Why no titanium nitride finish on flashlights.

Calina

Enlightened
I am just wondering why we do not see any flashlights with a titanium nitrite surface coating.

It is not that expensive (probably not more than hard anodizing), would be very durable and it would look great.

Does anybody has an answer?

Last edited:

highorder

Enlightened
Re: Why no titanium nitrite finish on flashlights.

TiN, like many metal surface coatings, performs better on materials with higher surface hardness; ideally hardened steel or carbide.

perhaps hard anno is more flexible? I'll have to consult my library...

Calina

Enlightened

The Draco's coating is TiN over Ti.

I was thinking of titanium nitride over aluminium.

Thanks for the correction, it is indeed nitride.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Calina said:
The Draco's coating is TiN over Ti.

I was thinking of titanium nitride over aluminium.

Thanks for the correction, it is indeed nitride.

TiN will not stick to aluminum. I've experimented with Saruth M1T looks not as shiny as SS counterpart. More importantly, does not create permanent bond with aluminum. You can scratch it off with sharp objects. see post #13 for pics

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

H22A said:
TiN will not stick to aluminum. I've experimented with Saruth M1T looks not as shiny as SS counterpart. More importantly, does not create permanent bond with aluminum. You can scratch it off with sharp objects. see post #13 for pics

This is new information to me.
I was always under the impression that the reason TiN was not used on Aluminum was because it is too soft and a slight dent will make the TiN crack and chip at that point. I have never heard of the coating scratching off.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anglepoise said:
This is new information to me.
I was always under the impression that the reason TiN was not used on Aluminum was because it is too soft and a slight dent will make the TiN crack and chip at that point. I have never heard of the coating scratching off.

You are correct aluminum is soft substrate which is easily cracked or chipped when dropped or applied slight force on sharp object such as knife.

Aluminum TiN coated in the pictures I attempt to scratch it with sharp knife and it scratched right off when applied slight force, unlike SS counterpart which was unaffected. I believe that aluminum is better off with HA for surface coating.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Calina, here is more information. Please see post #8 as Don clearly explain why aluminum is not suited for TiN coating.

Calina

Enlightened
Hey, hey, I wasn't the first to ask!

Well, to bad! I thought it would work but obviously it wouldn't.
I know there is a lot of expertise and knowledge available on CPF but still, I'm always amazed.

Thank you all for this information and the education.

Latest posts