Need some more help with My Ultrafire C2

Jefff

Enlightened
Hi guy's,

I am wondering if anyone has had the chance to upgrade the Purple tint Cree that may have been in their Ultrafire C2's yet.. I am wanting to swap the cree out for a more whiter tint one with out losing the throw.. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as to what would be a better emmiter..

I am still trying to grasp the whole new cree thing and not sure what one to buy or who has the best deal or where to get one.. There is so much informantion on this site it is pretty hard to sort through it to nail down what I need.. I have been reading something about a Q2 cree that may be what I am needing.. but still not sure so I thought better to ask then to mess up and get the wrong thing..

Also I have modded my C2's stock reflector for optimal throw by polishing the stock reflector to a smooth mirror finish and it seems to have a better throw but shows alot of artifacts in it and not nearly as smooth.. So I am looking for a stock C2 reflector also or one that would work in it.. Be it smooth or Orange Peel as long as it gives good results and does not lessen the Throw of this light..

Thank you guys for any help again..

Jeff

Jefff

Enlightened
Thought I would add some pics of the reflector and beam shots of the artifacts.. It did seems to give it a fair more amount of throw but up close work the light is not so great looking..
The results could be from where I opened up the Center hole at the cree emitter at any rate I am still looking for another stock reflector to use in it at times..

1002384smallxm0.jpg

1002395smallnq5.jpg

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jefff said:
Hi guy's,

I am wondering if anyone has had the chance to upgrade the Purple tint Cree that may have been in their Ultrafire C2's yet.. I am wanting to swap the cree out for a more whiter tint one with out losing the throw.. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction as to what would be a better emmiter..
Even the WD that DX Sells are better than the ones that come stock in terms of tint. The best tint is the WH tint, I have a couple of those and that tint is absolutely amazing, very similar tint to natural sunlight (comparing sunlight coming in a window to light from the flashilght side-by-side).

I have been reading something about a Q2 cree that may be what I am needing.. but still not sure so I thought better to ask then to mess up and get the wrong thing..
The Q2 will be about 12% brighter. If you get one of those in WH, that would be the best of both worlds.

Jefff

Enlightened
Do you know where I can get one of those
The Q2 will be about 12% brighter. If you get one of those in WH, that would be the best of both worlds

And do I need a bare emmiter or one on a star? Also do you know how to get the pill apart from the C2.. Do I just simply unsolder the 2 rear joints and take it out of the back .. or can I get that black plastic thing off on the front?
And thank you very much for your help ..

Jefff

Enlightened
Also .. Would a Seoul P4's be just as good or better to buy one of these to replace the stock emmiter in the C2 and what is the difference

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jefff said:
Do you know where I can get one of those

And do I need a bare emmiter or one on a star? Also do you know how to get the pill apart from the C2.. Do I just simply unsolder the 2 rear joints and take it out of the back .. or can I get that black plastic thing off on the front?
And thank you very much for your help ..
The Cree Emitters are pretty difficult to work with. I'd recommend just getting a star and clipipng the edges, or, if you get one from DX, get the one with the 16mm base.

As for the Seoul, that one is also really efficient, but has a completely different beam pattern -- so the focal length of the reflector may not be correct for it. It might work, but there is no guarantee.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Also do you know how to get the pill apart from the C2.. Do I just simply unsolder the 2 rear joints and take it out of the back .. or can I get that black plastic thing off on the front?

Sorry to bump up this old thread but does anyone have an idea about this question?
I want to do this upgrade bad... I am unsatisfied with the tint of this light but I like the body and reflector. So has anyone successfully upgraded the emitter? More specifically: has anyone removed the pill from the rear by un-soldering ?

Thanks

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Drill a couple of holes in the plastic piece and pry it out. I replaced the P4 cree with a Q4 cree. It is pretty easy.
I desoldered the two blobs on the back of the pill and pulled the driver. I replaced the driver with the 5 mode 7135 boards from DX.
These changes made a world of difference. I absolutely love this light now!
Mike

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
Drill a couple of holes in the plastic piece and pry it out. I replaced the P4 cree with a Q4 cree. It is pretty easy.
I desoldered the two blobs on the back of the pill and pulled the driver. I replaced the driver with the 5 mode 7135 boards from DX.
These changes made a world of difference. I absolutely love this light now!
Mike

Mike,
You drilled a hole in the black plastic ring to pry it out? The pic is sh!tty, but anywhere in the black ring below?

f_IMG3333m_0426db0.jpg

I guess I'm scared of drilling into the star underneath, but I'll give it a shot. Did you fill in the hole after you finished? Also, if you de-solder the driver from the bottom, does everything else come tumbling out? I'm willing to experiment a little since this light is so cheap, but I just want to know what I'm getting into.
Thanks for the help.

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Unscrew the pill out of the flashlight. Drill a couple of holes in the black plastic piece and pry it out. No, I did not fill them back in. The star is easily removable from there. Desolder the wires. Next, flip the pill over and desolder the two little blobs holding the board in place. Gently pry the board out, or push down through one of the holes that the wires feed through. There is nothing else to fall out. The pill is the heatsink and should now be empty.
I next fed the wires from my new board up through the holes. My new driver was a tight fit when I presser it into place and made electrical contact just fine so, I did not resolder the little retaining blobs. Flip the pill back over, clean where the new star goes if needed. Check the fit of the new star making sure the emitter will be centered. Grind/file/sand the very edges of the star if necessary. It won't be much. Apply some thermal adhesive. Press in the new star. Solder the connections.
Your done. Very easy.
Mike

Scattergun

Enlightened
I never drill holes in the black cover, just take a very thin and sharp screwdriver and wedge it in between the cover and the aluminium rim, pry it open and the cover will snap off....

sims2k

Enlightened
You could put in a Q5 emitter from DX or purchase the new C2 with the Q5 LED already installed... also from DX.