Is Mag going to make a AAA Minimag LED?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite small lights was always the AAA Minimag, it just felt/feels so nice in the hand and was such a nice size to drop in a shirt pocket with the clip or the hip pocket.

Has Mag announced if they are going to make the AAA Minimag?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
That'd be neat. One of my EDC's for about 4 solid years was a 2AAA. I had the pocket clip super glued on so I could carry it bezel down in my offside pocket.

gunga

Flashaholic
I know that many people don't like the MagLEDs here, but I have to admit, I'd probably get a AAA minimag LED.

I don't need the soli LED'd tho since I edc a Fenix LOD CE. Still, I bet they would sell lots (B& M stores all cary mag after all).

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they do but I wouldn't count on it. Took em a LONG time to switch over to
what they have now. I emailed them and let them know about it too. But with the
size of MAG Instument more people will have to let them know what they would
like to buy.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Don't get me wrong, Maglites are well machined, then nothing. To be perfectly honest in the States they seem to be cheap enough to be throw away lights. Not so here in the UK a minimag on the high street will cost £14.99:mad: , that's near as damn it $30. Minimags a bit cheaper but you get the picture.

A few years ago out in the middle east I bought a 2AAA Legend, lock out clicky tail cap, pocket clip as standard, rubber inset on the head and body, it kicks the minimag into touch in every respect. Like the Minimag though where's the light? Can this be modded sensibly and reasonably cheaply?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think they'll be putting an LED in the Solitaire first. Unless they feel the added cost would cut into the present sales numbers too much.

Geoff

Mike L.

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux TLE-20 is a good way to mod an AAA Mini to produce a good usable amount of light. Currently costs $11.95 or thereabouts. :)

--Mike L.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
Do you think that TLE-20 would work in the Legend? I don't mind a bit of faffing around :sssh: .

At present on my keyring I've got a Streamlight Key Mate, good enough to illuminate the keyhole when I come home bladdered. The length of the Solitaire would mean I'd have difficulty pointing flashlight and key at keyhole under the affluence of incohol. One time where a long one is a hinderance:grin2: . Personally I think I shall buy a couple more AA minimags while they're around for later mods. I don't think Maglites are at the moment going anywhere, any solitaire LED would most probably be outperformed by the likes of Fenix. Cs and Ds are getting LEDs but far from cutting edge. The bodies make great hosts but if the general public get a taste of Fenix and the cheaper clones Maglites could become even more of a collector's item.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I have no idea of the sales numbers, but based on how many stores sell the Solitaire and how few stores sell the 2xAAA Mag, I'd have to think that they'd upgrade the Solitaire first.

Of course, if 10 lumens or so is enough for you, then you can do they SMJLED mod to the 2xAAA Mag. About 10-15 hours of decent runtime with two primary lithium cells.

megawatt

Newly Enlightened
The TLE-20 is not designed for the Solitaire. I had one in a Solitaire and it failed after a few times turning the light on and off. When I contacted Terralux a guy there told me the TLE-20 is not for the Solitaire so no warranty on the unit used in a Solitaire. The leads on the TLE-20 are too long for the Solitaire and when turning the light on and off the glass hits the led and breaks the leads on the TLE-20 if you tighten it down all the way.

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
I think that a AAA mini mag led would be a average quality light at best. Running on less power than the AA would make for pretty bad regulation. Mag needs to get a more efficient package and then they'll be on to something.

just my two cents

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Solitare is still incan, but much improved.
Since I put LED modules in some of my MiniMags, I had MiniMag bulbs left over.
I put a MiniMag bulb in the Solitare, then put a 10440 li ion in the Solitare.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lee1959 said:
One of my favorite small lights was always the AAA Minimag, it just felt/feels so nice in the hand and was such a nice size to drop in a shirt pocket with the clip or the hip pocket....Has Mag announced if they are going to make the AAA Minimag?

Hey Lee1959, I wouldn't get my hopes up for seeing a LED 2AAA MiniMag anytime soon.

I've long been a big fan of 2AAA lights because I just love that 2AAA form factor. 2AAAs seem to be 'just right' in my hand, being long enough to handle/point well and be clipped into a shirt pocket, but short enough to carry fairly comfortably in trouser pockets.

Here's a light that looks close to what a 2AAA MiniMagLED would be, if Mag would actually make it: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Victorinox_AAA_LED_Flashlight.php

Note its length is only 4.75 inches, which is only 0.75 inches longer than typical 1AA lights. Weight is just over 2 oz with cells. Doesn't have a clip, but something could probably be found that'd fit.