Night Hike Story - Without lights? - for a while...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went on a camping trip last weekend which was a bit of a class on backpacking as well. An instructor took us out on a night hike Saturday to demonstrate some night time hiking and navigation techniques. All this intended to be with lights OFF! I was flashaholically well prepared on this camping trip having brought: Jil Intelli, Photon Freedom Max, Photon X-Light Micro, P1D CE with Leef McClicky body, and one of my faves, my Milky L1 head - E1 body - McE2S two-stage tailcap frankenlight, LRI Proton, and of course my SV1H modded PT EOS with 15 degree optic. We were hiking around a lake we camped by in the NE lower peninsula of Michigan, in the Hoist Lakes walking trails area.
We started with all lights off, navigating by stars, learning to feel the trail under us to stay on it, listen for sounds to guide us, and see the lake from a distance by the lack of trees in that area in the distance. Maintaining light discipline to also maintain night vision. Me feeling like I had an itchy trigger finger, kept the ever flexible Proton in my hand. No lights until about three quarters of the way around we lost the trail and began to walk away from the lake. So the instructor turned on his headlight to see where we were. Eventually, we were all assisting in finding the trail we missed, and of course, my P1D and MilkyL1 blew away everyone else's lights. When the leader would walk off the trail with his headlight, he would say "shine that light over here" to assist his headlight. I never even used hi on the P1D, just medium, and it could light up an entire area to find the stubbornly hidden trail. I have a mild diffuser on my P1D for a nice spread beam. Of course, this killed all of our night vision, so we relied even more heavily on our other senses to guide us when we found the right trail and it was lights out again to hike the last part of the trail.
Fun hike, and a nice demo of new generation LEDs.

There was one guy with an Arc AAA clipped to the brim of his hat (with a red filter he made himself), and when I asked if that was an Arc, he was impressed I recognized it. He asked how I knew that. "Well, there's this place on the web..."

mdocod

Flashaholic
Well, there's this place on the web..."

that's what I'm always saying.. "well, there's this place online that proves that I am not alone and should not be ashamed of my flashlight addiction"

lol. nice story.

Flashlight Enthusiast
last time i was in the woods believe it or not i had only my zippo and cell phone screen to light the way, biggest mistake of my life. After that day i always have a light on me.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall the last time I was really 'in the woods' without a light. It was December 31, 1999... the day all hell was supposed to break out yet nothing happened other than business as usual. My ex wife was convinced it would be the end of the world so we went down to her dads cabin in a VERY rural area. With about two hours of sunlight, I went out with a .22 rifle without any specific intentions and a 9mm just in case a 2-legged critter was up to no good. But no light.

Well, I kinda got lost and it kinda got cold and I kinda wasn't dressed for the occasion. I ended up three parcels to the west (all the property is relatively skinny but VERY deep) and to be honest, I think I would have been fine if I had even a standard 2D or 3D Mag.

Having said that, with all of my lights, I do greatly prefer to have a light capable of very low output while walking in that area... The option of bright is always nice, but between really bright and about 5 lumens, the 5 lumens wins every time.