My TLE-5EX had such a short. promising future, and then tragedy struck.

jernan001

Newly Enlightened
I wanted an upgrade for an old MM. Splurged for the TLE-5EX and was very surprised to see how it performed for up close maintenance work and the amount of throw/spill so that I really considered using it for a backup security light.
buttrock.gif

I remembered reading about needing to add an extra washer for heat sinking and I raced to the maintenence room to insert the proper washer. I placed the silver MM on top of the while I started to pull out parts drawers and for some reason unscrewed and removed the head fiquring that I would save some time while searching for the washer.
jpshakehead.gif

Then tragedy struck. As I opened the first drawer, the MM decided to do a 5' nose dive and landed head first on an angle on the hard, cold, unforgiving concrete floor. The drop-in cracked instantly and all illumination was lost instantly.
awman.gif

It was a short, yet very productive life. One that made me feel like I could do up close maintenance work without blinding myself and one that almost demanded that it should keep it as an backup work EDC.

Yes, the TLE-5EX will be missed, as well much as the $26.95 including shipping will be missed to replace it.
au.gif

Last edited:

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about that:thumbsdow . I like my TLE-5EX, great for some of the close up work I do and with the IQ on it I always have the best light for the job. I know the IQ kills the output but if I need more then I fit my terralux clicky.:)

I also keep a lanyard and pocket clip on it so hopefully it won't roll off the bench:oops:

Vickers

Enlightened
For close-up work, it's hard to beat the NiteIze $5 drop-in for the MiniMag.

Sorry about your other one, that's a drag.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Vickers said:
For close-up work, it's hard to beat the NiteIze $5 drop-in for the MiniMag.

Sorry about your other one, that's a drag.

You're probably right, I bought mine before before I had the wealth of knowledge that is CPF behind me. Bright is right I thought and being a little bit of a gadget freak thought get that IQ as well as the Terralux clicky. Installed the TLE and Terralux clicky and was quite impressed, changed to the IQ and thought 'what a dog' initially but then found that sometimes too much light is not a good thing. The ability to swap between tailcaps gave me 4 different levels of light.

Has anyone got experience of the Nite-Ize clicky - good, bad or indifferent?

The Minimag is far from dead......off to start a question thread:sssh: