On a lighter note: Dream Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomas

Banned
I know we all probably have a vision of what our imaginary dream Arc light might be like. I decided to toss mine out here, not as something I ever would expect to see, but simply as an idea generator - just a different vision.

I understand the desire many have for the proposed LS 3 (underdriven 5 W Luxeon), but personally the current hybrids are very close to the size/weight/battery life/light output that would be most useful to me.

Yeah, there are times when a more potent light would be really neat, but MOST of the time an LS 1 or 2 would fill my needs.

What would I, as a dreaming end user, like to see as an eventual evolutionary LS model? Well, start with the single 123 lithium (or twin 1/5A NiMH) cell for power, HA III finish, 20M waterproofing, extra hard lens (saphire watch crystal would be nice) a bit of battery cushioning, and a switch near the output end of the light (not on the tail).

I would never expect anything like this to be produced, but it sure would fulfill MY dreams for an ultra compact, extreme condition, economical to run (with the NiMH's) light for close in work.

Just for laughs, here's a pic of my imagined light, alongside the batteries I currently use in my LS hybrid.

rum3.jpg

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Tomas,

You have a nice dream
icon14.gif
. The switch on the head is a novel idea. I might be inclined to go with that as well if it did not weaken my grip on the light when turning it on and off. The reason I like the switch on the tailcap is more to maintain a secure grip on the light rather than look macho holding the light overhand.

IMHO the lust many CPFers have for the brighter, more powerful LS is due to fact that they have the "AAA" at the ready for close up work
smile.gif
. I also think that they will also keep quite a few of the previous version LS models for jobs that fall in between the "AAA" and LS3
grin.gif
grin.gif

Just my .02, keep dreaming...
cool.gif

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Yes
I love this one.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

How can we(at least me) make ARC aware that we want it badly? Hire a lawyer? (just kidding!!)
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Tomas:

Just for laughs, here's a pic of my imagined light, alongside the batteries I currently use in my LS hybrid.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I wonder who will laugh the nice pic.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Can I donload this for my wall paper of my conputer? I hope this dream will come true.
wink.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sean:
I wonder if Arc has thought about putting a switch on the head like that. Not a bad idea.
icon14.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You bet. We even have switches from different manufacturers here for that type of mount.

Peter Gransee

Tomas

Banned
RE: Arc AAA

My opinion of the Arc AAA is that it is a very nearly mature product that needs only change as improved technology surfaces, or as better manufacturing techniques show up.

If newer/better electronics or LED's become available, then an evolutionary change to make the product better would make sense (3.2, 3.3, etc.). Same with possible improvements in manufacturing, such as better crimp methods, better contact materials, whatever.

Changes to the basic design, however, would make it a different product, possibly one to come out alongside the Arc AAA, but not one to replace it.

This doesn't mean that a single AAA light with touch switch dimmer/timer and contacts for recharging the included NiMH battery while still in the light (with no increase in size, of course) wouldn't be neat, just that it would no longer be the Arc AAA we all love.
grin.gif

tomsig01.gif

RailLight

Newly Enlightened
Looks good. Make mine with variable brightness via the switch - one click for dim two for medium
brightness three clicks for full power.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
...peter might need to put a switch on the aaa...

i like it just the way it is though.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like a very nice idea. May turn out to be not so much of a dream. Before it can manifest in the physical, it MUST be imagined (the idea).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"The grass is greener on the other side...(until you get there)..."

I don't know, where would a switch go, on the tailcap? I like holding my AAAs my hands and merely twisting the head with thumb and index finger, works very good for me. I would worry what it would do the the AAA architecture.

I do like the looks of Tomas' "Theoretical ARC LS 4.0" though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i kind of cheat with my arc aaa.

i rotate it on...then rotate it just enough to be off...then when i want momentary on, i just push the head towards the body.

the only improvement in the arc aaa in my opinions, (well besides the obvious brightness that applies to every light) would be more aggressive knurling. most peope agree that it is perfect just the way it is, and i agree, except i like knurling that is enough to make your hands bloody...

Status
Not open for further replies.