voltage as typical AA's ??

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lithium coin cells are 3v. But in this case, it's not the voltage that's the problem. Those little coin cells just dont have the capacity needed to supply enough current.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lithium coin cells are 3v. But in this case, it's not the voltage that's the problem. Those little coin cells just dont have the capacity needed to supply enough current.
Well, they will supply a lot of current for a minute or so, then drop off to next to nothing. So much current though that it might fry the circuit, as the Crees generally have lower forward voltage -- the one I tested drew over 300mA from two coin cells.

The problem with the Freedom is that the light is essentially direct drive, it just uses a microchip to use PWM to conserve battery life. Adding in some resistance would probalby be needed to bring the Cree to a more reasonable level of current (say, 100mA as opposed to the 350mA I was seeing when I tested a Cree on coin cells), then PWM could be used from there to conserve power.

winterzelt

Banned
2xTrinity said:
Well, they will supply a lot of current for a minute or so, then drop off to next to nothing. So much current though that it might fry the circuit, as the Crees generally have lower forward voltage -- the one I tested drew over 300mA from two coin cells.

The problem with the Freedom is that the light is essentially direct drive, it just uses a microchip to use PWM to conserve battery life. Adding in some resistance would probalby be needed to bring the Cree to a more reasonable level of current (say, 100mA as opposed to the 350mA I was seeing when I tested a Cree on coin cells), then PWM could be used from there to conserve power.

That`s a resonable answer , thank`s very much for the info I knew there are some peoples here who know what they are talking about:grin2: