Whoa ... is it just me, or did the Fenix L2S suddenly get a lot brighter? BEAMSHOTS!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
[EDIT - May 31/07 - Just received a second L2S for fenix-store.com, and I'm sorry to report it's ~25% dimmer than the first one that I reported here. Looks like the first one I received was an unsually high performer - this one is more in keeping with what I expected for this Lux I light. Oh well ... guess which one I'll be modding first!]

Just received a new Fenix L2S from 4sevens today, and I am blown away by how bright it is. I know we are all cree-zy these days (in fact, I bought it for moding purposes), but this is very surprising.

It readily out-throws my L2T bought last summer, and gives off a *lot* more overall light [EDIT: my earlier milk-carton lightbox runs seem to have been a bit off - it doesn't seem that much brighter in the beamshots. New side-by-side comparisons in my light box this morning says the L2S is ~10% brighter overall than the L2T on either Lo or Hi modes]. The head is clearly labelled L2S, 1W LED.

But according to my home made lightbox setup (calibrated to Doug's excellent flashlightreviews.com rating system), throw is in the FR 35-40 range, and overall output is in the FR 45-50 range. :drool: [EDIT: Based on the pics, I would estimate L2S is ~FR 35 . Re-ran the lightbox measures side-by-side this morning, and output for the L2S is now showing up as closer to ~FR 40].

I don't get this at all - it is almost as bright as my new L2D-CE on High (not Turbo). I've noticed LED output tends to increase over the production run of a given light, but this is pretty unbelievable from a Lux I!
Anyone else have this experience? Almost seems like a waste to mod such a good performer. :lolsign:
[EDIT: Beamblots added]

All shots were taken with fresh-off-the-charger Sanyo 2500 mAh NiMH.

According the flashlightreviews.com, throw/output for the L2S on Hi is 27/24 and for the L2T on Hi is 32/32

L2S Hi on left, L2T Hi on right (F1/8, shutter 1/2 sec)
L2SL2T1-2.jpg

L2S Hi on left, L2T Hi on right (F1/8, shutter 1/20 sec)
L2SL2T1-20.jpg

Conclusion: Despite being rated much lower, the L2S throw further than the L2T, and has slightly more overall output. Note I have no reason to believe my one-year old L2T is sub-standard - I've had 3 P1s with the same approximate output, and my numbers on these lights correlate very well with flashlightreviews.com.

According to flashlightreviews.com, throw/output for the L2D-CE on Med is 30/25, so it should be just marginally brighter than the L2S.

L2S Hi on left, L2D-CE Med on right (F1/8, shutter 1/2 sec)
L2SL2DMed1-2.jpg

L2S Hi on left, L2D-CE Med on right (F1/8, shutter 1/20 sec)
L2SL2DMed1-20.jpg

Conclusion: Again, the L2S throws further than the L2D-CE on medium, and has more overall output

According to flashlightreviews.com, throw/output for the L2D-CE on Hi is 42/50, so it should blow away the L2S.

L2S Hi on left, L2D-CE Hi on right (F1/8, shutter 1/2 sec)
L2SL2DHi1-2.jpg

L2S Hi on left, L2D-CE Hi on right (F1/8, shutter 1/20 sec)
L2SL2DHi1-20.jpg

Conclusion: the L2S throws the same as the L2D-CE on Hi, but has less overall output. Note that my home-made lightbox says L2S output is actually closer to the L2D-CE on Hi than Medium, but it doesn't seem that way in the pictures.

There you have it folks - and no, the lights are not reversed in the beamshots! This new L2S is one of helluva performer. Of course, YMMV ...
:sold:

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whoa ... is it just me, or did the Fenix L2S suddenly get a lot brighter?

I was upgrading a good many L2S over the past few months. They have all been really good performers out of the box. I agree, I was thinking to myself "why mod this lottery winner?" :)

thezman

Enlightened

Do you have any idea how many mA are being drawn from the battery on the L2S?

thezman

Enlightened

A reading on low and high would be great. :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Maybe you got one of those special LEDs. You know,the ones they used in the HDS U85s.

D@rk Messenger

Enlightened

Maybe a super S bin got mixed in, lol...you know, the ones in the maxlight 1.0's?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I'll check voltages tomorrow. Runtime just finished - haven't analyzed the data yet, but it seems in keeping with my L2T results (i.e. over 2 hours to 50% on the same 2100mAh NiMH I used last summer). Full results tomorrow.

As for output, on Hi this new L2S throws more that 10% further than my L2T, with more than 20% more overall output. On Lo it's about the same as the L2T.

[EDIT: Re-ran the milk carton lightbox measures side-by-side with the L2T and L2D-CE this morning, it the L2S is showing up ~10% brighter than the L2T on both Hi and Lo. The L2S is intermediate to the L2D-CE Med/Hi output readings, but much closer to the Hi output.]

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Whoa ... is it just me, or did the Fenix L2S suddenly get a lot brighter? BEAMSHOTS!

Just updated the main post with beamshots.

FYI, runtime on the same Duracell 2100 mAh I used for my L2T last year (which gave 2hr 23mins to 50% on the L2T), gave me 1hr 58mins today with the L2S.

When you consider that those batteries have gone through a lot of discharges since then, I'd say the results are pretty much a wash.

Conclusion: this L2S throws farther than my year-old L2T, is slightly brighter overall, and has comparable runtime.

[EDIT: updated earlier posts with new confirmed ightbox numbers. Conclusions remain unchanged]

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
nanotech17 said:
:eek: that is a super L2S !
I'm very impressed too. With the CPF discount, these are <$30 shipped at fenix-store.com. I'm tempted to pick up a few more!

Of course, I originally bought this one to mod, along with my exisiting L1T. We'll see how well I do with the "loctite-lottery" this weekend when I try to open the heads to swap emitters. :sweat:

I'll keep you posted ...

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whoa ... is it just me, or did the Fenix L2S suddenly get a lot brighter? BEAMSHOTS!

If i were you,i wouldn't want to swap the emitter until at least 12 months from now with occasionally use just like your L2T.That super L2S is just lovely ( i keep telling myself not to order one but until when....)
Just a suggestion.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just updated the main post ... I received another L2S, and its performance is a lot lower than this star performer. Just what you would expect for this light, in fact.

Oh well, you win some, you loose some. :whistle: