American Summer Camp - Camp Counsellor

Empyfree

Enlightened
This summer I'm heading to Maine to act as a Camp Counsellor at Camp Modin. The Camp America assocation in GB has a forum which I'm active on. The question just came up about torches :) and I stepped in!

I've reccomended people to a) spruce up their dad's old mini-maglite, or b) look to fenix-store for a L2d-CE.

I have suggested both these because they run from AA's, not the best I know but very very availiable! I personally will be taking my new P3D, but trying to explain CR123 batteries to people in the UK is a non starter!

I know people will instantly jump in with surefire related responses, but the people that are going to be counsellors havent got much spare money, and need something with plenty "bang for the buck"

Has anybody here experienced (as a Counsellor or participant!) the summer camp experience, and what torch would you reccomend if asked?

Retinator

Enlightened
Hmmmm.......

Inova X1, may be good for inside tents.
Fenix has some options for AA setups, couldn't tell ya right off the bat as I'm not a Fenix guy myself.

Streamlight Propoly 4AA or 3C
Any of the Magleds would probably be affordable for most. Or even regular Magleds.

Do you have Dorcy or Garrity over there? They may have some cheap options as well.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what kind of camping you're doing - I live at a year-round camp, with traditional summer camp during the summer and school camps, retreats and other groups during the rest of the year. Most people are either going to have the cheapest D flashlight they can find or a minimag. I dazzled people with my Everled-modified Maglites, and when they saw what a Surefire was capable of they just went crazy..

Personally, for night hikes and trips to the bathroom, I'd recommend a small LED. Nothing fancy - MagLED or smaller. You don't need brightness, you just need to see enough to not hurt yourself. You're outside in the dark, THAT'S THE POINT OF A NIGHT HIKE!! Even as non-staff, I hiked at night and enjoyed it most when I was hiking by moonlight alone. Second place would be in a DRIVING rainstorm with my Barbolight U15, but that's another story ;)

mdocod

Flashaholic
A big box of $0.25 cent lights. that way you can hand em out to the kids who loose their or forgot to bring one, lol. ok, ok...

on a more serious note. If you are trying to come up with recommendations for counselors, sporting goods stores in the area might carry Princeton Tec lights, something like a Tec20 or Tec40 if you are looking for AA size only..

however: I am a big fan of "C" size lights when recommending "general duty" lights. The streamlight propoly 3C luxeon comes to mind.

highorder

Enlightened
Has anybody here experienced (as a Counsellor or participant!) the summer camp experience, and what torch would you reccomend if asked?

5 year camp administrator here. I spend my summers in the Berkshires of Western Mass.

the most popular lights among the general staff are Princeton Tec led lights because they are available in the local EMS. The kids seem partial to Streamlight twin-task lights; I think the camp clothier catalog offers them. Since mom stocks and packs almost every campers bag, they get what they get...

among the Admins, I count 2 SF U2's, 3 A2's at least 4 C/P/Z series 2 and 3 cell lights...

My primary camp light this summer will probably be my flupic driven A19 XR-E on a E2d body...

The bump in the night go-to tends to be a D3 running 2x17500.

EDIT: I just looked into Camp Modin, and it looks like a nice place. a bit smaller than my summer home, but co-ed :sssh:

if this is your first summer at camp, get ready for the adventure of your life! otherwise, welcome back. :rock:

Last edited:

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
I have used and recommend the streamlight 4AA or 3c polypro,leds, as they last nearly for ever on one set of batteries.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know one thing's for sure, those Councilors at Camp Crystal Lake could have used better flashlights. (You older guys might get the joke).

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
I know one thing's for sure, those Councilors at Camp Crystal Lake could have used better flashlights. (You older guys might get the joke).

That ain't no lie. A M*G 11 mabey? For those that don't get the joke, tebore is refering to Camp Crystal Lake from the Friday the 13th series of movies.

highorder

Enlightened
speaking of hockey, the Detroit Red Wings just closed out the San Jose Sharks! We are on our way to the Western Conference Champion finals to face the Ducks...

Go Wings!

ginaz

Enlightened
i did two years of outdoor education with two lights, a brinkman longlife and a red inova microlight. our night hikes were all about experiencing the night and focusing on other senses. if an instructor had blazed along the trail with even a fenix they would not have done so the second night.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Mini-maglight.

I say this not because it's the best (it isn't) but because it runs AA's it can withstand drops without blowing it's lamp (which the mini-mag is famous for), i'd say because it's a known factor from a very well known company.

As a watch person I could tell someone to buy a Rolex. Simply because it's a safe bet from a well known international manufacturer, while knowing that there are a dozen (or two or three) manufacturers that kick the stuffin out of Rolex, but 99.99% don't know and really don't care.

So I would suggest the Mini-mag LED, it's safe and well known.

Empyfree

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I hope you do some flashlight modding at Camp Modin.

Groan... I don't think I'll take my only mod with me... 6D Rop would take up half my luggage allowance!

mdocod said:
A big box of $0.25 cent lights. that way you can hand em out to the kids who loose their or forgot to bring one, lol. ok, ok...

Great minds think alike, I already stocked up on these to use as bribes/prizes, It's amazing how many have found there way onto my familys keys though!

It's my first ever summer American summer camp, I've been a Scout leader in the UK for years... something tells me I'm in for a shock! Never been on a scout camp with water-ski boats!

Empyfree

Enlightened
I've actually got no Idea what a new mag-led costs over here, but I still wouldnt reccomend them to anybody over a Fenix... Just seems like yesterdays technology trying to play catch-up. Having said that I still love the maglite body shape, just wish I could match the brightness of one of my Cree equipped fenixes.

Danbo

Enlightened
tebore said:

They could've also used a couple of shotguns, too! :D