Why extra (o-ring) groove on Surefires?

cfromc

Enlightened
I am looking at two of my Surefires and it appears that there is an extra o-ring groove on both ends of the bodies (M3+C3). Is this there for a purpose or is there actually supposed to be 2 o-rings on both ends? If I put the 2nd o-rings in will it be better or cause problems? Both of the SFs I'm looking at were "nearly" new but not 100% NIB so I don't know how they came from the factory.

highorder

Enlightened
I add extra O rings. I use clickie switches almost exclusively, so there is no downside.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the models that have Seal/Diving counter parts usually just have extra o-rings and beefed up parts. No surprise that some of the bodies would have extra grooves.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My M3 and M2 have two orings.....It won't hurt anything if you put the other o-ring on if you want to.

Picture68.jpg

Last edited:

BBL

Enlightened
The twist switches are considerable harder to operate - thats the only downside.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Millennium Series comes standard with two o-rings on the TailCap-end of the bodies.
The main purpose of an additional o-ring seal is to allow for the component to be rotated underwater - the 2nd o-ring helps to ensure the seal remains watertight.
Secondary purpose is to help prevent accidental rotation of the component; in storage, transportation, carry & use.

Al