need help for my first led

saul31

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,
I'm French so I ask you to excuse my English language.

I think it's time for me to enter in the 21th century and to retire my old Minimag. The problem is: this forum is to much complete and I'm a little bit lost so I need your help.

Here are the features I would want for my first and only flashlight (home, hollidays and bushcraft, everything except EDC):

_ CREE led

_ 2 CR123A battery

_ clicky

_ (diveable) EDIT: dunkable

_ with 2 levels: 2 hours and 16 hours (150, 50 lumens???)

_ very well regulated

_ a nice Surefire-style look (I'm a civilian but it's my "mall-ninja" side, P3D seems to have good characteristics but I want a [big voice]real men flashlight[/big voice] not a futuristic sex-toy)

Does-it exists? Does-it exists for 100$ max? Should I wait for new models?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is a currently made light (or light source, for that matter) that will actually meet your desired requirements right now, but the main thing that stuck out at me in your list was 'divable'.

Define 'divable' for us. If you really need to use it for a dive light, it changes all the rules and makes your price point pretty much impossible.

schiesz

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'd have to recommend a P3D CE and then a separate dive light of some type. Sorry, I know that you wanted it all in one, but it doesn't exist at this time. :)

saul31

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina: thank you.

Lighthouse: yes, something like that, but I really nead a good power at low setting and a good time at high setting, thank you.

Schiesz: rain, snow and splash resistant which is able to be dived in the water few seconds, but maybe the word was "dunkable", sorry for my English language.

saul31

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have few more questions:

_ It doesn't exists for 100$, but for more?

_ Should I hope a futur model will satisfy my wishes?

_ Does the [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Huntlight quality or performance justify the difference in price with the P3D (40$)? [/font]

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know that any current LED will hit 50 lumens for 16 hours and/or 150 for 2 hours on two CR123 batteries. Maybe the next wave of LED's will be that efficient, but since the last wave just got here, it might be a while before you'll see the next jump.

Wow, specs on the P3D claim close to this, but I don't see how its possible with the cree ~80 lumens/watt. It must be pretty close, since Fenix is usually pretty close with their specs.

I think i'd get the fenix P3D if I were you.

schiesz

Enlightened
Saul31,

Take a look at the Huntlight FT01XSE Cree and the Fenix P3D. They are both very bright lights with multiple brightness levels. The Huntlight gets 2 hrs. on high, 22 hrs. on low. The Fenix gets 1.8 hrs. on High, 65 hrs. on low.

Both have Crees, both use 2 CR123As, both have clickies, both are dunkable and both are well regulated.

The lights are very similar and both sell for well under $100.

Enlightened
Ok, I have few more questions:

_ It doesn't exists for 100$, but for more?

_ Should I hope a futur model will satisfy my wishes?

_ Does the [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Huntlight quality or performance justify the difference in price with the P3D (40$)? [/font]

I have both the Huntlight and the P3D and appearance aside, the lights are very similar. IMHO the P3D provides more bang for the buck.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much closer to your requirements could a light be than the LumaPower LumaHunter M1 Tactical LED flashlight w/ Cree XR-E 7090 LED?

[FONT=arial, helvetica] -Ultra-Long runtime, and remarkable brightness; ~140 lumens high, 50 lumens low!.
-31mm Polished Metal Reflector for amazing throw distance and orange peel reflector included for maximum beam quality and enhanced spill.
-Cree XRE-7090 LED at 750ma with High/Low tailcap switch.
-State of the art DC-DC circuit design, Full-regulated output.
-Multiple power source options:2 X CR123A, 2 X RCR123A, 1 X 18650, 600P, etc. Batteries not included.
-Modular-Design, for easy upgrades.
-Gold-Plated contact springs for maximum conduction.
-AR coated glass lense improves light emission.
-Type III Hard Anodizing provides superior wear resistance.
-Removable pocket clip included.
-Integrated strike bezel for personal protection.
-Included in the package are extra o-rings, a glow in the dark GITD tailcap switch cover and a single tactical momentary switch and a 2 stage reverse click switch.

Runtimes: -2 Primary CR123A 1:20/High; 6:10/Low.
-2 Rechargeable RCR123A :40/High; 3:00/Low.
-1 18650 (Lithium-ion rechargeable)4:10/High; 25:00/Low
[/FONT]

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Keep in mind that many manufacturers over-spec the lumen ratings of their lights. That's why manufacturer lumen ratings really are only good in comparing lights from the same company.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here is the Output and Runtime chart for the M1 from www.flashlightreviews.com Looks like the M1 stands up pretty well.

Image1.jpg