SUREFIRE KL1 vs. ARC LS1/Future LS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I've been gone awhile and just recently discovered the KL1(don't own it but read about it).
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or perhaps even some hard and fast data on the brightness of these competitors(KL1,current LS version,and future LS2.
Obviously the LS2 is for now still somewhat of a mythical beast but I thought perhaps somewhere it's estimated output might have been mentioned.
Any info on the KL1's pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.
I've read some great things about it and I'm wondering if anyone might verify or deny?? (Mainly interested in how it stacks up on the brightnes/beam width/smoothness fronts.)
Thanks guys for any help you might offer.
STEELHEAD

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks sean,
I had read that the kl1 w/e2e will give regulated peak output for around 4 1/2 hours and that the beam smoothness and color is unmatched.
Though the size is greater the longer runtime,ability to switch to the 60 lumen incandescent,pyrex lens,anti roll bezel w/clip,inconspicuous tailswitch and most importantly the price:about 39.99 for the kl1 and around 65.00 for the e2e total 105.00 combine to make for one light I just can't find a lot of fault with.
This is probably going to make the list for Christmas.
Thanks for the help and anyone else out there with any thoughts one way or the other please chime in.
Sincerely,
STEELHEAD

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
If you are needing both lights and size is not a big consideration why don't you get an E2e for the 60 lumens and and a Badboy 500, LGI, Electrolumens light or similiar 2/3 AA. They are probably just as bright and use cheaper batteries than the KL1 and for $40 plus $8 for a mag body. You have two lights and don't have to switch out heads.
Another $.02

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Stealhead, you have good points.
However, the KL1 runtime you are noting IS with 2 123's. If you want longer runtime with an ARC LS or LS2, just use higher capacity nimh. the LS is more efficient at lower voltages (around 3V or less), since it employs a step-up converter. However, the KL1 does have the advantage of using a step up AND step down converter.

It just comes down to what kind of light you want. They're a bit different. I love my KL1, but I also love my ARC LS hybrid. The LS2 should be brighter and just as good (or better) than the KL1 in color. (Preliminary tests I did showed this.) It really depends on what you like. Some like a bluish white color (ARC LS2), some like a violet white color (KL1). Of course, there are variations with both, too...

I would get both, but if you can only get one, then you did give great reasons for your choice.
smile.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Steelhead:
Thanks sean,
I had read that the kl1 w/e2e will give regulated peak output for around 4 1/2 hours and that the beam smoothness and color is unmatched.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, using 2 123's in my Arc LS (one at a time) I would get 5 hours of regulated output.

And as for beam smoothness, my LS1 rev2 has a blue/violet hot-spot & corona, the flux is perfect, the beam color is constant througout.
Remember that luxeons all vary and are hand picked by both Arc & Surefire, so both companies get the same mixed-bag of luxeons. No one manufacturer has a corner on "good luxeons".

For comparison, my KL1 has a nice blue hotspot with a green corona, not what I would call great flux. The green is very noticeable in "moon-mode" Definately not as good as my LS1.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the tests I have done the KL1 is about 20% brighter than the most current Arc LS1.

Runtime:
Neither the KL1 or LS run perfectly flat regulation but they are both really close.

KL1 ~90 minutes
LS1 rev2 ~180 minutes

The E1 w/KL1 is twice the size (length) as the Arc LS.

I prefer the Arc LS for it's smaller size and double the run time in regulation.

The LS2 should be a little brighter than the LS1 and have a tighter hot-spot but it's anybodies guess as to how much brighter it will be.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are very close the hot spot on the Arc is bigger but the over all output of the KL1 is a bit larger.

PS. I had two KL1's and this was the brighter unit.

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Thanks much jtivat,
Excellent beam shots. I like the KL1 more and more each day and your beam shots make it apparent that even with an e1e the output of the KL1 is greater .
The e2e/KL1 to my understending provides an even greater output still although not substantially.
I think this is exactly what we need here on this forum. Comparative beam shots with output readings and descriptions of just about every LED light out there. A bit of a pain yes but how unbelievably useful.
Thanks again,
Look forward to your posts in the future.
STEELHEAD

Ron Schroeder

Enlightened
I think the the LS1 will be my favorite for a long time over my KL1 or the future LS2 due to it's ability to run on a single AA. I do run other combinations but the single AA is my EDC. Just the right balance of brightness and beam width.

Status
Not open for further replies.