What do you keep your Arc AAA on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keychain, lanyard?

I keep mine at my side 24/7 with a retractable badge holder. Perfect for quick usage.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Berkeleypoint SS Clip. I then attach it to a belt loop. Anytime I need it, it's about 2 seconds away.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine's always on a lanyard around my neck, except when I shower or when I sleep. That way it's always available, no matter my state of dress (or undress). TX

Tomas

Banned
Really 24/7 - not attached to clothing, etc.

Wear all the time, on SS clip and SS chain. Including in shower and to bed. PIC:
AAA01.jpg

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I have been keeping it in rfp, around neck or on night stand. Currently around neck
grin.gif
. Question: Where can I find those small clips and swivels that I see in so many ARC pics? I need it, need it, need it... Any ideas?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i took a chain off a radio-shack red led keychain light, and soldered all of the links to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart (hey, you can never be too careful when it comes to your tresaure), i then put it on the ring of the arc.

i attach it to a rock-climbing clip (a c-ring i believe it is called) which is attached to my belt. this way, any other flashlight that is in my front right pocket can have the lanyard go through the clip to ensure i don't loose it. (i loose everything! seriously, i think i am starting to loose my mind...i might elaborate later in another thread
frown.gif
)

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Gone Jeepin asks: Where do you get the SS clips? I've also seen them in Titanium but have lost the links. O the tragedy!

Cheers.

Tomas

Banned
Originally posted by Sigman:
Tomas - where did you get the SS chain?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I get the SS chain by buying those "medic tags" at the pharmacy and tossing the tag.

If anyone knows where to just buy the chain, I'd like to know, too - it should be cheaper, eh?
rolleyes.gif

(I've found those chains to be VERY tough, and decently made. This one is probably close to ten years old . . . )

tomsig01.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Rothrandir.

I could be mistaken about the Ti. If I do find the link I'll post it. The Ti I saw was not for sale yet. Whether it was truly Ti or just Ti finish I could not say.

Cheers.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Berkeleypoint sells 2 clips...the SS Miniclip, that clip loved by so many here...and then another, similar clip that is more of a pair shape. The SS Miniclip only comes in Stainless Steel--shiny or bead-blasted dull. The other, more pair shaped clip comes in both Stainless or Ti.

Now...before somone suggests a Ti Arc AAA, it wouldn't work. Ti is a bad conductor of Electricity.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saaby,

It's Peter's job to get around the laws of physics and make an Arc Ti that works
grin.gif
. I always ask for Ti irrespective of electrical or thermal conductivity. Hey it's not my fault that Ti is not easy to work with
tongue.gif
. Besides how else are we gonna get to pay $150 bucks for a AAA?

Edit: Minjin, That is a fine website. Hey my Arc's lanyard cost three times as much as the Arc itself
grin.gif

Cheers.

nihraguk

Enlightened
i removed the ring at the end of it so it doesn't rattle around, and i keep it in my pocket all the time
smile.gif

it came in very handy 2 days ago when i did some upgrades to my computer. the smooth white light was really a big improvement over the yellow, flickering and ringy beam of the mini maglite AA i used to use.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Saaby:
Now...before somone suggests a Ti Arc AAA, it wouldn't work. Ti is a bad conductor of Electricity.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Saaby,

Is this a dejavu or did I also disagree with your statement about Ti and electricity in another thread? I think Ti is a better conductor for electricity than oxidized or tarnished brass or Al. It does have a very high thermal resistance but in the case of something like the Arc AAA, the electrical path would be fine.

- Don

NightShift

Enlightened
I wasn't sure what to do with mine, glad this thread came up. Currently I have it attached to this keyring thing from one of my keychain laser pointers in case I need it to hang on to something. I was going to attach it to my keys, but I think it deserves it's own pocket space
smile.gif

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, Saaby,

Just for comparison: Ti's electrical resistivity is 16x that of aluminum. To achieve the same ground path characteristics as pure POLISHED Aluminum you need to increase the contact surface area (and the cross-section of the Arc) by 16 times. In reality, however, you do not have to do that because the voltage drop involved is too small to worry about (see below).

As Don mentioned a HA 3 layer will have a higher contact resistance than Ti. Its thermal resistivity is many many many orders of magnitude higher than either Al or Ti (think 18 zeros).

The voltage drop for a 1A load in the Arc AAA body is on the order of 0.2mV for Al and therefore on the order of 3mV for Ti (assuming perfect contact). This means that for typical Arc AAA loads the effect is negligible and Ti construction is feasible.

Thanks Don for spurring me to make a few quick calcs to put this issue to rest.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.