Streamlight Announces LED Version of 2AA Propolymer Flashlight

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive me if someone has posted a thread on this already, but I couldn't find one.

Looks very promising: http://flashlightnews.org/story754.shtml

I've wondered for a long time why Streamlight didn't offer a 2AA LED variant in the propolymer lineup. Priced at little more than a 2AA MiniMagLED. If the reflector is comparable to the other LED propolymers, it'll probably throw pretty decent for a 2AA light. And of course, it'll have the outrageous toughness of the propolymer line.

Can hardly wait until these are available.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
"While previously, users were required to press the tailcap for momentary illumination or to rotate the facecap bezel for continuous "on" power, the enhanced 2AA ProPolymer enables them to easily switch between the two modes simply by pressing the tailcap, giving them a free hand to treat a patient or handle equipment, for example,"

I never noticed that any of my propolymer lights operated using bezel turns.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
wasBlinded said:
It says 25 lumens from a .5 watt LED. Thats not state-of-the-art efficiency by any means.

Hmmm.... It may well use the Nichia Rigel LED like the SL Tasklight 2AA, which will output 25 lumens for something like 10 hours, with an hours-long tail of declining output afterward. Nichia Rigels are fairly efficient emitters.

I'm interested in this light mainly for outdoor use, where its ruggedized, drop-tested, waterproof construction will come in handy.

20 to 25 lumens is a sweet spot for outdoor utility-backup-emergency lights, being enough output to walk a rugged trail, accomplish about any task, and even to walk cross country if necessary. Also looks like it'd make a decent toolbox or glovebox light.

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
Hmmm.... It may well use the Nichia Rigel LED like the SL Tasklight 2AA, which will output 25 lumens for something like 10 hours, with an hours-long tail of declining output afterward. Nichia Rigels are fairly efficient emitters.

I'm interested in this light mainly for outdoor use, where its ruggedized, drop-tested, waterproof construction will come in handy.

20 to 25 lumens is a sweet spot for outdoor utility-backup-emergency lights, being enough output to walk a rugged trail, accomplish about any task, and even to walk cross country if necessary. Also looks like it'd make a decent toolbox or glovebox light.

ok ok i understand the special use maybe, BUT why (streamlight) not drop a cree in that baby and really take it to another level?! oh well I guess I'll have to keep waiting I just really wish they would get into the new led technology

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
I never noticed that any of my propolymer lights operated using bezel turns.
All of my old incan Propolymers work that way with the momentary button and twisty bezel. My 2AA has had a SMJLED in it for awhile now for a 35 hour runtime.
iveseenthelight said:
ok ok i understand the special use maybe, BUT why (streamlight) not drop a cree in that baby and really take it to another level?!
Remember even the highly regarded Luxeon Propolymers are only 1W lights, since there is no getting away from the completely insulated plastic construction. But even twice as bright for the same heat/runtime would be most excellent.

A 2AA CREE with 110 minutes runtime on 2 alkalines would be ideal, but it may be the cost of a boost regulator is prohibitive. After all I bet they sell a lot more of the 7 LED 4AA Propolymers than the fully buck regulated 4AA Luxeon Propolymers even though the price difference is only five bucks. The 7 LED one is probably more profitable given that five bucks doesn't go very far to offset the cost of both a regulator and high-power LED.

I doubt a 2AA CREE Propolymer would cost less than a 4AA Luxeon model to make, so it would have to sell in the $35-40 range.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
bfg9000 said:
A 2AA CREE with 110 minutes runtime on 2 alkalines would be ideal, but it may be the cost of a boost regulator is prohibitive. .....

I doubt a 2AA CREE Propolymer would cost less than a 4AA Luxeon model to make, so it would have to sell in the $35-40 range.

Streamlight would have to include a good heat sink if the outer casing is plastic. That could make a 2AA plastic Cree flashlight larger than the current 2AA models.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
bfg9000 said:
A 2AA CREE with 110 minutes runtime on 2 alkalines would be ideal, but it may be the cost of a boost regulator is prohibitive....I doubt a 2AA CREE Propolymer would cost less than a 4AA Luxeon model to make, so it would have to sell in the $35-40 range.

This 2AA model will also have to have a boost regulator, although it may be a cheaper regulator since it has to handle less current for a Nichia Rigel than it would for a Cree.

I agree that the cost of producing a PP 2AA Lux would be about the same as the cost of producing a PP 4AA Lux. Difference in cost of plastic, regulator circuit, etc. would be minimal.

I'm guessing Streamlight offers the 2AA PP LED at a somewhat cheaper MSRP than the 4AA PP Lux because it has a cheaper emitter and regulator.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh. I really wish they had made the batteries side by side instead. Would've made it MUCH more compact. I hope its available in black.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Argh. I really wish they had made the batteries side by side instead. Would've made it MUCH more compact. I hope its available in black.

Streamlight has a 2AA side-by-side design they haven't released quite yet. It's called the Sidewinder.