The exact difference between ARC LS1 rev2 and LS2 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Connor

Enlightened
.. is that the LS1 rev2 uses a LD (low dome) 1W Luxeon Emitter and the LS2 uses a HD (high dome) one.

Fine, but what exactly makes those lights different then? :)
Just the beam shape? Runtime and brightness *should* be the same, since both ARCs are (under-) driven at 400mA - or am I wrong here?

A most curious

Connor
smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the hd beam should be slightly narrower and project further. the recommended specs for 1watters are 350ma @ 3.42v

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the LS1 & LS2 are driven at 400mA. The high dome emitters are suppose to be a little brighter and beam pattern is a little tighter. The difference is basically an upgrade in the emitter, that's all.

Connor

Enlightened
Thanks for the answers.

Still, I am wondering if the HD emitter (= ARC LS2) is *worth* the wait .. and the extra money.

If the HD just throws somewhat farther while the LD has more of a "flood" beam pattern, the LD emitter would actually be better for 'lighting needs' in the closer range and the overall difference would be quite marginally.

Could someone clarify this, maybe?

-Connor

Darell

Flashaholic
Connor -

Actually, it sounds to me as if you've clarified it pretty well. But soon the LS2 will be THE Arc LS option, and it does have a great beam for those who are after a bit more throw.

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I am fairly new here and I am interested in getting a Arc LS (123). I seem to remember finding a thread somewhere comparing the brightness and runtime of the various LS versions/hybrids but cannot find it now. I see some used older Arc LSs for sale and I think I want an older one if they have a longer runtime.
Any info would be appreciated.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
In general, using a single CR123A battery, the original Arc LS would slowly drop into moon mode after 2.5 to 3 hours. The current selling hybrids (at 400mA) are about 2x as bright and are regulated very well, running for 2.5 hours until dropping into moon mode.

Now using 2AA lithiums in the older version would give you the brightest output for almost 5 hours before moon mode. But again your at almost half the brightness and spending $5 a battery change.

The Newer version on lithiums has very little if any brightness increase & works just as well on rechargeables.

Hope that helps.

Prodeje79

Newly Enlightened
So older version=rev1 and new version=rev2 right?
Sorry I am getting confused!

So which LS would be the best for 2 AA rechargables? Maybe this would be the most cost effective? I am not familiar with battery costs too much yet.
What is the best/cheapest source for batteries?
How much is a p123 battery?

I am debating to get the used LS nascar is selling just FYI. =D

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by radellaf:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Newer version on lithiums has very little if any brightness increase & works just as well on rechargeables
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">'course unless you're using the 2AA TSP it'll put big fat dents in your rechargeables... wasn't too happy to discover that about my ARC SLS.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Same here, my batteries dented to the point that the light would no longer turn on, even if threaded all the way on. So I dropped a spring (from a 2 AA mini-mag) into the bottom. Now it works perfect and doesn't damage my batteries anymore.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look here for more info.

The only version shipping now should have the 400mA hybrid circuitry and it works very well with rechargeables.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Newer version on lithiums has very little if any brightness increase & works just as well on rechargeables
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">'course unless you're using the 2AA TSP it'll put big fat dents in your rechargeables... wasn't too happy to discover that about my ARC SLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.