Anybody heard of a rectangular 4AAA LED light that runs on NIMH?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking that it would be cool if there was a short rectangular light that ran on 4AAA NIMH rechargeable batteries. In series, this would be enough voltage to run an LED direct drive without need for a step up which should make it fairly efficient as well.

The light would be small and the reflector could even be rectangular shaped and as deep as was necessary to get good throw. It could have a barrel switch or a tailswitch. (not another reverse clicky of course) but a good switch. I would really like something like that because it could be made bright enough to be a tactical light, but extremely compact and rechargeable! There could even be a 4AA big brother.

-------------/-\-----
| |
| |
---------------------

Last edited:

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I have not heard of any rectangular lights running on 4AAA Nimh batteries, but I love my Elektrolumens My Little Friend light with 3 P4 leds that runs on 4 AAA batteries! On it's 'low' setting, it is as bright as most of my other single emitter cree lights. On it's high setting, it is very impressive.

4AAA would not have any advantage over 3AAA unless it has a very high efficiency down converter to reduce the current draw from cells.

4AAA in passive setup would go through the batteries just as quick as 3AAA. it would simply have a larger value resistor and dissipate more heat.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
4AAA would not have any advantage over 3AAA unless it has a very high efficiency down converter to reduce the current draw from cells.

4AAA in passive setup would go through the batteries just as quick as 3AAA. it would simply have a larger value resistor and dissipate more heat.

It would be brighter since the battery voltage of 4 NIMH AAA's would stay higher than the forward voltage of the LED for basically the entire run. 3 AAA's may dip below this during the run, depending on the emitter.