Corrosion in tube

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just found some corrosion in one of my Coast lights due to water on cells. I'm applying some silicon grease to stop it, but what does everyone else use?

chiphead

p.s
Good luck to the folks in Greenburg, KS.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
nyogel via Lighthound

corrosion as in rust or mineral buildup?
I'd say mineral, as its been eating the batteries. I think some water got in there from last weeks storms. But it's still working. I think I've heard of this nyogel stuff from my defence/aerospace days. Since my early flashaholic days, I've been using SYNCOLON Lube Gel from Radio Shack. Do you know if nyogel can handle this Texas heat (117F in a pickup truck)?

chiphead

Illum

Flashaholic
mineral like calcite from hard water will have a white but smooth buildup, if its from alkaline cells then it should be white crystals with a sandstone feeling to it

if its mineral I guess you can try that spray stuff used for tubs, spray some on a paper towel and see if it comes off

if its alkaline leak, then for base crystals I suggest vinegar and a toothbrush

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
I had something similar in my 3D Mag and tried a WIRE BRUSH and VINEGAR and it barely touched it. I thought for sure the batteries had leaked (alkaline batteries) since they had some of the same residue on the seams of the battery outer shell.

If that did not work (and I scrubbed for 15 minutes with the wire brush and vinegar) then what would you suggest I try next?

Many thanks-
Sproles

Illum

Flashaholic
Sproles said:
I had something similar in my 3D Mag and tried a WIRE BRUSH and VINEGAR and it barely touched it. I thought for sure the batteries had leaked (alkaline batteries) since they had some of the same residue on the seams of the battery outer shell.

If that did not work (and I scrubbed for 15 minutes with the wire brush and vinegar) then what would you suggest I try next?

Many thanks-
Sproles

if its shallow enough [I.E. near the tailcap or otherwise reachable by hand, I suppose you could try and drill it out with one of those polishing wire brush....

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Sproles said:

Many thanks-
Sproles

If close to the ends, a Dremel with rotary brush. Otherwise, there are longer wire rotary brushes for a drill. They will clean it up lickity split.

Illum

Flashaholic
its a pain when you can't reach the stain:ohgeez:

A couple CPFers disassembled the switch and tried dipping the entire body into some sort of solution but most gets tossed:awman: