is the ARC AAA that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it brighter than my photon? is it that much better?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
twak.gif
doh! search function. thanks.
tongue.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion the only thing holding back this light as being perfect is that it is not constant current regulated.

artar

Enlightened
Originally posted by tkl:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">* brighter than photon ? its 85 % og a photon with fresh lithiums. but the photon will dim after 5 min. the arc will shine the next 4-5 hours with nearly the same brightnes.

* better than photon ? yes and no. for short (1-10 seconds) burst of light the photon is much better than arc. but for the rest the arc is the winner.

i have both on my keychain. i could do without the photon but not without the arc.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by artar:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by tkl:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">* brighter than photon ? its 85 % og a photon with fresh lithiums. but the photon will dim after 5 min. the arc will shine the next 4-5 hours with nearly the same brightnes.

* better than photon ? yes and no. for short (1-10 seconds) burst of light the photon is much better than arc. but for the rest the arc is the winner.

i have both on my keychain. i could do without the photon but not without the arc.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i will only need it for short bursts mostly. if it's not any brighter i'll save my $$'s and keep using my photon. it is lighter and smaller anyway.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ok lets go Kids...

The Arc AAA isn't "that" good...it's excellent, which is several rungs above "that" good.

I think most of this has been said...I'll say it again.

Is it brighter than my Photon?
When the batteries in your Photon are brand new, and the batteries in your Arc are new, than the Photon is going to be brighter. When the batteries in your Photon are 20% dead, and the batteries in your Arc are 20% dead, than the Arc is going to be brigher.

It's insanely durrable, small, and efficient with batteries. It's an excellent EDC. I like mine so much I refused to send it in for months even though it had a slight, minor, tiny problem. I have finally sent it in and am waiting for a replacement/repair. Peter's customer service has been top notch.

It's silly but understandable that people doubt the Arc. I'd like to see a TV infomercial for it. What the difference would be is this: Unlike other infomercials, all the amazing things you'd see the Arc do and live through would all be truth. It really is one of the only production lights (Homebuilt lights are a whole different mater) that is too good to be true...but it is (True).

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Definately, the ARC "AAA" is that good. I would be very upset to misplace even one of the three I have, (LE, standard, and Turquose). I like my Photon IIs for the key ring and zipper pulls.

I think in a previous thread it was Saaby who made a statement to the effect of keeping the ARC "AAA" seperate in your pocket to keep it more available and easier to use. Leave the smaller lights like a Photon on the keys.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like it's been posted, why not carry both? I have a photon 3 on the keychain along with the arc. Although the arc gets the brunt of the use, the photon 3 on low setting would make a last ditch survival light, running several hours on that low level which still puts out enough light so you could probably see what's in front of you in the complete dark.

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
tkl: "i will only need it for short bursts mostly. if it's not any brighter i'll save my $$'s"

You might want to take a longer view. Compare the price of a AAA versus 2 lithium coins. And consider that one AAA contains about 4 times as much energy as two coins. And if brightness is what you crave, you'll be changing batteries often.

The Arc AAA is truly worth it for what will become your most used flashlight.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
i will only need it for short bursts mostly. if it's not any brighter i'll save my $$'s and keep using my photon. it is lighter and smaller anyway.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you only use your keychain light for a minute a day (which is a lot for 'occasional' use)...you will be changing the Photon batteries about once every 2 years. At this rate of usage, the Photon is a great keychain light...especially the PIII. You can set it on dim (which is bright enough for many things) then press the full strength button if you need that.

A great combination of light weight, durability, brightness, flexibility and long battery life (even in cold weather). IMHO
smile.gif

Of course, I own an ARC AAA too!
(and love it...I just don't use it on my keychain anymore)

My daughter went camping one time and forgot >shudder< to take a flashlight. All she had was the Photon II turquoise on her keychain. It worked out fine! A great little light!

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to hold one to believe it. Both the black HA and the LE editions are beauties. Even if it were not as bright as it is you would still be blown away. I am now looking to clothe mine in stitched leather vests. Anyone care to suggest a place who will custom make a few?

Get one. You will likely end up with several.
grin.gif

Afterimage

Newly Enlightened
If you only use your keychain light for a minute a day (which is a lot for 'occasional' use)...you will be changing the Photon batteries about once every 2 years.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">According to Brock's runtime tests, the Photon is at about half its orginal brightness after an hour. That's pretty noticeable. I bet this is when tkl would want to change batteries. That's about two months. Let's say three months because that is about how often I changed batteries in my Photon-type light when I had one (and I used it "occasionally").

The Arc AAA would take about a year to drop to this brightness level.

Status
Not open for further replies.