ls second-ocasional blink(edit-its a flex failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
went to use it again and it now appears to be a flex failure.
contacting Peter.

does not change with pressure.
setup is 2aa with nimh.
sort of a quick blinkblink and then ok.
random and not very frequent.
anyone else see this?
cannot get it to do it intentionaly though.
tried heat(hairdryer),cold(freezespray)tapping on table,ect.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Snakebite,

As I just mentioned in another thread, I think you have an intermittant ground failure between the PCB and the contact shoulder of the coupling sleeve. If you heat up the head in an oven or with a heat gun and then break the thread lock between head and sleeve, I am willing to bet that you can tighten the sleeve to head, recompressing the PCB between the teo and your light will again work.

To keep from damaging the HA, I used two pairs of channel locks and wrapped a short piece of thick webbing on both the head and sleeve so the teeth of the channellocks never got to bite into the HA. Ideally, you should try to heat the sleeve while keeping the head from getting as hot.

I have had two failures that were remedied by this solution. Obviously your mileage may vary and Peter has been a saint about fixing this problem when given the chance. Due to the nature of the mechanical contact for the electrical path, I prefer a solution where you can tighten the contact at will as well as take the components apart for cleaning when needed.

- Don

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i emailed peter about this.
i am thinking about taking it apart but wanted to talk to him first.
i know he will exchange without a problem but thought if i fix it i might come up with a lasting fix.might benefit arc and ls owners.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get this too, but only when the batteries need to be recharged. I always think it's flex failure at first though, because it's at near full brightness and dims/flickers suddenly. If I turn it off and on again it starts out at full brightness and flickers/dims again. I realized that it's dropping into moon mode so recharging the batteries fixes my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.