Fenix L1S versus L1t

alexnego

Newly Enlightened
Hello boys !
What is the difference, in terms of brightness, between Fenix L1S and L1T ?
Can the Luxeon 3 outperform Luxeon 1, driven by the same power source (1 AA)? The lumen output can be noticeabla ? According to flashlight reviews web site, no reason to buy L1T. What's the truth ?
10x !

blademan

Enlightened
I would say the main reason to buy a L1-T would be the HA 3 and the ability to use two aa's with another body. I have a L1-t with cr123 body I use and can always go back to aa for camping with rechargeable. The numbers on flashlightreviews.com say the L1-T is brighter but not hugely.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
There's no real difference in output (although my L1S was slightly brighter on low than my L1T). The real difference is that the L1T can take a higher input voltage, so it can run on 2AA, 1 CR123A or 1 14500 Li ion rechargrable (the L1S can't). The LxT series also has HA III and uses premium tint bins, whereas the LxS series is HA II and uses a wider range of tints.

If none of that matters to you, stick with the L1S, it's a great light for the price.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
L1S: Type 2, Luxeon 1, 2 modes, 22 lumen, $29.25
L1T: HAIII, Luxeon III, 2 modes, 26 lumen, $46.50
L1D-CE: HAIII, Cree XR-E, 2 main modes, general(low-medium-high-SOS) and turbo(turbo-strobe),61 lumen, $55.50

Arranged in order of brightness according to Flashlightreviews. The L1T and L1D have a different body style then the L1S

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, I just received a L2S from 4sevens today ... and it is *much* brighter than I expected.

In fact, it has more throw and overall output than my L2T bought last summer. This is really odd - it's definitely an L2S head. Noticeable by eye, and confirmed with my home-made lightbox milk-carton setup.

I've noticed LED output tends to increase over the production run of a given light, but this is almost *twice* the overall output that Doug reported on flashlightreviews.com. In fact, output and throw is pretty close to my L2D-CE on high (not Turbo). Very bizarre ...