Red AAA questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcon67

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a red led AAA from TAD Gear, they had a couple left, and was noticing some differences from my other AAA's.

What rev is it?? It has a grey foam ring, no kem coating, the o-ring fits much looser, and I notice that the led seems much closer to the end of the light.

I am especially concerned about water resistance, since I bought this (don't laugh ) to put on my dogs collar when I let him out at night, so he can be seen by cars if he goes in the street. Plus he's clumsy, maybe he will be able to see where he's going better! He is a black dog, so basically he is invisible at night now. But I wouldn't put it past him to get the light submerged in water so I hope its still waterproof.

I got this idea from someone else on this forum, and I thought it was a terrific idea, plus I have a steady supply of semi used up AAA batteries from mine and my wifes palm pilots to use for basically free power, since I used to just throw em away, I am looking forward to seeing just how long these "used up" batteries will last in an arc.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Arc stopped making the colored LED AAAs some revisions ago. This is maybe a 2.5 or something like that, but don't worry--still a fine light. Don't worry about water resistance, all the electronics in the Arc AAA (Even the older ones I believe, somone will verify I am sure) are exoxied together...what this basically means, in a nutshell, is that even if you get water in the battery compartment the light will continue to operate just fine.

You may want to do a roll crimp on that light, as this improvement wasn't added until Rev 3.1...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
before doing that, you might want to read this thread...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=31&t=000249

grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, the Red AAA may be making a comeback. We finally found a good enough red LED (much better than the ones we had before!). All we need now is a large enough order. This would probally be best suited for military use.

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I just received a red and a green from TAD. My red one fits the above description. I was worried a little about water resistance on both of them, but they passed the sink test just fine :) I couldn't find any other dealers with the discontinued colors still in stock.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Any idea when we may be seeing some of those red ones?

Speaking of ARC AAA "colors"...how close is the turquoise to the green? I bought a green one and a turquoise one...not much difference (maybe my green is actually a "turquoise"?). The green one was used but the new one says turquoise right on the package...personal thoughts/experiences?

** EDIT ** Compared to a verified "green", my ARC AAA is indeed "turquoise" and much better than "green"! Did a search in the Forums - all kinds of talk about folks confusing this as "green"...I'm happy now!
smile.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Originally posted by Gransee:
Btw, the Red AAA may be making a comeback. We finally found a good enough red LED (much better than the ones we had before!). All we need now is a large enough order. This would probally be best suited for military use.

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That would be great!! How large an order are you talking about? 50, 100, 500, 1000 ?

These would be great for anyone that needs to preserve their night vision.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My green one is similar to the turquoise that I have, but they are definitely easy to differentiate. The turquoise is the brightest Arc AAA that I've seen. I bought it used, so I'm not sure if it's the EV model (wasn't that what it was called?, or was that Darell's car?). I think Sean is the guy that's got the great pictures of all the different colored AAAs. I'd really like to get them all someday. One of my favorite new lights is the Arc AAA UV. Not sure how I lived without this dandy little toy.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Virgo..what are you using the UV for (as in why do I need one? - I know I could check for "funny money", stamp my son's hands and if they don't have the correct stamp -> don't let them inside!) what else?

If those ARC AAA color beamshots are on the forum, could someone point them out? I'll try a search....

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Sigman. I don't suppose you really need one, they're just alot of fun. I've always liked playing with blacklights, and this one is tiny, portable, waterproof, and pretty near indestructable. My only other compact UV light runs on 4 AA batteries, uses them up quickly, uses a tube that burns out, and has a plastic casing. Still fun, but not truly portable, and the battery thing makes a difference. I use mine mostly for scorpion detection. Lots of those around here. The other reasons you mentioned above are fun. Always seems to impress others when you light up the currency strips :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...and besides doesn't a "Flashaholic" - NEED them all!?
grin.gif

BTW, just did a search and couldn't find any beamshots of the different ARC AAA colors. However I did see several comments/requests for Peter to put out a "set of the different color heads"...

My special request would be for a "complete ARC AAA colors set with battery housings". CPF Limited Edition?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think you're right... best to get them all!
I was doing a search too, and came up with nothing. I know I saw a picture of every model lined up and switched on very recently. For some reason I thought Sean from Sean's Flashlight Site posted them, but I could easily be mistaken.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sigman, or course you need one, it is also handy for detecting all kinds of bodily fluids...hotel rooms?

a complete arc aaa colors set would be a great idea! quite pricy though.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
>>a complete arc aa colors set would be a great idea! quite pricy though
---------------------------

Well maybe, merely installing different color LEDs wouldn't hardly (if any) add to the torches price, would it? The cost of course would be in getting "all" of them complete, hopefully with "CPF Limited Edition 2003" engraved.

Pre-sell them, eh? (I suppose we couldn't "hope for" different color anodizing on each torch applicable to the LED color...since that's done in batches, I have no idea what that could do to total price.)

After looking at Roy's collection of MiniMags..."That's what I'm talking about"...Then again the MiniMags are affordable to put together a collection like that...you're right $$ may be "out of tolerance".

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i was actually refering to the cost times the number of lights, lets say there are 6 flavors in a set, that would be around $150 or more, (just a guess, as it could include a tin or box of some sort)

Dcon67

Newly Enlightened
Rothrandir,

THAT was the thread that made me think to get the red Arc for my dog!! Darrel and Zeke!

Before I got my first AAA and was trying to decide what kind of keychain light to get, I went back through about a years worth of threads reading the interesting looking ones.

LOL, I now have 4 of them, 2 white, 1 red, and 1 Le. Plus a few more to give as gifts this year!
smile.gif
Oh yeah, and Berkley mini clips for all.
grin.gif

Plus, I think next years CPF edition is in my future, as well as a UV....{sigh} might as well count me in on the all colors collection pack if Peter would be so kind as to put one together.

Tomas

Banned
Originally posted by Gransee:

Peter Gransee
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Back when I was flying (piloting) on a regular basis I'd have done all sorts of things for a red Arc AAA. The perfect pilot's friend . . .

(You're right about the military, though, Peter - In Viet Nam I'd have been able to sell as many spares as I could have gotten to my buddies.)

tomsig01.gif

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I hope the red Arc AAA comes back!!

Red LEDs is what started my infatuation with flashlights in the summer of 2001. I wanted a red Arc but bought an Arc LE instead (Damn you reviewers! Damn you!
smile.gif
), then a turqoise Arc, then a CPF Arc, and then ... the red ones were discontinued ... arghhh!!! So I treated myself to an Arc LS
grin.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Oh good, glad my post could be of help these many months later.
smile.gif

As Ryan says, there just no reason at all to be concerned with the waterproofness of the Arc AAA. Even the older ones. They work when filled with water! The electronics are completely epoxied. Add to that the fact that the O-ring does an exceptional job of keeping the water out anyway, and you simply have nothing to fear. Mine go swimming with me all the time.

The only worry for the dog is knocking himself in the noggin when he does the "hey something itches around my neck, so I'll try shaking like mad" shake. Then the light will bonk him in the brain cavity and he'll wish he hadn't done that. I actually switched over to a red Photon III for dog duty (vs. doody). Now when he shakes he manages to turn the stupid thing off half the time. The Arc would be superior in many ways. Now I want a red one too!

Status
Not open for further replies.