Uber-powered lights. Uses?

scottaw

Enlightened
Ok, i like flashlights as much as the next guy, edc one, use all mine fairly regularly, etc etc. Now since i've been hanging around here there's a lot of talk of 500+ lumens, HID's, and the other monster mods that a few of you guys make, does anyone actually use these lights? Now im not talking about wall hunting and giving everyone beamshots to drool over, im talking hiking, work, dog walking, anything? I can understand having maybe a 250ish lumen light for a police officer, or maybe even the BIG guns for a search and rescue team, but it seems like a lot of these beasts are just for "check this out" So here it is....if you have a 500+ lumen torch, id love to hear what you do with it. Cheers!

defblade

Newly Enlightened
1) Light up entire path/camp site for groups of Scouts on night hikes

2) Start fires

3) Check entire garden and half the field for what made that noise

4) Make people go "Bloody hell!" :)

5) Give me something to play with in the workshop (this should probably be higher up the list ;) )

6) To stroke and get that tingly feeling that soon you'll be doing 4 again

SCblur

Enlightened
I have a ROP-LE that I love. It's my brightest light. I use it primarily when I either a) need massive throw (I keep the stock reflector on for this reason) or b) when there's enough ambient light pollution to make my other lights less effective. I would say I burn maybe 5 minutes a week on it. But a wonderful 5 minutes they are my friend.

defusion

Enlightened
I don't have any stupid bright lights, the highest is my surefire m3 HOLA, and thats mostly my pocket rocket.
I do have ambitions for that SAR type of stuff your talking about, so i might someday put it to real use ;)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have to go a long way to be in very rural territory, this is where the ROP Mag 6D excels. With 1150 bulb lumens, about 700 make it out of the front. This is excellent for scanning over large fields to spot wildlife and to have some fun with. If things get a bit misty, the LEDs lose usefulness, but the Xenons cut through fog like a hot knife through butter.

Spin

Enlightened
IMO the "majority" of people with very high powered lights have them for the "wow" factor! Blind or impress my neighbors or friends!

defusion

Enlightened
Spin said:
IMO the "majority" of people with very high powered lights have them for the "wow" factor! Blind or impress my neighbors or friends!
This is true for most of the insane incan mods, and for some of those cheap bricks with 12v car-like batteries that throw a few miles.
But i don't think it's true for those AE 24w type's, they are more expensive per lumen then the alternatives, they have less throw (but still good enough IMO), but they do have long runtime and are carryable, which is what makes it perfect for people that actually use it for anything else then the WOW factor.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright lights are primarily tools but like a spare tire they are also highly appreciated when sorely needed. The fact that they are also fun is a free shot.

sims2k

Enlightened
For show and for stopping the neighborhood dogs when I take walks in the evening. Really don't use it for anything else but bragging rights.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was planning to use my 2D ROP(havent got all the parts yet) for navigating our smaller fishing boat at dark in unknown waters. Probably should get a real spotlight for this, but I think the ROP will do the trick, even the L2D I use now is sufficient to spot reefs.
But brighter is better, right? Right? :)

@SCBlur
Do you use the stock mag reflector? How long do you use it? The reflector is the part I'm missing so I'm tempted to try out the light with stock mag reflector.

cfromc

Enlightened
I use my ROP to locate and chase raccoons away. Like I just did last night. They actually HATE the light and will quickly climb my telephone pole or jump the fence to get away from it. It makes searching a lot easier when half the yard is lit up and I can look from the front of my front yard to the back of my back yard without moving. I also use it when there are boys over at my house talking to my daughter. It is slightly less threatening than a 12 gauge (haha, those with girls know what I mean). I actually didn't think I'd use it that much when I built it but with the rechargable batteries and the nice amount of light it puts out, I've been using it more and more. I usually grab it first now just because I like having more power than I need, rather than less.

indycrucible

Newly Enlightened
I use my Milky M273-KL2/Leef 1x18650/SW02 everynight to walk the dog. I'm so used to it now, that all my other "normal" lights (PM6-2390, SF A2, SF L1, Inova XO, SL ProPoly 4AA-Lux, etc) aren't bright enough.

westfork

Newly Enlightened
When you live 13 miles from the nearest street light, these flashlights have their uses. Checking on livestock, scaring off predators, and unlimited other applications.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
scottaw said:
So it seems like the rural farmers are winning here, anyone else really put one to good use?
Emphasis mine.

They are only winning if you define 'useful' explicitly as being only under normal conditions. That definition doesn't do much for me. Street lights only have value when there is power to light them. When the power is out it doesn't do any good to have one right outside your house. The main use for many of my lights would be to make some task possible when the normal power is interupted.
Sub_Umbra said:
Bright lights are primarily tools but like a spare tire they are also highly appreciated when sorely needed. The fact that they are also fun is a free shot.

Last edited:

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
High power lights are great for law enforcement.
I got an HID 24W for search and rescue. I don't carry this one. In unit.
High power incandescants (Like my Magchargers) for long range urban use.
New cree leds for normal uses, lots of power with long run times.
EDC lights (Fenix LOD-CE) to always have if needed.
One is none.
Some people laugh about me carring 3 lights just walking in a very safe neighborhood, but they do different things. Love my Lumapower Mini for throw.
Nuwai 032 for 3 levels of use.
Waiting on new Lumapower to see if it replaces anything.